• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Question: If a guy has taken all bonus anterless available for his county, can he then take another doe with his muzzleloading license?

I'm in this situation currently and I have called the DNR about it. The lady that spoke to me said, in a very uncertain voice, "I..think..you can." She then got someone else to verify and came back on the phone and said "we..thiink..you can." Not exactly confidence inspiring:D

Anybody been there and done that?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Kinda thinking NO.

It's like you have one shot at a buck, and just so many bonus tags whether you use a bow, shotgun or black powder.

Somebody else chime in here.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Actually, no, the Muzzle loading tag is for antlers only. You have to buy the bonus antlerless tag to get a doe. That was what was explained to me by a CO.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Question: If a guy has taken all bonus anterless available for his county, can he then take another doe with his muzzleloading license?

Read the guide:

In addition to the basic bag limits, hunters
    can purchase bonus licenses to take
    additional antlerless deer. Bonus antlerless
    licenses can be used in any season, using
    the equipment that is legal for that season.
    One antlerless deer may be taken per
    bonus anterless license.
    Bonus licenses may be used in any
    county, but you may not take more than the
    county quota for bonus antlerless deer in
    any specific county. The map on page 10
    indicates county quotas for bonus antlerless
    deer.

Notice the "IN ADDITION TO"

That quota is for "bonus antlerless", not total antlerless. That quota listed in the county maps are all "bonus". So if you live in a county that allows for 5 bonus antlerless, you can take a total of 7 does.

1 - Archery
    1 - Muzzleloader
    5 - Bonus Antlerless

Could even add more with Urban Zone and Extra Archery licenses.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If I understand it correctly, you can only take as many does as are allowed in the highest bonus county. Example: Brown has a 4 doe limit. Switzerland has an 8 doe limit. If I shoot 4 does in Brown, I can then go to Switzerland and get 4 more does. A total of 8.I could not go to Switzerland and get 8 more. If I misunderstood your post singlestacksig, my apologies.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That was what was explained to me by a CO.

And that is where the problem is found. It is pretty clear from the reading the guide that you can take, in my county, four bonus does and then one with the muzzleloader (knocked my buck out in firearms). But when you're in the field getting checked or the CO goes to the check in station and reads your name on the list 7 times, he's the guy you've got to deal with right then and there.

Fortunately, all the COs I've encountered in my area have been solid, level headed guys whom it is a pleasure to encounter.

In any event, doesn't look like anyone here has had a problem.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I understand it correctly, you can only take as many does as are allowed in the highest bonus county. Example: Brown has a 4 doe limit. Switzerland has an 8 doe limit. If I shoot 4 does in Brown, I can then go to Switzerland and get 4 more does. A total of 8.I could not go to Switzerland and get 8 more. If I misunderstood your post singlestacksig, my apologies.

That is also incorrect. Look on the DNR FAQ page, it says THERE IS NO STATEWIDE LIMIT ON BONUS ANTLERLESS. If you take your 4 in Brown county you CAN go to Switzerland co. and take 8 more, then over to the next county...and so on. I forget the total number including regular + bonus tags but theoretically a guy could kill 300 some deer in a year.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if the CO is going to read & enforce it his way, then one will just have to deal with that.. but the hunting rules are pretty certain. There is no state set doe limit. the county limit is for the # of bonus antler less tags you can fill from that county..
    If you have deep pockets or an unlimited lifetime licenses you could hunt from October to January and bag a lot of does...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    That is also incorrect. Look on the DNR FAQ page, it says THERE IS NO STATEWIDE LIMIT ON BONUS ANTLERLESS. If you take your 4 in Brown county you CAN go to Switzerland co. and take 8 more, then over to the next county...and so on. I forget the total number including regular + bonus tags but theoretically a guy could kill 300 some deer in a year.

The number is even higher than that -- 517 bonus antlerless (if you hunted all of Indiana's 92 counties), plus 2 archery, plus 1 firearm, and plus 1 muzzleloader for a total of 520 antlerless and 1 buck.

45 counties have a bonus antlerless quota of "8"
    29 counties have a bonus antlerless quota of "4"
    9 counties have a bonus antlerless quota of "3"
    5 counties have a bonus antlerless quota of "2"
    3 counties have a bonus antlerless quota of "1"
    1 county has a bonus antlerless quota of "A", which is essentially a "1"

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    So what happens if you haven't taken a buck yet, and you take a doe off of the muzzleloader license? You can't take a buck at all then(until late archery)?

That is where your bonus antlerless tag would come in. You can tag it with a bonus tag, and continue to hunt for your buck to the end of the season.

Top Bottom