• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Guys: I recently bought a used MAK-90 that has one of those pin-on AK-74 style muzzle brakes (muzzle is not threaded). I want to remove the brake for aesthetic reasons, but I am having the worst time trying to accomplish the removal. After drifting out the pin, it won't pop loose even with increasingly ungentle taps from a padded hammer, and is starting to show some dents at the rear edge of the brake. I don't want to escalate my efforts only to be stuck with an obviously damaged brake that still won't come off (or worse, a damaged muzzle or front sight base on my rifle!). So I've given up for now.

Anyone have some insights on how to get this stubborn brake off? I've never installed one of these, so I don't know if there's some trick I'm missing. I'm guessing that carbon fouling has essentially "baked" the brake on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

M67

Grandmaster
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You probably already know but JUST in case, those are left hand threads so righty loosey lefty tighty

There's probably a ton of carbon build up in there, so I'd soak it in carbon killer or another carbon remover, Kroil is always good though

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    In order of "try this":

Heat (a torch for a moderate amount of time).

Carefully cut or grind a relief in the bearing portion of the brake.

But it's probably glue, and glue needs cooked.

-Nate

223 Gunner

Master
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would try a propane torch, and a pair of channel locks, and just destroy the brake if you don't like it.
    Heat and twist, I know you said it is not threaded, but are you 100% sure it is not threaded?

If it is not threaded I would heat and twist with the channel locks until it comes off.

As far as Kroil goes, the last time I bought some was at United Refrigeration on 16th street, I don't know if they sell to the public.
    I do commercial HVAC for a large Hospital Network, we have an acct. there.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Thanks, all. I used a different penetrating oil (couldn't easily find Kroil), gave the brake a good dousing, put a large screw-driver through the ipenings at the muzzle end of the brake, and hammered away. It finally popped loose. Mind you, the brake doesn't look all that great any more, but I wasn't planning to reuse it anyway. Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom