• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I don't want to make a regretful hasty decision so soliciting some info experiences or suggestions on trading off. I have both a Henry 357 lever and a 1983 Marlin AS 30-30 (I bought pre-owned but never fired and it has the nice bluing and quality look that the new Marlins no longer exhibit IMO). I love both guns but in reality don't really need both. Thinking of selling off the Henry to purchase a Ruger 10/22 Take-down model and a Ruger Mark 22/45. But, I also have a CZ 452 Lux bolt action, a henry golden boy lever, a SW 617 4" and a SW 63-5 3" revolver. My thinking is I would have a nice collection of .22's that cover a lot of functional utility. But, I also have a SW 686 .357 that pairs nicely with the Henry .357 rifle. I would still have the 30-30 to pair with if I traded the Henry but the Henry is a sweet shooter and the 357's are not easy to come by. Perhaps doing nothing is best decision but two new guns sound really fun too! I guess what deciding factors would help or guide your decision? Thanks.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I would never sell or trade off that marlin or the 357 lever action in order to get those two firearms that are plentiful and relatively inexpensive:twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Tough call. The .357 lever gun has some value right now as it is legal to hunt deer with in Indiana. You might be able to find someone to pay decent money or get decent trade in for it at a gun store. Given the political climate and some of the unknowns for the future (we know that gun control will continue to be an agenda item, but don't know how successful it will be), I would be holding on to what I could right now and look at other ways to afford additional items for the collection.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keep both. Purchase additional as you are able. Those are fine rifles and will be very hard to re-acquire in future. Do not let them get away.. You WILL regret selling one later on.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Since you have never fired the Marlin and it is not currently deer legal in Indiana that might be the one to sell if you would use the Rugers more frequently. Of course, if you can save up for the new guns without selling the Marlin then you could enjoy the anticipation of saving up for something you want without the regret of selling a fine Marlin. You don't really have any junk in the collection so anything you sell might be a source of future regret.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    DNR approved the new deer regs for next year so that 30-30 may just come in handy in 2015, providing the new regs are signed off on. I wouldn't sell either of them, as said earlier they would be harder to replace than saving and picking up the plentiful 10/22 and 22/45 as money allows.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I wouldn't sell any of them. I have sooner or later regretted every gun that I have ever sold. Save up and buy what ever you want to add to your collection. Trust me on this, it is very hard to replace anything that you sell.

Also at this time it is still hard to get 22 ammo.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks all....exactly what I was looking for. I'm keeping both. Just needed some support and good advice not to do something I would come to regret (again).

Top Bottom