• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkc054054

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I am trying to reload 223 Remington for the first time. I have made it to the bullet seating step-I am using the Lee Bullet Seating Die (see pictures). The brass is Frontier 223 REM, the bullet is a Hornady 55 grain FMJBT. The Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual says that for a 55 GR SPR SP (no info for my bullet - see picture) the COL is 2.200 inches. The Hodgon's 2013 Annual Reloading Manual(see picture) shows for the 55 GR HDY FMJ a COL of 2.200 inches. When I seated the bullet to the cannelure and measured the overall length with my calipers (see picture) it measured 2.259 inches which is much longer than 2.200 inches. The brass measured 1.754 inches, the bullet measure 0.747 inches. If I seat the bullet much deeper it will bulge the shoulders of the brass. This has already happened to me.

What am I doing wrong? And why does the Hodgdon Annual Manual show almost no informaton for the 55 GR HDY FMJ bullet?

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are crushing shoulders by seating deeper it is because you are crimping before the bullet is seated to the proper depth. Back the die body out a couple turns. Seat the bullet to the proper depth. Back the seater stem out several turns. Turn the die body down to get the desired crimp. Turn the seater stem down until it seats against the bullet. This will give you a properly seated bullet and a crimp at the same time. Having all of your brass trimmed to the same length is important. I prefer to crimp in a second step personally.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Unless you want to trim all of your brass to the same length. I would just use the factory crimp die. That's what I prefer, and it really does not take much time.

jkc054054

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I am not crimping with the bullet seating die. I just don't understand why the manuals I have say the OAL should be 2.200 when everyone else is saying an OAL between 2.250 and 2.260 is fine.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I use the same Hornady FMJBT bullets and set mine at 2.210 and have no problems with crushed shoulders. I set the right to the top of the canalure. Like others have said double check your seating die and make sure you aren't unintentionally crimping them. I do also use a lee FCD die to put a very slight crimp on them but the rest of my dies are Redding.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Do they fit in the magazine? Do they cycle through the action, without engaging the lands? If there is a cannelure, seat the bullet until you're almost at the top of it and then supply a mild crimp. Do this in a 2nd operation and you won't buckle any shoulders. If you are having problems with the shoulder, it's because the body of the die is screwed down too far. The Lee FCD is the easiest way to get a good crimp at whatever length you decide on, regardless of the cannelure.

The OAL in load books, for bottle-necked cartridges, is largely a recommendation...not a hard and fast rule. Presuming you're not right at MAX charge, you can adjust the OAL out .050" without any issues, so long as that doesn't put you into the lands. Magazine length and proper feed/function of the action is what you should be looking at.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    All you load book is telling you is that their data in that section was generated using that particular COL. Remember, they aren't using the exact same bullet that you are using, just one that is similar to it. I'm sure they call out the max COL in there at some point and it should be 2.260. Your just under the max so you should be fine.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Yep, thats the length they used, DONT go below it. You can go out as far as yer mag will allow. Some books will also give u a certain length with their "most accurate load tested" compared to a general oal for all other loads.

Top Bottom