• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbills04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You and the wife should make a quick visit to the local gun store and handle it first. You shouldn't dry fire it, so don't even ask. For $0, you can get a feel if either or both of you will like how it feels. Even if the 22A doesn't work for you for some reason, a .22 is a good choice for fun and relatively cheap shooting.

I should have mentioned, we have both shot a 22a previously and really liked it. If only the father in law would have let me keep it. The wife shoots extremely well with it which makes me lean toward getting one of our own.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, but this is bad advice. If it's the only round that someone is comfortable firing, then it should absolutely be used for home defense. I'm not sure why this argument keeps popping up here. There are plenty of examples of people successfully defending themselves with .22, and with the right ammo and shot placement you could pretty easily put an attacker to and IN the ground.

I'm not sure either. 99% of home invaders are going to leave faster than they came in when they see a gun or hear shots fired anyways. Most of these punks around Indy are wanna be thugs.

Ps... you need to come out so I can try out that XD and compare it to my XDm.

NO ammo available ?????

False! I saw a 525 count yesterday for only 99 dollars!

I'm sure the 1400 rounds from GM will last a while... Maybe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like .22 handguns. But, if she can't handle a 9mm, then I agree with earlier posters about trying out a full sized .38 revolver.

cbills04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thank you to everyone for the input! I decided to go ahead and buy it. Great price and I shot one again and really liked it. +1 more in the collection

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm not sure either. 99% of home invaders are going to leave faster than they came in when they see a gun or hear shots fired anyways. Most of these punks around Indy are wanna be thugs.

Ps... you need to come out so I can try out that XD and compare it to my XDm.

I'm sure the 1400 rounds from GM will last a while... Maybe.

Sounds good to me. I was out there last week but you were busy gallivanting about the country. Oh, and for the love of God teach my brother how to shoot a shotgun. :laugh:

Cujo71321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think you should buy the Smith 22A. I have been shooting for 40+ years, and I am used to any and all of the "big boy" guns, but my wife was very typical in that she had never shot a gun, didn't want to shoot a gun, and was sure she would never be able to use a gun for protection. Little by little I have been softening her up, and I finally got her to go to the range with me. I started her out on a Bersa Thunder 380, because I had no 22 handguns. She was a little intimidated by it, but after getting her to shoot an XD9, an XD45, a 1911, and a 357, (one shot out of each gun) she was sure she didn't want to shoot any more. After she tried the Bersa Thunder 380 again, it was so much easier on her for felt recoil and noise, that she actually started to have some fun. She was still convinced, though, that she would never be a "shooter". She had a hard time racking the slide, and that video we just saw was good instruction, which I will pass on. Long story short, I got busy doing a lot of buying and horse-trading on guns, and ended up with a large variety of 22's for her to try out. She shot the Ruger SR22 and loved it! No recoil and not too loud! Also, easy to rack the slide. Then a Walther P22, with the same results. An M&P22, same. A Taurus Tracker model 907 22, same, except that it has a six inch barrel and is heavy stainless, and it was a bit heavy for her. I got her a SIG mosquito, and she loved it. I got her a Colt(Walther) 1911-22 and she loves it. It is bringing her joy to shoot now, and she is learning motor skills and muscle memory, as well as good range safety. I honestly believe that if I had not switched her to a 22, she would have dismissed shooting as being for "the guys" and not tried any more. Now, she loves it, and as time goes by, her confidence level raises, and she is taking a long, hard look at the 380's and 9mm's and thinking about stepping up her game. Buy your wife the Smith 22A and teach her to love to shoot, and if she ever needs a gun in an emergency, she will be better prepared to use whatever is at her disposal. And we all know that a 22 is deadly with head shots, and even center of mass shots will usually scare an intruder off. If two or three in the chest don't stop them, it will slow them down enough for her to concentrate on the spot right between the eyes... good luck, brother!

cbills04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I think you should buy the Smith 22A. I have been shooting for 40+ years, and I am used to any and all of the "big boy" guns, but my wife was very typical in that she had never shot a gun, didn't want to shoot a gun, and was sure she would never be able to use a gun for protection. Little by little I have been softening her up, and I finally got her to go to the range with me. I started her out on a Bersa Thunder 380, because I had no 22 handguns. She was a little intimidated by it, but after getting her to shoot an XD9, an XD45, a 1911, and a 357, (one shot out of each gun) she was sure she didn't want to shoot any more. After she tried the Bersa Thunder 380 again, it was so much easier on her for felt recoil and noise, that she actually started to have some fun. She was still convinced, though, that she would never be a "shooter". She had a hard time racking the slide, and that video we just saw was good instruction, which I will pass on. Long story short, I got busy doing a lot of buying and horse-trading on guns, and ended up with a large variety of 22's for her to try out. She shot the Ruger SR22 and loved it! No recoil and not too loud! Also, easy to rack the slide. Then a Walther P22, with the same results. An M&P22, same. A Taurus Tracker model 907 22, same, except that it has a six inch barrel and is heavy stainless, and it was a bit heavy for her. I got her a SIG mosquito, and she loved it. I got her a Colt(Walther) 1911-22 and she loves it. It is bringing her joy to shoot now, and she is learning motor skills and muscle memory, as well as good range safety. I honestly believe that if I had not switched her to a 22, she would have dismissed shooting as being for "the guys" and not tried any more. Now, she loves it, and as time goes by, her confidence level raises, and she is taking a long, hard look at the 380's and 9mm's and thinking about stepping up her game. Buy your wife the Smith 22A and teach her to love to shoot, and if she ever needs a gun in an emergency, she will be better prepared to use whatever is at her disposal. And we all know that a 22 is deadly with head shots, and even center of mass shots will usually scare an intruder off. If two or three in the chest don't stop them, it will slow them down enough for her to concentrate on the spot right between the eyes... good luck, brother!

I really appreciate the input, all very well said. I couldn't agree more, I want her to be comfortable and grow a love for shooting with whatever round that may be. In the case a situation should ever arise that she need to protect herself at least it won't all be foreign to her. Thank you

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    YA, read your post and none below it, why .22 if yet to buy, .38 revolver?

Take little misses to LGS let her handle the gun you think she needs.

I thought everyone owned .22 handguns and .22 rifle's before moving up to bigger calibers.:dunno:

Top Bottom