• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I just bought my first Mossberg 500 and picked it up yesterday. As I am inspecting it, I was testing the safety and the action lock lever--I wanted to pump the shotgun and inspect the action/chamber. However, the gun now appears "locked up". The trigger is in the rearward position and doesn't move. The action/chamber?? is only partially open. I can't pump the gun. This is true when in either safety position. The action lock lever is depressed but appears to be stuck. Any suggestions?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    This happened to me once after I had disassembled, cleaned and reassembled mine. The shell elevator was in kind of a halfway position, see if you can move yours. I've had mine for almost 20 years and its only happened once.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    It is brand new, just out of box. Was really just going through steps on page 13 of manual. As far as moving, it appears that the action (shell elevator) is halfway. But, everything is locked up--I can't move the forearm, I can't move the slide release, the trigger is locked back and is not releasing or moving. I can move the saftey switch forward and back, but that doesn't affect anything.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Anyone?

Help, this is my very first gun. Was hoping the Mossberg was idiot proof. Don't know what I could've doen wrong, followed instructions on page 13 "Function Testing". Frustrating.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Where did you pick the gun up from .. local gun shop than take it back to them to see if they can help. I rather not give advice without actually seeing the gun. INGO is a great place and I'm sure someone local may offer you help .. it's only been 6 hrs since your post ..

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Did you disassemble it before this happened? IF yes, you put something back wrong. IF no, then disassemble it now... because that's the only way to fix it.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    See if you can take it in to the gun shop in Lafayette... Applied Ballistics. Tell them you are new to INGO and guns and you posted on here and someone sent you to them. They are sight supporters (I think) and will probably help you out.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Fixed!

Thanks to all. Per advice took gun to Applied Ballistics. Dan hooked me up. Apparently the elevator mechanism wasn't seeded right during assembly and was bent inward. Dan took it apart, straightened it And positioned it correctly. Big thumbs up to all of you and Dan at AB.

I will now buy all my guns from ABS, not Buds. Local service trumps the few bucks you might save through a discount online store.

First gun I ever bought, the old reliable Mossberg 500. What were the odds mine would be defective out of the box?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Thanks to all. Per advice took gun to Applied Ballistics. Dan hooked me up. Apparently the elevator mechanism wasn't seeded right during assembly and was bent inward. Dan took it apart, straightened it And positioned it correctly. Big thumbs up to all of you and Dan at AB.

I will now buy all my guns from ABS, not Buds. Local service trumps the few bucks you might save through a discount online store.

First gun I ever bought, the old reliable Mossberg 500. What were the odds mine would be defective out of the box?
    Glad you got it fixed. Now that I read what happened I seem to recall that the one time mine jammed up I hadn't seated the elevator correctly and it jammed halfway.
    But now you are wiser than you were before this:rockwoot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm glad I read this. I've been thinking of going to Applied, because I've heard they have ranges I can shoot my high power stuff.
    After reading this, now its a definate. My mossberg lost its magazine spring, after I shot it 14 times. Maybe I assembled it wrong when I changed the stock, but it did work 14 times. Its my 1st shottie, so I'm not as knowledgeable.
    not looking for a freebie, I'm not a mooch. But I don't wanna get ripped off either.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    actaeon277. Five of the ranges at Applied Ballistics are rated for centerfire rifle. They are 25 yards, and you have to tell them what you are shooting. It has to be under a certain velocity and surplus steel core/ penetrator ammo is not allowed, but regular hunting type and lead core centerfire ammo is ok. I recommend the place!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    After reading this, now its a definate. My mossberg lost its magazine spring, after I shot it 14 times. Maybe I assembled it wrong when I changed the stock, but it did work 14 times. Its my 1st shottie, so I'm not as knowledgeable.
    not looking for a freebie, I'm not a mooch. But I don't wanna get ripped off either.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but you can't shoot shotguns at AB.

Not knocking them! I really like AB. Just letting him know in case he was planning on shooting his Mossberg there. :ingo:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not sure what you're trying to say, but you can't shoot shotguns at AB.

Not knocking them! I really like AB. Just letting him know in case he was planning on shooting his Mossberg there. :ingo:

Want to shoot rifles there.
    While I'm there, maybe I can get my shottie fixed. If they do good work with affordable price.

Top Bottom