• gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    UPDATE LINK TO SURVEY MONKEY>>
    THANKS

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6GFMH69

Ok, I need a little help with a marketing class project. I've attempted to contact the NRA, Shotgun News, and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. I've only received one response so far. they said contact the NRA. My project is due in a week so it looks like it's up this thread to get some kind of data.

I ran through numbers that I could extrapolate from different sources. Taking Indiana's ownership percentage of 39% of the Metro Indianapolis population of 1.7 million I would assume there are about 700,000 gun owners in the Indianapolis area.
    Also if you take the published numbers of firearms owners and the number of firearms in circulation it appears we all have on average 3 firearms. makes sense to me. Most people I know say they tell their wife they have a rifle, pistol, and a shotgun. Guess they just accessorize them up a lot so they seem to look a little different each time they come out of the safe :)

What I can't seem to get a handle on :

In the last years worth of new gun purchases :
    A) how many were new shooters
    B) how many were women and new owners
    C) How many were women purchasing an additional firearm.
    C) How many purchased a second firearm
    D) How many purchased a third firearm
    E) how many purchased their 4 -10 firearm
    F) How many were purchased to bring their collection to 10 or more.
    I know this is not going to be as scientific as it should be, but gun ownership and the data behind it is somewhat elusive.

If you can respond back and add any purchases that you are directly familiar with I would appreciate it. According to my spreadsheet I have 29 more days and I'll be sitting in the graduation line!

Last edited:

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Any easy quick response would be appreciated:

something like this:
    in the last year I know of:
    5 people that were repeat purchases. 4 Male, 1 female
    2 new gun owners. 1 male, 1 female.

Last edited:

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    If possible, try to do some research about the metro area... I have nothing to back this up, but my gut says that suburban and rural ownership rates will be significantly higher than the metro area. The state has a total population of 6.5 million, which means 2.4 million gun owners, and I'd be surprised if 700k are concentrated in Indy. Legally, that is.

I can only speak for myself, on the rest of it.... I have 10 guns now, 7 purchased in the last year... I went away from the shooting sports for a while, but now I'm back. (I'm a male, btw.)

Anecdotally, I've seen a good deal of first-timers making purchases in gun shops, no real details, but it's been fairly common the past few months. More men than women, but heard several state that it was "for the house" or "for my wife" or even "something my wife could shoot too".

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but the answers you seek are out there. If you're pressed for time, you might swing by a shop like Bradis that does a lot of business and survey the workers, I'm sure they'd be pretty helpful.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i cant help you with metro indy numbers, but i think the people that live in the rural areas, like me, have more than the metro indy gun owners.my answers to your questions are...
    A-0
    B-2 FEMALE
    C-2 female
    D---
    E-4 male
    F-1 me, male

i dont know how it will skew your numbers, but most of my friends (rural gun owners) have between 10 and 50 guns bought over a several year time span.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    thanks for the info. I'm a regular at most of the local indy shops. I've have some data from the sales staffs already. I'm guessing we may have 3 guns per person on average but it's probably more skewed with a bunch of gun owners that have one gun and haven't laid eyes on it in 10 years then the other group with a few 2 -5, THEN those with the "arsenal" that brings the average back to 3 per person according to the statics you can find on the internet. I'm just taking the total guns manufactured/imported divided by the estimated number of gun owners. (if the data on the internet is correct).
    Also interesting to see the data from the NCICS checks. Sales the last two months were down 7 and 10 percent from previous months. I'm pretty sure inventory dried up, not that demand is down. One person told me an interesting fact. Before the last couple of months people would come in looking for a XYZ model in 9mm. Couldn't find it and would turn around and head out the door. Now they come in looking for XYZ, not in stock but they find ABC in 9mm and they buy it! I'm thinking we'll see a lot of used guns on the market when folks find that XYZ they were looking for.

I've been watching the market pretty closely since before the first term, so at least I'm working on a project that's interesting. Now if I had just bit the bullet and put some money in Ruger Stock or Ammo!

If possible, try to do some research about the metro area... I have nothing to back this up, but my gut says that suburban and rural ownership rates will be significantly higher than the metro area. The state has a total population of 6.5 million, which means 2.4 million gun owners, and I'd be surprised if 700k are concentrated in Indy. Legally, that is.

I can only speak for myself, on the rest of it.... I have 10 guns now, 7 purchased in the last year... I went away from the shooting sports for a while, but now I'm back. (I'm a male, btw.)

Anecdotally, I've seen a good deal of first-timers making purchases in gun shops, no real details, but it's been fairly common the past few months. More men than women, but heard several state that it was "for the house" or "for my wife" or even "something my wife could shoot too".

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but the answers you seek are out there. If you're pressed for time, you might swing by a shop like Bradis that does a lot of business and survey the workers, I'm sure they'd be pretty helpful.[/QUO

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks this is exactly the type of response I'm looking for.

i cant help you with metro indy numbers, but i think the people that live in the rural areas, like me, have more than the metro indy gun owners.my answers to your questions are...
    A-0
    B-2 FEMALE
    C-2 female
    D---
    E-4 male
    F-1 me, male

i dont know how it will skew your numbers, but most of my friends (rural gun owners) have between 10 and 50 guns bought over a several year time span.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The information you are asking for should not be available. On the form that is filled out when you buy a gun isn't suppose to be used in any statics. So there is no way to get the information you are asking. Also my personal thought is that you don't need to know. Nor do the government. How many guns I have is private information. Same goes for my wife, son, girls and grandchildren. Why would you need to know this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Another thing you could do is make a qualtrics survey and then post the link to INGO. You could survey all of ingo who is willing to help you out. I realize it is not the best way to collect data since it will be biased of a firearms community specifically about firearms, but since you are rushed for time, i think people here would be more than willing to help you out!

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    A) 2
    B) 2
    C) 1
    C) 2
    D) 2
    E) 2
    F) Working towards 10 or more

Additional data, I am male, bought new for my two daughters (each), wife is a shooter, but bought 2 of her own as didn't have any prior to this but was once a shooter. Bought myself 2 additional.

Tragically all were lost in ice fishing accident this winter :(

Edit
    You may try survey monkey and post links on INGO and Twitter.

Last edited:

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    For some reason :whistle:I end up talking to a lot of different people about shooting and/or guns and maybe even gun collecting, so I have a decent sample size for you

In the last years worth of new gun purchases :
    A) how many were new shooters - 3
    B) how many were women and new owners - 3, same 3 as A.
    C) How many were women purchasing an additional firearm.- I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Are asking if the first time bought more than 1? IF so, then none.
    C) How many purchased a second firearm -1 Male
    D) How many purchased a third firearm -2, 1 Female, 1 Male
    E) how many purchased their 4 -10 firearm - 4, 1 Female, 3 Males
    F) How many were purchased to bring their collection to 10 or more. - 6 Males

None of my sample is from Indy metro.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    A) 2
    B) 2
    C) 1
    C) 2
    D) 2
    E) 2
    F) Working towards 10 or more

Additional data, I am male, bought new for my two daughters (each), wife is a shooter, but bought 2 of her own as didn't have any prior to this but was once a shooter. Bought myself 2 additional.

Tragically all were lost in ice fishing accident this winter :(

Edit
    You may try survey monkey and post links on INGO and Twitter.

Thanks for the tip. Surveymonkey makes a LOT MORE Sense. I wouldn't want to post the number of guns on the internet either. I'm just working on a marketing project for class. Trying to gather data for "Industry Conditions". Ownership demographics (whether I have real or fake data doesn't matter for this project) can be used to target new or repeat customers and the types of marketing campaigns that would be used to generate additional revenue. Of course I'll have to ignore the fact nobody can maintain any inventory to generate additional revenue anyway.
    Certainly not trying to collect or provide any data that could be used for the wrong purposes.

here's the link to the Survey on Survey Monkey

Gun Ownership Indiana Survey

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    For me I was a first time buyer last year, but always interested in shooting sports

bought 2 rifles

Bringing my collection to 7
    The other 5 were handed down to me

Also ima a single male early 20's

And that's it

Personally don't know anyone else who bought a gun

Last edited:

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Please use the survey monkey link if possible. Keeps the data and the users separate. I don't anyone to use this the wrong way.
    So far I'm showing 42 new gun purchases for the last 12 months:
    Out of that:
    24% were Male and it was their first gun

12% were Female and it was their first gun
    19% were males and they were purchasing there 2 - 4 gun
    5% were women purchasing their 2 -4 gun
    10% were male purchasing thier 4 - 10 gun
    and 31% were male owned more than 10 guns.
    Women are a little behind on having enough guns. Course men are usually a little behind on shoe purchases :)
    Great stuff so far. So if I was really a marketer I would see there are a lot of new owners. 36%. Then those with more than 10. So I would target my advertising in something other than gun magazines or shows for the new customers. then I would do a different marketing plan going after those that have more than 10, likely buying a different more high end or unique piece.
    Thanks for the help so far! And any suggestions are appreciated and used :)

Top Bottom