• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    After the first time I had to beat my gun apart with a hammer, I decided that my 22/45 is just going to become the test case for how long an MK Ruger can go between servicings without malfunctions so bad that it disrupts my pleasure of shooting it. The gun was like $250 15 years ago, in stainless and with a bull barrel. I'll either toss it in a bucket of ATF for a week and see what happens or buy a new one when it dies.

That gun is one of the very few true love/hate relationships I have with my possessions. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot, but that's pretty much where the love affair ends.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    THANK YOU!! I'm giving the Areoflyer floor punch a try as soon as I get home and I'm gonna pass on the Speed Strip kit, bc no doubt the hammer strut is pesky...but not 50 bucks worth of pesky. Ya know? Lol

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    THANK YOU!! I'm giving the Areoflyer floor punch a try as soon as I get home and I'm gonna pass on the Speed Strip kit, bc no doubt the hammer strut is pesky...but not 50 bucks worth of pesky. Ya know? Lol

Hope it works for you! Just a heads up, the ones that come apart hard tend go back together hard as well. At least until they start to loosen.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's jumped up the rankings toward being one of my favorites to shoot of the 29 lil ladies I have hangin around the house these days too. She's an absolute blast and AWFULLY damn accurate...especially when using the fiber optic sights I threw on her before our last date! :wwub:

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the encouragement! if/WHEN I get that muthachucka apart, I'm thinking that a light filing might be just what's needed to get her back together a little more easily and for future field strips.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I recently bought a used Ruger Mark II and I'm pretty sure the gun had NEVER been completely field-stripped for a clean, nor did the previous owner clean it at all it seemed. I found out why it hadn't been completely field stripped when I removed the bolt and tried to remove the receiver/barrel from the frame myself. HOLY SH*T!!! :wallbash: Several people online said if there's difficulty removing the reciever/barrel from the frame on a particular Mark II then a mallet is needed to beat them apart. During three separate cleanings now I've beat the back of the receiver on that bad boy harder than I've EVER pounded on ANY gun in all of my years, and I'm STILL having to clean the gun with both parts attached bc I can't get even a quarter millimeter of separation. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :yesway:

My solution to this situation was to let BigCraig see how filthy my 22/45 Mk II was and it disgusted him to the point where he offered to clean it for me.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the encouragement! if/WHEN I get that muthachucka apart, I'm thinking that a light filing might be just what's needed to get her back together a little more easily and for future field strips.

I've done that to my MK III frame just enough so that I can remove the receiver with a small nylon faced hammer and a couple of good whacks. I used fine 'wet or dry' sand paper wrapped around a close fitting wood dowel. I'd be leary of using a file for this unless you are good with a file and have a large diameter FINE cut file.

Go slow and careful. Leave it on the tight side.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I do have a fine cut file, but I just may go with your sandpaper idea. I'd definitely hate to f*ck it up by accidentally shaving too much. Thanks for the info!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Trial fit the receiver frequently and "paint" the offending areas of the frame with dykem or a black marker so you can tell exactly where you need to remove material.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have several MKI,II,III and yes even the 4. The MKI and MKII were the easiest to disassemble until the MKiV came out. The MKIII was always the worst because Ruger forgot to add a step in the owners manual due to their Mag disconnect. Because of the tight fit between the Upper and Lower yes you will need a rubber hammer for the first few disassemblies. As the metal on Metal wears in, it will get easier. If you are still having concerns I would be glad to show you some pointers if you wanted to get together

If I ever thought I might have to clean mine or had any trouble with it, I'd take it back to the guy who sold it to me.

I've seen him tear one down and put it back together. Pretty sure he could do it blindfolded.

Wonder who he might be? Hint, hint...

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If I ever thought I might have to clean mine or had any trouble with it, I'd take it back to the guy who sold it to me.

I've seen him tear one down and put it back together. Pretty sure he could do it blindfolded.

Wonder who he might be? Hint, hint...

Thanks, I have been known to fix the ones that everyone thinks are done with.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For the MK III, remove the mag disconnect. (A) It's dumb. (B) it's always in the way (C) it complicates the trigger assembly.

Top Bottom