• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I shot some ammo that i was not sure about this morning and havent cleaned it since i ve had (not very long a few months if that) but only went shooting twice now! i ve gotten it broken down and found the cleaning kit in the buttstock and what all do i need to do? i got some "break free CLP for my cleaner. any pictures videos, been looking on youtube but dont want to jack up my gun!:ar15:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Remember that AK-47's don't have to be nurtured the way other rifles do. They are made to be abused and run very well dirty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uYxVM-gGQ"]YouTube - Disassembling & Cleaning The AK-47[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFrU8UsNS8&feature=related[/ame]

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    ya i was watching this one, just not an expert so i dont know if this is a guy named joe who wants to make a video thinking he is cool! but if you guys say he is legit then thats enough for me!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Good call, read the comments on the bottom of his vid to see the publics reaction. I am not an expert on the AK either, as I just go my first. But youtube is a great source of info. I learned to field strip in about 10secs from there. Of course I also learned the art of redneck ninjaing too!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Get yourself some Hoppes 9 and an Otis pull through wire. Get some cotton patches for .30 Cal.

After I use my AK variant (technically the term "AK-47" only exists thanks to our news media), I disassemble it, and using the Otis wire I pull a patch dipped in the Hoppes from breech to muzzle. Let is sit for a couple of minutes while I clean off one of the other parts.

I run several Hoppes dampened patches through until one comes out fairly clean. Then I follow with one dry patch.

Next I put a patch in the Otis pull through and soak it with the Breakfree CLP, then run it through the bore. You would be amazed at how much more black comes out.

A couple of CLP patches followed by a couple of clean patches and the barrel is done.

The inside of the gas tube can be cleaned using one of the used Hoppes soaked patches. I wad up a piece of paper towel and use it to help push the patch through the gas tube. I use a wood dowel as a push rod. A couple of patches to clean out the tube, then just wad up a paper towel and lightly spray it with CLP, then push it through thet tube to finish it. You don't want it too wet or it will pick up a bunch of crud. Too dry is better than too wet.

Next make sure you swab out the gas port area on the gas block.

Wipe down the inside of the receiver with a light towel sprayed down with CLP. Don't forget the area around the barrel where the bolt locks up.

Wipe down the bolt and carrier. Sometimes I take a wire brush on a dremel to clean the carbon off the tip of the op-rod, but not really needed unless you think you are using corrosive ammo. If so make sure you get it clean and wipe it down with ammonia, then again with CLP. Don't leave ammonia on chrome surfaces too long.

Don't forget to wipe down the inside of the receiver cover. Also use that towel sprayed with CLP to wipe the outside of the receiver.

While this might seem like a lot for some to do to an AK, just remember, you spent your hard earned dollars on it, and don't have an armory to take it to if it needs a repair.

Personally I feel cleaning my weapons is a big part of enjoying them Enjoy yours!

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    When you are not sure if the ammo you are shooting is corrosive or not, always bring a spray bottle with window cleaner that contains ammonia with you. After you are done shooting spray some window cleaner down the bore, in the gas tube and on the bolt. The ammonia will neutralize the salts immediately, then when you get home clean the gun as you would normally.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    The ammonia will neutralize the salts immediately
    This is a common myth. Ammonia does not neutralize the salts of corrosive ammo---It will remove metal fouling such as copper and gilding metal. windex works on corrosive ammo because of the water and soap in it.

I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo in several machinguns and always just clean with warm soapy water as soon as I get home--then follow ordinary cleaning procedures with a boresolvent.

Steve

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    This is a common myth. Ammonia does not neutralize the salts of corrosive ammo---It will remove metal fouling such as copper and gilding metal. windex works on corrosive ammo because of the water and soap in it.

I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo in several machinguns and always just clean with warm soapy water as soon as I get home--then follow ordinary cleaning procedures with a boresolvent.

Steve

Why not schlep the windex and let it work on whatever it works on while you drive home?

Top Bottom