• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    After much debate I have decided that I am going to get into deer hunting. Not sure if I will be able to get everything together to hunt this season or if it will be next year. I've been doing some research and wanted some friendly input on what would be a good starting shotgun. Part of my dilemma is that when I purchase one, if my girlfriend's oldest can stand to shoot it more than a couple times for practice, I will likely be finding her one as she wants to go very much.

I am on a fairly limited budget, especially since I may be buying two. I know that 12 ga is larger than 20 ga in terms of what the load can actually contain. It is my understanding that, all things being equal, the 12 would kick harder than the 20. I already plan to invest in limbsavers as I have heard good things about them. I know it is acceptable for the regulations in Indiana, but would a 20 be sufficient or do I really need to go 12?

I found this Mossberg 500 at Gander Mtn and I like the price point. I like that they also have a 20 for the same price, which may be a better option for the daughter.

What do you think? I want to support local businesses so I do plan on shopping around at some local shops to see if I can get the same, or close to, without spending too much more.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    A 20 gauge slug will take a white tail just fine.

And the deer won't be able to tell the difference if it was shot with a Mossberg, a Remington, a Rossi or a Winchester slug gun.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A 20 is more than sufficient, and much more pleasant with slugs.

Another option, if this is to be strictly a deer gun, is a single shot .44. They can be had quite cheaply, and recoil is even more pleasant. You do lose the versatility that can be had by buying an extra barrel for your shotgun, though.

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    I like the idea of getting another barrel and expanding my hunting capability. My uncle primarily hunted deer, but he did do some turkey and skeet. It sounds like a 20 would be good, and I like the idea that it would be more fun to shoot! I don't want something that we dread practicing with.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You gonna shoot a rifled barrel with sabots or smoothbore with regular slugs?

I started with a 20 when I was a kid, bought a 12 a few years ago. Both Remington 870s

I've always used rifled deer barrels. The sabot selection seems better with the 12.

I've been using Hornady SSTs lately, my gun seems to like them.

If you're willing to spend a bit more on a semi-auto, the recoil won't be as big of a deal.

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    I was thinking rifled barrel. Am I correct in that you shouldn't use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel?

Rifled = sabot and Smooth = rifled slug ??

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    Thanks Rhino. I sent the person a message to check on physical sizing. I'm wondering if it would be large enough for me or the daughter. She's 5'5" ish, so adult woman size. I'm 5'7".

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks Rhino. I sent the person a message to check on physical sizing. I'm wondering if it would be large enough for me or the daughter. She's 5'5" ish, so adult woman size. I'm 5'7".

My 5' 11 y/o son has one. It's good for him, but I punch myself in the nose everytime I shoot it. I'm 5'6"

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    almost any gun shop will have a used shotgun in stock, so take a look at those...they are usually rarely beat up and you can find them for 100 to 125. Mossberg has always worked for me...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Last edited:

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    Depending on how wiped out I am after work today I may try to stop by Wyatt's in Cicero. I rarely get home in time to go to Target Sports and if I remember he was mostly AR's. I'd love to get a 458 SOCOM upper for mine, but if I am getting 2 guns, I'll actually be able to afford shotguns, at least I think so!

Christa's Dad - Thanks for the link on that used one, I will be checking into that as well.

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    I have a pending purchase on a Mossberg listed on these forums. It should be in my hands Wednesday evening. Aside from not being rifled, anything I need to know about Turkey and Waterfowl barrels? If I used rifled slugs could I use either of those, or would I want to invest in a rifled barrel and sabots?

And I looked into the SOCOM a little more... you are right, the shooting prices would make me cry!

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have a pending purchase on a Mossberg listed on these forums. It should be in my hands Wednesday evening. Aside from not being rifled, anything I need to know about Turkey and Waterfowl barrels? If I used rifled slugs could I use either of those, or would I want to invest in a rifled barrel and sabots?

And I looked into the SOCOM a little more... you are right, the shooting prices would make me cry!

Any smooth bore barrel can take Turkey and waterfowl. It is the shooter, not the gun. If your gun has a 24" to 28" Vent rib barrel and choke tubes, you are set. good to go, done for now. You must practice with it. Describe the gun you are getting.

Sabots must be shot in rifled barrels BUT Rifled/Foster slugs are for smoothbore barrels. Make a note of that. Rifled barrels are ONLY for sabots. Nothing else.

Long before you go the sabot game, go the .44 mag single shot. The entire Gun costs less than a rifled barrel, and often before you scope the shotgun barrel. Sabots are outrageous in price compared to any ammo. Yeah, 25 years ago it was the stuff, now a single shot .44 or .357 kills them in Indiana. Dead is dead, as posted beore, deer can't do math, don't know calibers and gauges.

If you can memorize this "Plus or minus 4 inches" and can tell when somethng is closer than 80 yards, you can hit a deer with a smoothbore barrel. Practice with cheap smootbore slugs from Remington or Winchester.

One used all purpose shotgun and one single shot 44 or .357 is a great combo and cheap.

For God's sake get a shotgun with choke tubes.

Top Bottom