• ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This too.
    The problems I have with USPS have usually been getting delivery of the item from the individual mail carrier person who's SUPPOSED to deliver it to my place.

#1 reason, they're too lazy to get out of the vehicle and bring it to my door.
    Then they LIE and CLAIM they attempted delivery but I wasn't home to receive it, and the ONLY way i even know this is when I check online at the tracking web page.

YET, I was right there and even saw them put letters in my mailbox at the street and drive away without getting out of their vehicle to deliver my package.
    So whenever it's USPS, I have to drop whatever I'm doing, and spend the WHOLE day watching for them, then RUN out the door to flag them down before they drive away

If I don't, then I have to drive down to the Post Office, then stand in front of a door and ring some stupid doorbell until they feel like opening the door and giving me my package.
    On a recent excursion to the Post Office on one of these phony "failed delivery attempts", I even had some idiot COCKILY telling me the address I gave him for my home of nearly 30 years doesn't exist!
    I pointed out to this moron "I've lived at this address almost 30 years. I THINK I know where I live!", which seemed to bring him to his senses, at least for the moment! :D

SURE, through the years, UPS and Fedex have made a FEW mistakes, but nothing even approaching repeatedly and INTENTIONALLY refusing to get out of their vehicle to deliver my package, and then lying about it.
    Honest mistakes I can tolerate.
    (There's very few things I hate in people more than those to tell my lies)

That right there is a GREAT reson to befriend your mail carrier. My mail carrier goes OUT OF HER WAY to make SURE that I get my packages - she is great. The ONLY times that I have had problems are when she is off, and has a substitute.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That right there is a GREAT reson to befriend your mail carrier. My mail carrier goes OUT OF HER WAY to make SURE that I get my packages - she is great. The ONLY times that I have had problems are when she is off, and has a substitute.

That may work where you're at, but it doesn't work when the carriers on any given day could be anybody.
    It was that way in Fishers where I lived for 30 years, and it's the same way now in Indy where I recently moved to.

But either way, why should I have to befriend and gain favor with somebody, JUST so they'll SIMPLY do the basic job they're being paid to do?

The MAIN part of the job is to deliver what they're given to deliver.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think Ed has my mail carrier!! She had the nerve to leave a note in the box one day saying she couldn't deliver a package because my gate was closed. It wasn't. I opened it before she came (checked the box to make sure she hadn't delivered early) and was waiting on the package. When I finally gave up and checked the box, my mail was there with a note that the package went back to the PO after attempting delivery. She wrote on it that the gate was closed. When confronted, she admitted the package wasn't even in her vehicle. Our PO is open from 8 to 11 or noon...that's it. So...I had no way to get it that day. It was something I was waiting on and needed. I do online complaints every single time there is a problem, and I have to say it was quite frequent for a while that I was filing them. Lately, it has been better...same carrier but the post master says she is extra careful with my mail and getting it right. I'm pretty sure they have a name for me, but I wear it with pride at this point. :rockwoot:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I usually screenshot the tracking detail as my packages progress to their destination. The few times they have gotten "lost" the tracking data I saw at the previous steps either changes or disappears.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think Ed has my mail carrier!! She had the nerve to leave a note in the box one day saying she couldn't deliver a package because my gate was closed. It wasn't. I opened it before she came (checked the box to make sure she hadn't delivered early) and was waiting on the package. When I finally gave up and checked the box, my mail was there with a note that the package went back to the PO after attempting delivery. She wrote on it that the gate was closed. When confronted, she admitted the package wasn't even in her vehicle. Our PO is open from 8 to 11 or noon...that's it. So...I had no way to get it that day. It was something I was waiting on and needed. I do online complaints every single time there is a problem, and I have to say it was quite frequent for a while that I was filing them. Lately, it has been better...same carrier but the post master says she is extra careful with my mail and getting it right. I'm pretty sure they have a name for me, but I wear it with pride at this point. :rockwoot:

This type of thing is why it's worth it to me to pay extra to have my packages delivered by UPS, Fedex, etc.
    NO, they aren't perfect, but the mistakes they've made over the years were much fewer, and NEVER due to just plain laziness.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Take it from someone who ships about 100 packages a week via USPS. The best thing to do is to send it priority of express mail. They are a little more but also come with insurance. If you ship first class, at least get insurance on it, but if you do get insurance, it may be better to just ship priority. If you absolutely cannot afford to loose the package or need it by a certain date, DO NOT SHIP USPS, Period. I can tell you some horror stories about USPS that I have gone through. I ended up finally insuring my packages through a third party who is better at fulfilling claims than USPS is. USPS will do everything in their power not to pay a claim, and let me tell you, they are experts at this.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This too. The problems I have with USPS have usually been getting delivery of the item from the individual mail carrier person who's SUPPOSED to deliver it to my place. #1 reason, they're too lazy to get out of the vehicle and bring it to my door. Then they LIE and CLAIM they attempted delivery but I wasn't home to receive it, and the ONLY way i even know this is when I check online at the tracking web page.
    I get that also, if it won't fit in the box they put a card in saying I wasn't home. I can see my box through the front window and saw him pull up and just drive off.

I finally called the post office to complain, the post master told me to call every time. It wasn't so much the "Not home, couldn't deliver" but not getting my mail, it being delivered to other houses, or getting other peoples mail. I had been just running it over to people, but he told me not to do that. He said they will send the driver back out to make a special trip to deliver to the right address. After a time or two I haven't gotten any of my neighbors mail...

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    That may work where you're at, but it doesn't work when the carriers on any given day could be anybody.
    It was that way in Fishers where I lived for 30 years, and it's the same way now in Indy where I recently moved to.

But either way, why should I have to befriend and gain favor with somebody, JUST so they'll SIMPLY do the basic job they're being paid to do?

The MAIN part of the job is to deliver what they're given to deliver.

Two words: HUMAN NATURE. In ANY service industry, if you are nice to the server, the server will usually do a BETTER job. When you are good to someone, they usually return it in kind. If you go to the trouble of learning the local barista's name & smile to them, they will be a little more careful in getting your order right than they would for someone who walks up and orders them around like they are beneath them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I get that also, if it won't fit in the box they put a card in saying I wasn't home. I can see my box through the front window and saw him pull up and just drive off.

I finally called the post office to complain, the postmaster told me to call every time. It wasn't so much the "Not home, couldn't deliver" but not getting my mail, it being delivered to other houses, or getting other peoples mail. I had been just running it over to people, but he told me not to do that. He said they will send the driver back out to make a special trip to deliver to the right address. After a time or two I haven't gotten any of my neighbors mail...

I put items back in the box and put the flag up AFTER I write on the envelope that it was misdelivered to my address and date it. That way, the neighbors KNOW I had their bank statement, credit card info, etc, and can also complain. They cannot do anything to discipline the carrier without documentation of the problem. I also take a photo with my phone of items I receive that are not mine and email the pictures to the postmaster. I have found that the local postmaster doesn't do much about the complaints though until I get the USPS customer service folks involved.

I also had issues with my son's mail not being forwarded. He moved from Indy in August and we did the forwarding order. I did not receive ANY forwarded mail until January after calling the post office multiple times to ask why it wasn't being forwarded and getting lies about how the carrier says he has been forwarding a few pieces of mail each month. I actually received mail that was forwarded by the tenant that moved into the house after he left as it was someone he knew that knew how to contact him and asked where to send his tax documents....for which we were quite thankful. When the post office was confronted with the fact that I had photos of things sent to me by the new tenant, they still said nothing was being delivered to his old address. I called the 800 number and shared what was going on, and suddenly his mail was being forwarded and we've had no more missing stuff that I am aware of.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Two words: HUMAN NATURE. In ANY service industry, if you are nice to the server, the server will usually do a BETTER job. When you are good to someone, they usually return it in kind. If you go to the trouble of learning the local barista's name & smile to them, they will be a little more careful in getting your order right than they would for someone who walks up and orders them around like they are beneath them.

I'm not against being polite, and I am unless given GOOD reason not to be.
    But you miss the point.
    A. There is no consistent mail delivery person from day to day to even get to know.
    B. I don't live out by the street in the ditch next to my mailbox by the road.

So again, there's no excuse for failing to simply do the basic job one is being paid to do.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I put items back in the box and put the flag up AFTER I write on the envelope that it was misdelivered to my address and date it. That way, the neighbors KNOW I had their bank statement, credit card info, etc, and can also complain.
    -Snip-

I do the same thing.
    I always write on the envelope that it was wrongly delivered to my mailbox.
    Besides them knowing it, if they happen to look out and see me getting in their mailbox, it covers me for why I was there.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not against being polite, and I am unless given GOOD reason not to be.
    But you miss the point.
    A. There is no consistent mail delivery person from day to day to even get to know.
    B. I don't live out by the street in the ditch next to my mailbox by the road.

So again, there's no excuse for failing to simply do the basic job one is being paid to do.

This EXACTLY!!! These people earn a good wage for doing their job. I don't think it is too much to expect them to just do it. I could write a book about the problems we have had...and others on our route who have shared their stories with me after hearing that we have had issues with the carrier. It is just ridiculous. The running joke is that Tuesday is "no mail Tuesday" because we rarely get a delivery on Tuesdays. If we do, it is because we had a sub. I think she just skips our road completely on Tuesdays.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    When hubby and I had our business, we shipped exclusively USPS. We lost about a package a month during delivery. We always shipped Priority, so we had insurance, but USPS says it was delivered, not their problem it wasn't delivered to the right address. So I was out shipping cost plus the items costs that we had shipped.

personally, I get neighbors mail when it is a sub carrier. I know they get ours too. I always make sure they get theirs, I am not so lucky. My car tags in late November never showed. I didn't realize it until January. No I am not scatter brained, I had surgery just a few days after I renewed and was healing from that for a month.
    Daughter, different town, different BMV, different post office, renewed her drivers license, it never showed.
    Next big delivery I am expecting is a passport, I sure hope it arrives where it is supposed to.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When hubby and I had our business, we shipped exclusively USPS. We lost about a package a month during delivery. We always shipped Priority, so we had insurance, but USPS says it was delivered, not their problem it wasn't delivered to the right address. So I was out shipping cost plus the items costs that we had shipped.

personally, I get neighbors mail when it is a sub carrier. I know they get ours too. I always make sure they get theirs, I am not so lucky. My car tags in late November never showed. I didn't realize it until January. No I am not scatter brained, I had surgery just a few days after I renewed and was healing from that for a month.
    Daughter, different town, different BMV, different post office, renewed her drivers license, it never showed.
    Next big delivery I am expecting is a passport, I sure hope it arrives where it is supposed to.

If it shows up here, I'll run it over to your princess! :lmfao:

Top Bottom