• ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Career path towards becoming an instructor

Becoming an instructor is steadily becoming a passion of mine and a career path I’d like to pursue in addition to my full-time job (perhaps someday becoming my full-time job). Teaching prospective beginners what I already know from formal courses I’ve taken already, of what does and doesn’t work on and off the range (both under the supervision of a qualified instructor and my own trial-and-error experience), having casual instructional conversations, and/or helping them pick out their first pistol for home defense and/or carry is something I already enjoy doing informally. Now I’d like to embark on the path towards making it formal. Where would be a good place to get started? Are there official “instructor” classes through the NRA or some other organization I can take? Are there any organizations and/or private instructors I could apprentice under?

:ingo:

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You could always start offering classes for cheap and build a clientele. Good instruction gets the word out fast.

The other way is to have SOF experience.

Good luck.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    There is an NRA instructor certification you can get by taking a course from an NRA training counselor. There are a couple such counselors in Indy. Indy Gun Safety is the first one that comes to mind. They post classes on this forum. You should try a search, as this topic has come up before. There are a few threads on becoming an NRA instructor, the value of NRA courses, and what you can expect as far as attemping to make it your full-time gig. The majority of big-name trainers out there have military or law enforcement experience. Most other instructors I know do it on the side because it is their passion. They just can't make enough money to do it full time. That isn't always the case, though. Beyond the NRA instructor training, several trainers and training companies offer instructors courses as well.

The Range Master (Tom Givens) instructor development course is well-regarded. There are at least two AARs of that class posted on this site. I believe Defense Training International (John Farnam) offers an instructor course, though I don't see it listed on their site or schedule. Tactical Response (James Yeager) offers a five-day Tactical Instructor course. James Yeager posted a video series about the course on his YouTube channel. The video series is also posted here with discussion as well.

It seems there are a lot more people coming out and offering classes than in the past. I seem to hear about another trainer every time I turn around. I don't don't know what kind of business their turning but the market almost seems saturated with firearms trainers. What do you want to teach? Who do you want to teach? How much training have you taken?

Is your goal just to teach basic pistol classes?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I took the NRA basic pistol class with the intention of going on to get the basic pistol instructor certification. Thought it might be a bit of a waste of time but it was a very enjoyable learning experience.. My suggestion would be to start there.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member

[FONT=&amp]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[/FONT]

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I truly wish I could, and I recently talked to a recruiter, but the foot surgeries I've had (with hardware in my right foot) have effectively disqualified me from service.

Each branch has a different set of medical standards, as well as a different process for granting waivers for disqualifying conditions.IF you really want that experience, be open minded on the branch, and start pushing for waivers. The recruiter has absolutely ZERO say on what is or isn't a disqualifying condition past the basic pre-screen. MEPS, and the service Surgeon Generals are the final say.

When I enlisted, I required a medical waiver. It was a long process with lots of waiting, but my disqualification was eventually waived. Once I got in, I couldn't believe the number of people I met who also came in on a waiver, so just understand that while some conditions, like Asthma or heart problems cannot be waived, isn't a rare thing, or an unrealistic goal.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Quote from Tom Givens: "I can tell you the secret to making a small fortune as a firearms trainer.....start with a large fortune."

NRA is looking to change its format for their Basic courses. Expect these to follow an online format in the future.

The people actually making a living in firearms training are those with their own "schools" or otherwise have a lot of time invested in training and probably their own facilities.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sorry for the delayed response, didn't want to just do a drive by on this one. Jackson and VERT have already hit on some good points. Kirk calls it the charge of the 300 but I think it is more like the charge of the 300,000. There are new instructors everywhere. It used to be that most gun instructors came from three main categories. Military, Police, and Competition. In the case of the Military and Police instructors, many of them have a pension to fall back on, so if they don't make a ton of money, they can still live. I will repeat something I have said before, there are more than a few well known (relatively speaking) instructors who don't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of. IMO just having MIL or LE experience doesn't mean jack. First off, nothing says they can teach. Second off, the paradigm's do not necessarily line up with "self-defense". That being said, these guys get automatic legitimacy whether deserved or not. Deal with it. I suppose I should place a caveat here. Of course if said instructor was also an instructor in their prior or present service, they should at least have a decent chance of being good teachers. Also, some specialties are more lined up with what most people need in training than others. Just having been a solider or cop means nothing in this realm. We had numerous officers who barely qualified twice a year and never touched a gun otherwise. Guys on big departments probably see way more of this. Moving on.

If you do not have any of these legs up, it will be a harder road. Your best bet will be NRA and start small, or get in with an organization. The latter is what I did. What do you want to teach? What level of training do you have. Not counting my Military, Corrections, and LE training, (which as I said doesn't really match up well), I have over 500 training hours related directly to what I teach. I am already signed up for 5 classes or training seminars this year and am planning a couple more. Two of these are further instructor development classes. This is not unusual or even that much. rhino from ACT has quite a bit more, and I am guessing guys like Jackson, who so far has decided not to teach, has around the same. Of course all of the classes out there won't do any good if you are not able to effectively communicate what you are trying to teach. This is of course an individual thing. Some just aren't cut out for it. Beyond that there are different styles that people like. I don't care for the a-hole or drill instructor style, but some do.

Past all of this you have the actual business aspect of it. You can only lose money for so long. (Ask me how I know.) Even if your goal isn't to make money you have to have a sustainable business model. This is where a lot of good "teachers" in the industry have came up short. Even if you are not at the level of Rangemaster, or TR or SI, there is a lot to consider from the business aspect. Insurance,accepting payments, equipment, where to hold your classes, MARKETING, finding your core audience, and on and on. Frank over at Fotress Defense is someone who at least to me seems to be able to balance this pretty well with actually also teaching good material.

These are just some of the things to consider. More will probably come to mind. If this is something you feel passionate about, make a plan and go for it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    ...and I am guessing guys like Jackson, who so far has decided not to teach, has around the same.

I have a few hundred hours of private-sector firearm-related training. Four or five hundred may be a good estimate. No LEO, .GOV, or .MIL experience, though. I used to have it tallied up but my list is outdated. I don't feel like that is very much. Plenty of guys (and/or gals) on here have plenty more than that. I don't really feel qualified to teach professionally. I enjoy taking people to the range and getting them started. I'll give people advice when asked. Otherwise, I have a lot further to go in my own personal development before I'd feel qualified to sell my knowledge.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in everything that goes in to organizing and running professional training if I did feel qualified. From my perspective as a student, putting on a training class requires a lot of time and effort. Developing the curriculum, dealing with insurance, organizing the class (which I imagine requires significant time outside of class hours), finding a range, setup, tear down, spending all that time on the range and doing so little shooting... I know several instructors, and while I'm not familiar with their financial situation, I know most of them have a full-time job and instructing is their side gig. I don't see too many who appear to be adequatly compensated for the time and effort they exert. They do it for the enjoyment of teaching. I'd rather just be out shooting.

ETA: If they were adequately compensated, I'd be able to afford far fewer classes and that hours number we talked about earlier would be much smaller. So, I am grateful to the guys like rhino and Cedartop who spend the dollars to go to classes and bring it back at a price point we can afford in the local market. These local instructors are a great resource, pretty affordable, and really put a lot more effort in behind the scenes than they get credit for.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So, I am grateful to the guys like rhino and Cedartop who spend the dollars to go to classes and bring it back at a price point we can afford in the local market. These local instructors are a great resource, pretty affordable, and really put a lot more effort in behind the scenes than they get credit for.

+1

Top Bottom