• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cory nigra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    i have a smith and wesson mp 15. issues is that when i charge the bolt the buffer retainer spring comes out and gets bent to hell in the bolt. at the same time the buffer retainer spring cap flies out into the lower reciever. any and all advise on this repair will be helpful. please dont post anything negative about the rifle or what brand u recommend thanks.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Smith and Wesson has a famous lifetime warranty and will fix your gun for free, shipping included.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If you don't or can't take advantage of the warranty...

If you've ever built a lower, this is nothing to tackle... If it were me, I would pull buffer and spring, break loose my receiver extension castle nut, rotate it back a couple of turns, (slide my back plate back being mindful of the spring underneath it) and tighten my extension tube into my lower receiver. Enough so that the lip at the bottom of the tube covers the buffer retaining pin sufficiently to hold it in place. At this point, I reinstall the spring under the back plate, square the back plate up. I'd replace the spring with a new unit, and reinstall retaining pin. Then, I'd tighten the extension castle nut back, lock the lower into a vice, and I would stake the nut in place if it wasn't staked before. At this point, I'd be ready to reinstall my buffer and spring and put the rifle back together. I don't think I missed any steps. It's hard to verbalize without having a lower right in front of me... someone feel free to jump in if need be.

If you don't have the tools to this, go see a gun smith. From the sound of your problem, it should only take him/her a couple of minutes to fix.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom