• ...and so much more!
  • Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Taurus USED to be a great handgun (still are auto-wise), but I've been reading some pretty disturbing articles & posts elsewhere about major malfunctions. This all seems to be taking place since they aquired Rossi. Don't know if there's a connection or not, but I wouldn't buy a NEW Taurus, older one, yes, most certainly.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would look at a longstanding reputable company like S&W, my wife is a small gal and not a target shooter. She carries the S&W 642. No problems handling the recoil. I would avoid Taurus like the plague, anyone who has taken one all the way down knows that they are junk and the innards are put together poorly also. Ruger is G2G in my book, I just prefer S&W.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Folks on Taurusarmed.com don't seem to be reporting widespread problems.

Biggest problem with Taurus is brand snobs who are torqued they paid a couple hundred bucks more for a gun that isn't any better, or as good. Many/most of the folks bashing Taurus' don't own one, never have.

I've owned a bunch. Never had a problem with them, all have been good guns. Some folks have problems. Reckon if someone having problems with a gun means they are all bad, S&Ws and Glocks are junk, too. The 1076 and G23 are the only two factory new guns I've ever had problems with.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I don't know if this will help, but you can go and see Terry at Redghost Gun Shop, 963-8150. He will help you make a choice that fits what you're looking for. He's on HWY 65 N. Off of Diamond Ave. right, and then about 3.5 - 4 miles on the left just before another curve on the corner. He has always treated me right and cash may get you a discount.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    The frame bent on my Taurus 650 CIA after firing some hot 357 loads and the cylinder wouldn't rotate. I litterally had to smack the cylinder with a hammer to get it and get ammo out before I could send it to Taurus. They sent me a brand new one FOC. No problems ever since.

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    The .327 Magnum is a joint development project between Ruger and Federal Ammunition. It's a potent little round, designed to replicate what the .32 H&R Magnum should have been, but due to several issues (economy, etc) it hasn't taken off quite like they hoped it would...but it's a GREAT little round.

The .327 Magnum is being marketed as having simplier punch to the .357 Magnum with the 'felt recoil' more along the lines of a .38 special. How much that really relates to reality is not that well known. Depending on your purpose for purchasing a gun, shot placement and penetration are the two (2) most important aspects in taking down a target...you can argue bullet size, weight, velocity, etc, but it still comes down to shot placement and penetration (place the shot in the center mass + get 12-16" of penetration...and that will usually do the job.) The .327 Magnum will get you the 12"+ of penetration...it's your job to take care of shot placement.

Again, the problem is that it's not taking off as well as everyone on the design team had hoped it would. Ammo is scarce (at times) and can be as expensive as .357 ammo. The 'other' rounds that the .327 mag. will shoot are also as elusive to find...and you definitely won't find it at your local Wal-Mart. Right now, I would make that a second gun/caliber choice and stick with a 'tried-n-true', well proved, .357 Mag revolver that also shoots .38's for target and training (or for your wife if she doesn't like the full .357 mag rounds...like my wife doesn't! She carries an SP101 in .38+P with a Trausch Grip!)

The .327 Mag is proving to be a nice round...but I would regard it as a 'secondary' round for the time being. I would recommend the .357 Mag for a first gun. It's proven, reliable, ammo is easily secured, reloads are available online, etc.

Good Luck! :twocents:

Ah, okay. The .327 did appeal to me there for a moment for the variety of rounds it could fire, but that doesn't help me much if I will have difficulty in finding any of them. So, unless I find out there is a plethora .327 magnum friendly ammo here in Evansville, maybe I'll just save that one for later.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yeah...I've been teased by that round several times myself...but have yet to make the jump to it...for all the reasons I listed previously! I would rather spend my $$ on somethings that's 'sure' and available rather than on something that might decrease in availability and increase in price.

The other nice thing is that there are a couple of long guns (rifles) that shoot .357Mag / .38 Special rounds...Marlin makes a very nice lever-action and NEF makes a break-action, single-shot that holds a nice scope! Given the option, you can have a round that fits several guns.

That being said, lately, I've been focusing on getting set up to reload and increase my long gun capabilities.

Good Luck!

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    Well, I just took a trip down to Kentucky and bought my first revolver. I looked at the used and new revolvers, handled a couple .357s and .38s and ultimately decided to go with the S&W 638 (.38 spc +P). I liked the weight, the size, the trigger, and the price tag.

I looked at the Rugers, but I had second thoughts on the fully exposed hammer. I figured that if I plan on carrying it, I don't want to have to worry about it catching on something and potentially landing myself in a Barney Fife moment. So, instead I decided on the shrouded hammer ("Bodyguard" frame) so that I still have the option to go SA if I want. I also elected the .38 special over the .357 because of a very notable difference in weight.

And, when I got home, I found my LTCH waiting for me . . . seemed like a nice coincidence. :) Although I do have to wait for it to be shipped to Evansville to pick it up, so I will have to wait till Sunday.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Well, I just took a trip down to Kentucky and bought my first revolver. I looked at the used and new revolvers, handled a couple .357s and .38s and ultimately decided to go with the S&W 638 (.38 spc +P). I liked the weight, the size, the trigger, and the price tag.

I looked at the Rugers, but I had second thoughts on the fully exposed hammer. I figured that if I plan on carrying it, I don't want to have to worry about it catching on something and potentially landing myself in a Barney Fife moment. So, instead I decided on the shrouded hammer ("Bodyguard" frame) so that I still have the option to go SA if I want. I also elected the .38 special over the .357 because of a very notable difference in weight.

And, when I got home, I found my LTCH waiting for me . . . seemed like a nice coincidence. :) Although I do have to wait for it to be shipped to Evansville to pick it up, so I will have to wait till Sunday.

Thank you everyone for your help!

No problem - any time. ;)
    (No one in this thread will believe that I even helped. Heh.)

HollowPoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Go for the .357 revolver, that way you have the options of .38, .38+P, or the .357 cartridges. The models noted by others are typically all good firearms, either new or used.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Congrats on the pistol. As mentioned I have a .38 myself. Weight difference is there. I carry it more than the .357 I just bought because I am still working out the heavy trigger. (Both are Tausus)

Go get some cheap reloads and pop away. Then you need to start thinking about which round to carry for SD. That will open up an entirely different round of discussion.

My suggestion is to buy a box of a few different loads that you feel comfortable with. Test them all. See where the shots place, how controlled you are and even how dirty they shoot. Remember that you need to be able to hit what you want, so practice all that you can.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Congrats on your new revolver. Now you can shop for grips, speedloaders, holsters, and a used S&W mod 10/ 4 in barrel to back up the snubbie. A model 13, 65,or 66 will give you 357 mag option. Like previous posts, older Taurus revolvers have similar specs and good service. Enjoy.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Taurus gots a 7 shot you can get in 4 or 6 in barrle and you can find them used for round 350 or 400 bucks. Make shure you get adj sights!

Top Bottom