• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbills04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would love to get some opinions on buying a smith and Wesson 22a handgun. There is one on clearance for 189 bucks from palmetto state armory. The gun would mostly be used for fun target shooting but I also like it for my wife to easily use for home defense, especially if I am gone. While I know someone is going to tell me that a 22 is not a good choice for home defense, it is still better than nothing if my wife should need it. She has trouble holding a shot gun and trouble racking the slide of my 9 mm. Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    That's a damned good price. It does have a big handle/grip and the front mag release bothers some people.

I say buy it, and if you don't like it you could easily sell it for what you have in it...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Any gun is better than no gun.

Buy this pistol. It's a good price and can be a great training pistol.

As for your wife having trouble racking a slide, watch this.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Don't buy a .22 for home defense. That is just crazy. If you wife needs a handgun for some reason and can't master two handed slide operation get her a .38spl revolver with a 3-6" barrel. Otherwise there is no reason she can't operate a light recoiling carbine like an AR unless she has some medical issue.

As for target shooting, I don't care for the 22a at all and would rather have a Buckmark or MkII, but if you just want a .22 for as cheap as possible you could do worse.

cbills04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Any gun is better than no gun.

Buy this pistol. It's a good price and can be a great training pistol.

As for your wife having trouble racking a slide, watch this.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

Thanks for the video, I'll have her try that next time we get out shooting.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You and the wife should make a quick visit to the local gun store and handle it first. You shouldn't dry fire it, so don't even ask. For $0, you can get a feel if either or both of you will like how it feels. Even if the 22A doesn't work for you for some reason, a .22 is a good choice for fun and relatively cheap shooting.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    22 is a great starter pistol for the ladies and work her up from there. As for home defense look into a 410 for her and they have plenty of punch. AAAHHHH that means 2 guns, Welcome to the gun world and there will be more.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Don't buy a .22 for home defense. That is just crazy.

Sorry, but this is bad advice. If it's the only round that someone is comfortable firing, then it should absolutely be used for home defense. I'm not sure why this argument keeps popping up here. There are plenty of examples of people successfully defending themselves with .22, and with the right ammo and shot placement you could pretty easily put an attacker to and IN the ground.

Top Bottom