• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    We don't hunt elk in Indiana and it is to that point I am speaking. A dead 100lb deer @ <100yards is a dead 100lb deer @ < 100yards.

And, I am not sure that they are getting extra velocity from the rounds that have been chosen as parent cases. The WSSM case gives a lot of volume in a short distance. Gonna be hard to beat that one. The rule was only changed, and this is just my opinion, to include the 460 S&W Mag.

Unless there is a case that keeps the main body size of the WSSM for .2", you may not even get the extra velocity. There still is that little thing called pressure too. There is just so much you can do with an Encore and a bolt gun is not the end all of all.

FWIW

Spark,
    I understand completely! ;)

I agree completely on not needing an elk gun to hunt deer in Indiana, but we didn't CHOOSE the 35 caliber minimum, the state imposed that, so we have to play by the rules.

Also, I know that the average shot taken on deer comes at around 100 yards, but what about that occasional opportunity you get at 230 yards? Maybe the average is low because the guns used don't have a lot of reach? ;) I'd much rather have 250 yards worth of effective range, and only need 75 of it, than the other way around.

Concerning the quoted line, in bold: The 35WSSM has a bigger brother. It is the same exact thing, based on the same diameter, but longer, WSM case. It is .175" longer, has more case capacity and does, in fact, result in 150-200fps more velocity. It's already out there, being tested and proven. Guys started building 'em as soon as the 1.800" regs were confirmed. Have you not seen all the comments about the WSM based 35's ? :dunno:

Last edited:

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    I too agree that the 1.8 rule was most likely adopted to include the .460S&W. Too much confusion from folks who didn't "know" why a 44mag and 500S&W were legal but the 460 wasn't just from looking at the numbers. I saw this first hand at our local gun shop.

When you look at a 150-200fps velocity increase that really is a significant amount percentage-wise. My buddy has used his 1.625v to take 2 nice bucks between 215 and 245yds, the third was at a whopping 35yds. All were DRT. :)

True we don't hunt elk here but the extra energy isn't a bad thing.

spark

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I too agree that the 1.8 rule was most likely adopted to include the .460S&W. Too much confusion from folks who didn't "know" why a 44mag and 500S&W were legal but the 460 wasn't just from looking at the numbers. I saw this first hand at our local gun shop.

Im not 100% on this but I believe the 1.8 rule is for the 450 bushmaster not the 460sw

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There is no question that the Indiana PCR reg's were updated to allow 1.800" long cartridges specifically to include the 460S&W. As someone else already stated, the 44 Magnum was legal and the 500 Magnum was legal...how could the one right in the middle, the 460 Magnum, NOT be legal? The majority of hunters, and shooters in general, do not know or care how long the case length is for the ammo they shoot.

Nobody knows how many deer will killed illegally with 460S&W rifles during the last few years, but the DNR obviously figured it was easier to simply include that round than it was to fight the confusion caused by their own silly regulations.

Top Bottom