• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    My wife was the same way. I took her with me to a local gun shop (a surprise to her) and we looked at a few guns. One of the staff was a very knowledgeable young lady that talked my wife through her fear of guns and answered her questions. By the time we left, my wife had held multiple guns and she had learned the proper way to hold a gun. It qas a risky move to kind of trick her into that situation....but she is much more comfortable now, but still won't shoot with me. The good thing is that after that instance she stopped giving me a hard time about guns and I have purchased one gun since that without any grief.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    8 years of marriage so far. Been trying everything to get her to go shooting. She hates them but has no reason to. Her dad and brother own shotguns but she keeps calling me a doomsday prepper and other funny things. She especially hates it when I carry. She wasn't like this prior to marriage. She wasn't outspoken, just indifferent.
    You know what you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? ......nothin she has already been told twice! :laugh:

Tell her, listen woman, "you dont have anything that any other woman dont have. "I" will trade your Arse in for a younger model!"

Video it and put in on youtube, we wanna watch this go down! :):

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Careful. That one can have repercussions.

woman-slaps-man.jpg

I've seen your work...

google-slap-monkey.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My wife recognizes it is something I enjoy. She also recognizes it's useful to her, to know how to use firearms well. But she doesn't get into them as much as I do.
    I am lucky I guess that she recognizes I get enjoyment out of them, and as such has little issue with responsible procurement of firearms & related items. :)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That is a tough one........no answer.

I agree. I've been thinking all evening and that's a darn good reason to dislike firearms. I don't think getting someone like that over their fear of firearms should be a main goal. Seems like there would be deeper issues to deal with.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for your responses. For a while I was wondering whether I was alone. When she first told me about it, I was speechless. Like you, I felt like that was a "darn good reason" not to like guns. It makes me wonder: many of us got into guns because we don't want to be victims, but if we become victims (i.e., shot by a bad guy), will we still feel the same about guns?

To respect her privacy, I don't want to give too many details. She's from a family of shooters, so she knows that guns don't just suddenly jump up and bite people by themselves. I'm guessing she's probably even shot guns herself at one point. But because of what an a**h*le did to her, she is firmly opposed to guns. On the other hand, it may please you to know that she went on to have a productive life, though firearms still elicit a really visceral reaction from her.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Damn I am lucky!!! My wife loves guns and loves to shoot. She likes range time and carries everyday. She still worries that people will say something if they see it but that doesn't stop her from carrying. I love it!

Do you have any friends that have Ladyfriends that like to shoot? If so, see if they can get them to take her along.

USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    Great news guys! Our first range trip together is next week. I tried bribery, getting friends to go, and trying to reason with her. Although she says she won't enjoy it, she agreed to go. I dont know what swayed her, since it was pretty much the same tactics as usual. Maybe it was just the repetitive attempts that made her give in. At least it's a step in the right direction. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks and Semper Fi.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    you need to make her realize the safety a gun provides, women are all about feelings, if she feels scared then she will do something about it, i like the argument that if a guy comes in the house and she is alone, and he wants to kill or rape her, she has zero defense and will either die or get raped if thats what the guy wants, women usually respond to something like that. make her make YOU take her to the range, start with the mind first, forget guns, reveal the real danger in life and then she will motivate herself

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    I stumbled on the solution just last week. After two extremely long and boring hours of following the wife around an antique mall, she stated as we walked out the door, "I owe you, maybe I will even go to the gun show with you". I said no, that would be 4 or 5 hours, how about just going to the range for an hour with me. IT WORKED!!! She shot a 22, 380 and 45 and now wants her own 380.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Patience is the key. My wife was the same way for quite awhile (until my son and I would go shooting). Then she began to wonder why we could spend hours at the range (fear setting in). Last Valentines day at a gun shop (her idea) I bought nothing and she bought a TC380 after informing me my insurance was paid. Took about 2 months to get her to the range and she shot all I had except the 44mag. While she isn't a convert she understands and is far more tolerant of my hobby. Maybe someday we will have regular outings but at least she isn't a hater anymore. By the way, we have been married for 34 years so be prepared for the long campaign.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, it's because you guys just smell funny. :laugh:

That coming from a monkey ? :D

Great news guys! Our first range trip together is next week. I tried bribery, getting friends to go, and trying to reason with her. Although she says she won't enjoy it, she agreed to go. I dont know what swayed her, since it was pretty much the same tactics as usual. Maybe it was just the repetitive attempts that made her give in. At least it's a step in the right direction. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Great news ! Might only get (1) chance, so put some thought into it.... Take something that won't intimidate her and make it fun for her.... I think a larger .22 LR pistol is hard to beat for first time shooters... Let her confidence build before handing her something more challenging....

Too often I see people hand new shooters small pistols with a trigger pull that hurts my finger to watch... That or I see them hand their wife/GF a snubbie with full power loads only to see them lay it down and walk away after (1) shot... .22 LR pistols, something with a decent trigger, and heavier framed options with MILD loads would probably give her the best chance for a enjoyable day....

Good luck !

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

Great news ! Might only get (1) chance, so put some thought into it.... Take something that won't intimidate her and make it fun for her.... I think a larger .22 LR pistol is hard to beat for first time shooters... Let her confidence build before handing her something more challenging....

Too often I see people hand new shooters small pistols with a trigger pull that hurts my finger to watch... That or I see them hand their wife/GF a snubbie with full power loads only to see them lay it down and walk away after (1) shot... .22 LR pistols, something with a decent trigger, and heavier framed options with MILD loads would probably give her the best chance for a enjoyable day....

Good luck !

Agreed. No desert eagles on the first range trip! Slow and steady wins the race! :)
    Congrats! I think she will have a great time with you!

AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

Good luck !

I agree. And you might want to go over the basics beforehand- like how it works, how to hold, safety, etc.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012

Good luck !
    Take this advice. I have loaned my ruger mark III and gifted the ammo to folks I don't know so the first time shooter will have a positive experience.

Top Bottom