• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    hi can someone explain how the uspsa classification works. i will be shooting my first uspsa match soon and i believe it is a classifier. mainly i want to knoe A. how is a classifier different from a regular match B. how many classifiers do you have shoot to recieve a classification and C. how often are there classifier matches. plus any other info you think will help me understand thanks to anyone who can help.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    A classifier is a set stage. It should be the same anywhere you go to shoot it. This makes things even. USPSA has many different classifiers that a club can choose to use. Normally a match will have only 1 classifier and then have other stages that are more involved. Usually a classifier requires little to no movement and 1 reload max, usually.

The scores are based on your hit factor. So if the best hit factor for that classifier is 10 and you get a hit factor of 5, your score is 50%. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

If you do not know what hit factor is, watch this episode from ThePowerFactorShow. (watch others too, very educational)

Hit factor and scoring

From the rule book:
    Grand Master 95 to 100%
    Master 85 to 94.9%
    A Class 75 to 84.9%
    B Class 60 to 74.9%
    C Class 40 to 59.9%
    D Class Below 40%

Your percentage is based on your scores as they relate to the high score on file for
    a particular course of fire. To receive an initial classification, a member needs to
    have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior
    to the monthly reclassification procedure. If there are more than four scores on
    file, the best four scores of the most recent six scores will be used. Scores are
    sorted according to the match date to determine which scores are the most recent.
    For matches that are Level I Specials, the scores are further sorted by the score
    percent in descending order. In doing so, the lowest scores from a special will be
    the first scores to drop out of the most recent scores on file.
    After a member has earned a classification, the classification system will look at
    the best six unduplicated scores of the most recent eight to evaluate the member’s
    current classification percentage.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Classifications are standard courses of fire that everyone in USPSA shoots across the nation. These are mostly stand and shoots (some exceptions). Your first four determine your initial classification. Then your score is based on most recent 6 of 8 (better explanations will follow I'm sure.). Round count is generally 6 to 24 rounds. These classifiers have set distances. Your classification is based on results of these classifiers in the past. A C classification requires you shoot over 40% in the initial 4. B class is above 60%. A class over 75%. M over 85% (?) and GM ofer 95%. It is common for many new USPSA shooters to begin in D class (<40%). Most will move up fairly quickly (depending on how new you are to shootingin general. C is very obtainable if you shoot fairly often. It is rare a new USPSA shooter shoots higher than C)

Most USPSA courses of fire are referred to as field courses. They require moving to different shooting positions. There are medium and long COFs. Most local matches are 32 round COFs.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A special classifier match is just like a regular USPSA match except that every stage is a standardized classifier stage instead of the normal 1 per match. Classifier matches are a great wasy to jump start a season because you get "ranked" after just 1 match rather than needing to go to 4.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    A classifier is a set stage. It should be the same anywhere you go to shoot it. This makes things even. USPSA has many different classifiers that a club can choose to use. Normally a match will have only 1 classifier and then have other stages that are more involved. Usually a classifier requires little to no movement and 1 reload max, usually.

The scores are based on your hit factor. So if the best hit factor for that classifier is 10 and you get a hit factor of 5, your score is 50%. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

If you do not know what hit factor is, watch this episode from ThePowerFactorShow. (watch others too, very educational)

Hit factor and scoring

From the rule book:
    Grand Master 95 to 100%
    Master 85 to 94.9%
    A Class 75 to 84.9%
    B Class 60 to 74.9%
    C Class 40 to 59.9%
    D Class Below 40%

Your percentage is based on your scores as they relate to the high score on file for
    a particular course of fire. To receive an initial classification, a member needs to
    have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior
    to the monthly reclassification procedure. If there are more than four scores on
    file, the best four scores of the most recent six scores will be used. Scores are
    sorted according to the match date to determine which scores are the most recent.
    For matches that are Level I Specials, the scores are further sorted by the score
    percent in descending order. In doing so, the lowest scores from a special will be
    the first scores to drop out of the most recent scores on file.
    After a member has earned a classification, the classification system will look at
    the best six unduplicated scores of the most recent eight to evaluate the member’s
    current classification percentage.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Hit factor does not relate to percentage in classification.

Explaining that is another thread. I'll try to do this quickly
    A 12 round course of fire has 60 pts. If you sore all 60 points in 10 seconds, your hit factor is 6. Someone much better may score 50 pts in 5 seconds. His HF is 10. If he/she wins the stage, they receive 100% and all 60 pts. You will receive a percentage of their stage win and be granted let's say 45 state points (I'm doing this from my phone, this is an example only and does not attest to my true horrendous math skills). Hit factors vary from stage to stage depending on what the best score and fastest time

Hit factor=score divided by time

If this were a classifier, that Hit factor maybe 43% of the national collection of shooters in your division. Therefore it would be a C class run. The person who won the classifier at the local match, may only Score 72% of the national average. Therefore it would be a B class run.

It is much more complicated than I'm willing to go through via my IPhone :D

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    From the USPSA FAQ:

Members are awarded a class based on a series of percentages that are calculated for them. Each percentage is the score (hit factor) they shoot on a specific stage divided by the maximum hit factor used for that stage. The maximum hit factors are derived from the scores of the top shooters.

So, my example holds true if I am reading this correctly. Max hit factor of 10. You score a 5. You are at 50%, C class.

I understand how hit factors are used in a regular match to determine stage winners.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Honestly, don't worry about all that right now. Just know that there is a classification system.

A classifier stage is a stage that is set up and shot the same by everybody in the nation. A special classifier match has multiple classifier stages. A regular stage/match will have a design you have never seen before and most likely wont see again (unless loosely copied).

Since this is your first match, what is really important to understand is that it is not typical of most uspsa matches. Classifiers are the only stages where you are told exactly how to shoot the course ("stand here," "reload at this time," etc). In a normal match, your instruction is normally limited to "at the buzzer, shoot all the targets." Also, the round-count in a classifier match is usually MUCH lower.

So being your first match, it's good that it's a classifier in that you don't have to figure out when to reload, what order to shoot the targets in, etc. Conversely, it's much more likely you'll do something to earn a penalty (eg engaging out of order, forgetting to shoot w/ only one hand after a reload, etc). Don't let that bother you if that happens.... it happens to the best of us and at your first match there is a lot to remember.

MOST importantly, classifier matches are not as FUN as regular matches! The round count is lower, the stages are easier, and the creativity is largely removed. So don't base your experience totally on this first match. While it WILL be fun, a regular match will be 10x as fun!

Go shoot. Let the classification system sort itself out.

-rvb

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Local clubs can have 1 "Special Classifier" match per year. Last year I remember Riley, Wildcat Creek, and Warsaw did them. Atlanta, Silvercreek and South Central may have done one, but I don't remember.

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    When you go shoot as others have said listen to the RO and have fun.
    Something I see all the time with new shooters is watching experienced shooters and trying to go as fast as them. Don't fall into that trap. Take your time and make sure you get your hits.
    If you have too many misses you can Zero the stage and it won't count towards your classification.
    Your speed will come with experience.
    Have fun and welcome to world of speed shooting.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Wow thanks for all the help from everybody. i am much more clear on the subject. i am going to be new to uspsa but i have done a good bit of steel challenge and friday night steel but uspsa seems to be the real deal with all the moving and reloading. I am asuming i need to get a uspsa membership before the comp. will i be able to get it in time or does it take a while to get it?

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Local clubs can have 1 "Special Classifier" match per year. Last year I remember Riley, Wildcat Creek, and Warsaw did them. Atlanta, Silvercreek and South Central may have done one, but I don't remember.
    Hey whats up man i saw your freakin awsome score at fns. are you usin a fancy open gun now?

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Wow thanks for all the help from everybody. i am much more clear on the subject. i am going to be new to uspsa but i have done a good bit of steel challenge and friday night steel but uspsa seems to be the real deal with all the moving and reloading. I am asuming i need to get a uspsa membership before the comp. will i be able to get it in time or does it take a while to get it?

As long as you state you are planning to join, they will put you in as pending. I believe it takes about 10 days. I'm not sure how long USPSA will hold your scores. South Cental will be holding a match on March 3rd about 90 minutes south of Indy and Riley near terre haute will have a match on March 17th. It is an hour from the west side of Indy. You may want to try one of those to make sure you will like it (and you will) before joining.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey whats up man i saw your freakin awsome score at fns. are you usin a fancy open gun now?

It was good to see you back in on the range!

Last year I became heavily involved in USPSA. I'm making the move to open when components become available again.

See you on the range.

Top Bottom