• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My wife wants a security system for our house. We don't want to pay for monitoring, and I am comfortable with installing myself. I have had zero luck at big box and hardware stores finding the electronics to build the system I want.

We have a single story "ranch" house with basement. We have two main doors (front and back) and a door to an attached garage.

I want a wired system with at least one lighted keypad with entry chime, 30 sec time delay, but instant alarm capability, two or more in door sensors, AND either multiple glass break or pet friendly motion sensor capability. And of course a loud alarm horn.

Bonus for wireless key fob arm/disarm/panic and progressive alarm (indoor first, then outdoor siren) Also bonus for individual alarm zone indication.

Budget is $300 to $500

Anyone know where to find this kind of system?

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I looked at fry's once long ago, but haven't been there recently. I'll look later this week.

Any other suggestions?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/AAS-600-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B002JFG3BY/ref=pd_cp_e_2]Amazon.com: AAS 600 Wireless Home Security Alarm System Kit DIY (R): Home Improvement[/ame]

I bought this a few months ago and I've been playing with it for a while. It's not high quality, but I have no real complaints so far. The learning curve for a DIY is high but it's been reliable for what it is. You can also get a cellular card for it to make it autonomous, and it's got a lot of flexibility in expansion and the like. I use it to monitor three buildings in close proximity out here.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    DY home security system

There are a few places online that should be able to serve your needs. Personally I bought my alarm panel, 2 - key pads at Radio Shack and purchased multiple sensors, door and window contacts online...Consider where you want to locate your horn. I located my horn directly on my plenum chamber so that it echo's throughout the house... Also consider a battery backup cause if you loose power your alarm may trigger upon restoring power and/or your keypad code may be reset to default.
    Good for you for DIY. I did mine (non monitored) years ago.
    Also online you can get window and other stickers about your monitored alarm.

Also consider a wireless panic alarm too. I have a couple of hand held key fobs that I've tied into my system. You can even purchase a dialer that can dial a phone number with your recorded message.
    Good luck!:yesway:

Chrolle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I did a DIY from Fry's at my last house I had and it worked pretty good. Wanna say I paid 499.99 for that system with remote fobs etc. My house im in now has a newer ADT system and it works without monitoring. It was constantly beeping due to no hard wired phone line but I looked up the hack to by pass that and it works very well. If you could find one of those on craigslist it might work out for you.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    In the castleton area there is a place called SES. The sell to the pros and have all different levels of alarm systems. I'm not sure if they sell to the public but if they won't PM me and I can use my account to get it. If you decide to buy online look for a Honywell system as they are very installer friendly. Stay away from DSC alarm system as they can be complicated on the install/programming side and should only be installed by pros. Often times you can buy a whole Honeywell system on Ebay pretty cheap and add on options with the same retailer. After you buy what you need as far as the system all you need is door contacts , b-conectors, and 22-4 wire. Will you be fishing the wires yourself?
    You can also look at www.smarthome.com

Edit: Honeywell also goes under the Ademco name

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    safemart.com the concord 4 systems are very easy to install and the wireless sensor range is good. Can be used with or without monitoring, or just have it call you during an alarm with a voice module.

Top Bottom