• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Can anyone guide me to a website or a few companies products so that i can read, learn, compare and decide on what knife i want to pick up?
    im looking for a quality fixed blade w/ partial serrations , 6-8" or bigger, something tough, heavy even is fine. i love a ka-bar but want something 'badder', i like the esse 5 and 6, but want to see what other similar products are on the market. used for a general chopping, hacking, cutting, gutting, sort of tool.

Also, im new to the quality knife game.. so forgive my ignorant, elementary questions if they are
    1095 steel seems to be a standard material of knifes from Esee and other companies, but have read that they rust (even when using the recommended Tuf Cloth products) at a more rapid rate in humid climates such as Indiana summers. would stainless be better??
    Now before someone spouts off as to the word "better" and the w i d e range of the word, i mean in durability, edge retention, longevity, etc.
    thanks much

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Can anyone guide me to a website or a few companies products so that i can read, learn, compare and decide on what knife i want to pick up?
    im looking for a quality fixed blade w/ partial serrations , 6-8" or bigger, something tough, heavy even is fine. i love a ka-bar but want something 'badder', i like the esse 5 and 6, but want to see what other similar products are on the market. used for a general chopping, hacking, cutting, gutting, sort of tool.

Also, im new to the quality knife game.. so forgive my ignorant, elementary questions if they are
    1095 steel seems to be a standard material of knifes from Esee and other companies, but have read that they rust (even when using the recommended Tuf Cloth products) at a more rapid rate in humid climates such as Indiana summers. would stainless be better??
    Now before someone spouts off as to the word "better" and the w i d e range of the word, i mean in durability, edge retention, longevity, etc.
    thanks much

I couldn't keep my izula from rusting. So I sold it FWIW.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    My three boys and I have really never had any rust with our ESEE's. Heck we use any type of oil around to wipe them down

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Are you asking for 6-8" blade or overall length?

Specific purpose you feel you need serrations for?

Price range?

You going to use it as a pry bar, death instrument or cut up firewood?

How are your sharpening skills?

What kind of sheath are you looking for, how and when will it be carried?

The companies listed below are in no particular order....

Welcome to Strider Knives

Grayman Knives

cassel knives

TOPS Knives.com

Welcome to the Busse Combat Knife Company

Welcome to Swamp Rat Knives

Scrap Yard Knife Works

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Are you asking for 6-8" blade or overall length?
    Blade length, but like i said i could easily be convinced to go with a bigger blade

Specific purpose you feel you need serrations for?
    No specific need, just have always found them handy depending on whatever task comes up

Price range?
    ~200

You going to use it as a pry bar, death instrument or cut up firewood?
    No prying, not unless WWIII kicks off and i get recalled to my infantry unit, and would like to have the ability to chop wood but not a necessity

How are your sharpening skills?
    I would say average. i regularly sharpen my gil hibben throwing knives, my wood chopping tools, filet knives, kitchen knives and have never had any real problems getting them good as new

What kind of sheath are you looking for, how and when will it be carried?
    My first thought is a Cordura type so that it can be attached to molle gear if needed but also i could get a set up so that i could wear it horizontally at the small of my back on my belt. When im hunting, camping, hiking, fishing. Probably carried 75-100 days a year
    The companies listed below are in no particular order....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Lots of good suggestions thus far. I tend to like high carbon steel on a hard use knife. Remember, stainless means stains-less, not stain proof. For that your going to need H1 or N680.

If most of the blade is coated, all you need to worry about staining is the exposed edged, and maybe where they laser etched their name on it. Also, if you polish the edge fine enough, it will resist staining. For those sort of knives, I like to put some grease on the exposed parts when not in use. Nice thing about using that is it doesn't dry up like oil. When you need to use the knife, slide the grease up on to the coated part of the blade, onto the sheath, etc....., and then reapply when your done. If the blade isn't coated, force a patina on it and then grease it up. And remember, your talking about a knife your going to use and not one to hang on the wall. Who cares if the blade gets a little oxidation? It will likely come off the next time you use it.

Two of my favorite companies I would take a look at are Bark River and Blind Horse. And attend the 1500. Lots of great knife makers like Busse, Blind Horse, Jeff White, etc.... And don't forget the great vendors like INGO's own dynamic duo: Brad and Knife Lady.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Ohio

thanks much

Hello PriestEG,

The ESEE 5 is hard to beat for the money. It's built like a tank with the best warranty in the business. I have sold thousands of knives with 1095 steel and as a rule, rusting has not been an issue IF you do minimal blade maintenace such as cleaning it when done using it and putting a light coat of oil on it. I read through this thread and saw where you mentioned your carry preference. There is a MOLLE back available for the ESEE 5 & 6 knives that really gives you a lot of carry options. The whole set up would be within your stated budget.

I hope this helps!

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I have almost every ESEE knive avaliable and I'm only short one of their group buys and absolutly love them. I haven't had any of my ESEE's rust on me yet. I have one of my 5's etched and stripped and still no problems. I use it to baton firewood while out camping and the coating was wearing off in the middle where most of the batoning occured so I etched the logo's and then stirpped the knife.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on all of my knives becasue I use them in the kitchen from time to time too. Mostly becasue I'm too lazy to walk over and get a different knife so I'll just pull out whatever knife I'm carrying. I have to say the ESEE 3 is the best slicer and the Junglas is the best chopper. I have several Izula's also and love them. I carry one of my 6's and an Izula in a custom piggyback kydex sheath set up with a pouch and tin made by Godspeed Tactical at www.godspeedtactical.com.

ESEE has just come out with a stainless steel line of some of their knives too. They were introduced at SHOT this year so it may be a little while before they are avaliable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Ohio
    I have almost every ESEE knive avaliable and I'm only short one of their group buys and absolutly love them. I haven't had any of my ESEE's rust on me yet. I have one of my 5's etched and stripped and still no problems. I use it to baton firewood while out camping and the coating was wearing off in the middle where most of the batoning occured so I etched the logo's and then stirpped the knife.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on all of my knives becasue I use them in the kitchen from time to time too. Mostly becasue I'm too lazy to walk over and get a different knife so I'll just pull out whatever knife I'm carrying. I have to say the ESEE 3 is the best slicer and the Junglas is the best chopper. I have several Izula's also and love them. I carry one of my 6's and an Izula in a custom piggyback kydex sheath set up with a pouch and tin made by Godspeed Tactical at www.godspeedtactical.com.

ESEE has just come out with a stainless steel line of some of their knives too. They were introduced at SHOT this year so it may be a little while before they are avaliable.

There is a lot of interest in the upcoming ESEE stainless steel knives. They are going to be awesome!

Top Bottom