• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    I'm not going to sit and argue (not suggesting that's your intent either) about it.
    I've known multiple kids who had a 20g and after shooting a 12g have claimed it had less recoil. My daughter is one of them that had that experience. The point is if you have a 1 oz load at 1200 fps the only real difference you will feel is from the difference in gun weight.
    Also, online recoil calculators are about worthless. Recoil is perceived differently by each individual and how well the shotgun fits them, how they hold the gun etc. IMHO, unless the gun is to be carried all day in a field, why would anyone really even consider a 20g?
    You’re comparing different shotguns with different fitment instead of comparing 12 vs 20ga. A true test would be same model gun, one in 20ga and one in 12ga. I can’t argue someone’s feelings or perceptions as they are non quantifiable.
    So, when I bought my brother a box of 3.5 inch 10ga shells that shoot 2oz of shot at 1350fps I should tell him it will kick like a 20ga?
    It kicks more like a .410

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No
    You’re comparing different shotguns with different fitment instead of comparing 12 vs 20ga. A true test would be same model gun, one in 20ga and one in 12ga. I can’t argue someone’s feelings or perceptions as they are non quantifiable.

It kicks more like a .410
    No, same model guns in 12 vs 20 would still have different weights and that effects recoil. I'm saying if you take a 12g Win AA loaded with 1oz #8 at 1200 fps and a 20g Win AA loaded with 1oz #8 at 1200 fps there wouldn't be any discernable difference between them.
    Moving the same mass at the same speed is going to be the same within whatever +/- acceptable tolerance.
    Now, differences in gun weight, fit, how hard the shooter keeps it pulled to the shoulder, lifting head off stock etc are what give the biggest differences in felt recoil.
    Where the 20 shines is being lighter weight when being carried all day and only shot a few times. There's a reason target shotguns weigh more and that is to reduce felt recoil and to slow the gun swing (to be less whippy).

Top Bottom