HELP on Purchase of Kawasaki Mule or comparable UTV (Side X Side)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I feel well versed with car or truck purchases but when it comes to UTV (Side X Side) I just feel completely lost. Dealers talk to me about all the added costs such as freight, assembly by dealer and stuff like that. The add on accessories are easy to figure, it is just all the previous mentioned stuff. Anybody bought a new UTV recently that would be willing to share information? Example....told a price of 20K for a new Mule Pro-FXT Ranch Edition and then around 2500 additional in freight, assemble and fees. I know this stuff is still in short supply but is this reality of these things???

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    No experience with this type vehicle but I think where I would start is make a list of what you want in accessories. Then when they start adding on shipping and assembly tell them this is what you want and get their "out the door" price. Jim.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I was thinking about buying one too…then I decided that my Tacoma is probably just as capable and more reliable. And for 20k, I’m going to buy a 4x4 tractor instead and then start saving for a new truck in 5 years or so.

Point being…really think about why you ‘need’ one and that will help you decide which model to get. There are more utility focused models and then there are the models that are strictly for recreation.

They’re ALL overpriced in my opinion when compared to a nice used truck.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought a Kawasaki teryx 4 brand new about a year ago. The Freight, and assembly charges are normal. I didn't do a lot of accessories. The only thing I added is a winch. Ive owned 4 UTV's, and a winch is a must have. You wont use it often, but when you do, your sure glad you have it.

I agree that these things are expensive, but I disagree that a truck will do the same job. These things will maneuver in the woods a lot better, and wont tear up the ground as much. I live on a farm, and there are a lot of times (today for instance) I would not think about taking a 4x4 tractor, or truck out in the field. I will take my UTV. I use mine (mainly due to where I live) as often as I use my truck. For me, 15k is my cap for something like this. I need 4 seats, I need maneuverability, I want speed. That lead me to the teryx 4. I gave up on the speed. The fast 4 seaters are 20 foot long, so I loose maneuverability, and they break my 15k max budget. I found a 2020 camo teryx 4 with roof for 14200, added a winch for another 500 or so, and was in business. When I bought this one, I was replacing a 2012 teryx 4 that had about 6k miles (a lot for a utv)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Good luck with either purchase. If you can find one ! New.. way over priced. Used market same but just keep your eyes on the prize! Great machines I have a polaris ranger. Does everything I need and no regrets. Someone else will tell the same but inset brand xy or z
    It’s nuts what the market is bringing.
    The mule is a great machine.. just weigh out what your expectations are for your needs. You can wrap up a lot of money in add ons! Good luck

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Ive owned 4 UTV's, and a winch is a must have. You wont use it often, but when you do, your sure glad you have it.

I agree that these things are expensive, but I disagree that a truck will do the same job. These things will maneuver in the woods a lot better, and wont tear up the ground as much. I live on a farm, and there are a lot of times (today for instance) I would not think about taking a 4x4 tractor, or truck out in the field. I will take my UTV. I use mine (mainly due to where I live) as often as I use my truck.
    100% agree about the winch. I got my old 2wd racing quad stuck in the mud and had to leave it over night before in the middle of the woods until day break and I could come fish it out…I didn’t sleep very well that night.

And I meant ‘bang for buck’ wise in MY situation at least, my truck is much more capable and at a huge cost savings over a UTV. They’re popular for a reason, I guess…just not in my situation/budget.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    100% agree about the winch. I got my old 2wd racing quad stuck in the mud and had to leave it over night before in the middle of the woods until day break and I could come fish it out…I didn’t sleep very well that night.

And I meant ‘bang for buck’ wise in MY situation at least, my truck is much more capable and at a huge cost savings over a UTV. They’re popular for a reason, I guess…just not in my situation/budget.

Yep, every one's situation is different. If I lived in town, or something like that, I wouldn't pony up the money for one. My family and I live on a farm, and we go for joy rides 3-4 times a week in the summer. If I had to load it on a trailer, we would ride a few times a month.

The prices are a lot of sticker shock. I remember I bought a late 90's Polaris scrambler 400 2 stroke brand new from a dealer for 4800 bucks, and thought that was insanely expensive, but at the time that was the best machine on the market. Fast forward 20 years, and the price has doubed for a brand new ATV, and tripled/quadrupled for a new UTV.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I feel well versed with car or truck purchases but when it comes to UTV (Side X Side) I just feel completely lost. Dealers talk to me about all the added costs such as freight, assembly by dealer and stuff like that. The add on accessories are easy to figure, it is just all the previous mentioned stuff. Anybody bought a new UTV recently that would be willing to share information? Example....told a price of 20K for a new Mule Pro-FXT Ranch Edition and then around 2500 additional in freight, assemble and fees. I know this stuff is still in short supply but is this reality of these things???
    Our debate was 4x4 tractor or UTV first. Our needs were transportation around our property and hauling trees for making firewood. We decided on the UTV. In 2016, we bought this Gator. 50hp 4x4 2 seater.

Options included:
    * Front & rear brush guards, front & rear fender guards - working in tight spots in the woods I can say all my plastic body panels are still intact.
    * Front, center, & rear skid plates - yes, I've been on them
    * Roof and winshield - good safety investments
    * Power lift bed - dumping 1,000lbs of anything is not a problem
    * 3500lb winch - set up to run from the front or the back. I use it all the time, go over to the Firewooding 2022 thread and watch my latest video. I pull some big, heavy logs around with it.
    Wish it had:
    * Power steering
    * Removable full doors - for cold days

It was a dealer demo with 10 hours and full factory warranty. It was 14.5K delivered to my door. I've had zero problems with it and spend about $200 / year for a dealer maintenance including pickup & drop off at my house. I have not one complaint.

006.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Fees like assembly, doc fee, prep fee, etc. will vary by dealer. My example is the recent purchase of an rv. Same make and model, prep fee at Camping World was $1100 dollars. Prep fee at Mt. Comfort was $299.

Top Bottom