• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    So, first off, I am just going to say that i'm a newb to the AR platform. Bought my first one a month ago, put new furniture on it and an XMR. With the nice weather we had this past weekend, I was finally able to shoot it. Took it home to start cleaning it and looked down at the FCG pocket and found this spring sitting loose and have no idea where it came from.
    IMG_20140413_162522_802.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Did one of your pivot pins come completely out during cleaning (or does it now)? Those pin's should not come out.

Under your pivot pin's there is a spring, and detent. That looks like the spring, and you mise well give up on finding the detent.

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    Hmm, I am not at home right now to check but I know the rear takedown pin will not come out. I will have to check the front pivot pin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have lost 2 buffer spring assembly's as I am "Stoopid"
    I know they want to be free and will escape. have gotten much better but I have 2 pin/spring kits for the AR's and 2 for the 1911's

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    I have lost 2 buffer spring assembly's as I am "Stoopid"
    I know they want to be free and will escape. have gotten much better but I have 2 pin/spring kits for the AR's and 2 for the 1911's

Right there with you. I didn't mention, in the initial post, that the buffer retainer also came loose when shooting it. I didn't see it at first and didn't realize there was a spring under it when I put it back in. Just ordered 2 more sets. From what I've read, I may have messed up when I put the new end plate on by not screwing the stock in far enough and/or the castle nut isn't tight enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right there with you. I didn't mention, in the initial post, that the buffer retainer also came loose when shooting it. I didn't see it at first and didn't realize there was a spring under it when I put it back in. Just ordered 2 more sets. From what I've read, I may have messed up when I put the new end plate on by not screwing the stock in far enough and/or the castle nut isn't tight enough.

My 1st AR build I did the same thing. I turn short on the buffer tube. Heard something rattling around in the gun......Spring loaded retainer pin.......I am "Stoopid"

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012

That's why the castle nut is staked on a quality AR.

Top Bottom