• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    Hey guys, looking to by my first AR. It will probably be my last AR I purchase for a while so I want it to last me. I'm not looking to dish out for Daniel Defense or similar price range quality (I'm just a poor college kid), but I don't want to go on the cheap side. I'd rather save up a bit more and pay for the nicer rifle that I will enjoy more. Here's what I'm looking for.

16 inch
    Direct Impingement
    A3 style (flat top)
    5.56 chamber
    Mid-length gas system
    1-7 twist preferred

I plan on mainly using this rifle for range time fun, but would also have it for HD, no hunting and I'm not expecting to go to war any time soon. Hopefully going to get a suppressor for it someday and eventually want to get a 300 BLK upper for it as well. I wanted to someday have a red dot or ACOG for it, but I want to have a Magpul rear MBUS (maybe MBUS pro) in the mean time. Front as well if it doesn't have an F marked FSB. I think I want to go with MOE hand guards and a CTR stock. I don't want a ambi safety but want a dust cover and forward assist. Wasn't sure if I should buy a model as close as I can to it, like a DPMS MOE Warrior and then swap out the things I wanted to change and sell off the other parts, or if I should get a no frills nice AR and add on from there. Also, the DPMS is one that came up a lot, I have heard a lot of negative things about them, and although I'm sure they are great for many peoples needs, I would rather get something that I know has a better track record. Let me know what you guys come up with as far as options, and I'm happy to answer other questions about what I'm looking for or anything that might help.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since you have spec'd it out in detail, you might consider building one to your exact specs or you may have to make a few compromises or changes in the final product if you buy complete.

I don't know what it's like now, but last year I built one for less than I would have paid for one comparably equipped.

For me, having it just the way I want it, was better than buying something close and then swapping out parts. You won't get much of anything for parts you remove from a factory rifle and they just take up space collecting dust.:)

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah, I'd just build it. You seem to know exactly what you want, and probably wont be happy with any production rifle in the cheaper price range.

And like Greg said above, if you buy that production rifle, and think you're going to sell those cheap hand guards, stock, or grip, you're crazy.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have a DPMS Recon 5.56.The only difference from your specs that you listed is that it's a 1:9 twist.Don't worry about the brand bashers and fanboys,the DPMS shoots just fine and I haven't had a single problem with mine.It came with MBUS front and rear flip ups,CTR stock,MOE grip,and a 5.56 chamber.It's a great rifle for the price range that you're looking for.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    I second building it if you can.

Look at Palmetto State, Spikes, Windham Weaponry, RRA, Stag and Core 15 for building or whole rifles. There are quite a few more, just search and read a lot of reviews and don't make a decision based on one person's feedback. These guys are in mid/upper tier. Sig Sauer M400 has a lot of followers too and around $900 at Walmart if you're lucky.

Some say that as long as it's mil-spec or higher, you're paying for the name in the higher end stuff, but YMMV.

I would take my time and not do a spur of the moment purchase because something is in stock. Wait and the prices will go down. You will be able to get a bare bones DD for a little more than $1000 if you wait.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    I don't have the cash for Daniel Defense...

Take a look at Daniel Defense!

Classic

I totally missed that in the op. My buddy shoots a dpms though and it's never had a hiccup. Seems like a great value for the money. With a magpul stock and grip it feels as nice as anything

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Get a Del-Ton. Love mine; my Dad loves his. I paid about 650 for mine, its a carbine length with Magpul MOE furniture in OD. Though ours have 1:9 twists. Everything except the barrel is mil-spec. Very nice fit and finish. They have mids... they are the Sierra series, the Echo series are carbine length. I actually wanted a Sierra but wound up with an Echo but found I did not mind too much. Besides, gives me the excuse to build my own mid-length later on using top tier components once I get my wife hooked on shooting them. Lol.

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know what I was thinking when I said don't have the money for Daniel Defense. I meant to say like Larue and those 2k+ rifles. I never really looked into Daniel Defense much and just started to today. I'm thinking about going with the DDM4. I built one up on their thing and although I didn't want a rail, its almost everything I want (I can add a few minor things) plus a decent rail for a nice price right at what I was thinking. For anyone that's made a rifle or ordered through them, are there extra costs associated or is the cost at the summary of the rifle pretty much the final?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am enjoying my spikes lower and Palmetto carbine upper. They have middy uppers on sale from time to time.

I would buy the pieces and snap it together (that's what I did). :)

Now I want to change a couple things though, but that's the job of another upper/AR.

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    The problem with building one is that I want a Vltor lower. That and I don't know what all I want to have my built rifle be. For now though I just want to buy one complete. Gonna be a while before I get it yet and hopefully I can find someone that has one similar and see if I might make it go bang a few times before finally settling on it as my choice. But rest assured, I will be back here asking about opinions on my build, just not for a while.

Top Bottom