• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    Hello I recently bought a Bushmaster Ar 15 shoots 5.56 and has a top rail with optics. It has the generic rounded handguard and I would like to change this and add a quad rail. I was shopping around and my local store had 200$ and up quad rails etc. I stopped by Gander Mountain and found a quad rail from MFT for $60. Why the price difference? is it the brand or the material it is made of? I noticed the MFT said military grade polymer.

Thank you.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The MFT is polymer, and, they're a major PITA is you ever want to take them off. I usually like their stuff, but their handguards? Meh

Polymer will 99% of the time will be cheaper than aluminum.

Country or origin plays a role too. There's some drop in aluminum quad rails out there that are only $60 but the fit, finish, durability, and consistency usually sucks.

Blackhawk and Midwest Industries make drop in rails that don't cost too much and the finish is usually pretty good. Every now and then you can find a sale on Troy or Knights Armament forearms.

As for your LGS, for $200+, were they free float?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hello I recently bought a Bushmaster Ar 15 shoots 5.56 and has a top rail with optics. It has the generic rounded handguard and I would like to change this and add a quad rail. I was shopping around and my local store had 200$ and up quad rails etc. I stopped by Gander Mountain and found a quad rail from MFT for $60. Why the price difference? is it the brand or the material it is made of? I noticed the MFT said military grade polymer.

Thank you.

For $60 you're only getting a quad rail handguard insert. It won't be free floating.

MY GOD, SON, my mother was born is Rosedale some 90 years ago. God Rest Her Soul...

When jd refers to free floating, he's talking about a handguard assembly that when you pull down hard on the shoulder strap, it doesn't deflect the barrel downward.

As for the price difference, M67 notes well that the difference in material and country of manufacture can determine price. And your LGS is charging you for having the item you want in stock.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    AR15/M16 Military & Police 4 Sided Rail - M4 Carbine

I don't want to hurt my ar but saving money is awesome as I want to add rail and a foregrip.

Like I said, major PITA if you ever want to take them off.

If you're just wanting to add a VFG, I'd go for Magpul. They're cheaper, look better, and the regular MOE is pretty easy on-off

The SL takes a little finesse but I think it's sleaker

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Like I said, major PITA if you ever want to take them off.

If you're just wanting to add a VFG, I'd go for Magpul. They're cheaper, look better, and the regular MOE is pretty easy on-off

The SL takes a little finesse but I think it's sleaker

Huge :+1: the Magpul MOE, and SL are pretty dang sweet, and they don't feel like a cheese grater in your hand. Plus, MagPul is making all kinds of accessories for their handguards.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Huge :+1: the Magpul MOE, and SL are pretty dang sweet, and they don't feel like a cheese grater in your hand. Plus, MagPul is making all kinds of accessories for their handguards.

Agreed. The Magpul MOE is a great drop in handguard replacement that also allows you to add rails. If you are wanting a quad rail so you can add lasers, lights, optics, vertical grips, then I have had good luck with the UTG Pro Drop In Quad Rail. They can be had for around $70 online.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Huge
    +1.gif
    the Magpul MOE, and SL are pretty dang sweet, and they don't feel like a cheese grater in your hand. Plus, MagPul is making all kinds of accessories for their handguards.

I have to agree.

BCI2.jpg

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Midsouthshootherssupply.com has mtg aluminum drop in quad rails for about $32 in the clearance section. I have 2 of them and for the money have no complaints. They also have extended ones for about $10 more that are cut out for your frou t sight then go another 3-4 inches.

Top Bottom