• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    i just picked up a helwan 9mm i was wondering if any1 had any trouble wit these or if they are pretty good guns... ny imput would be nice. thanks dustin:ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Never heard of one, so I had to look it up.

helwan.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    ya i think it is... i did some research and it seemed to be a decent peice but from what i have read online is all good i was just wondering if any1 has had the opp. to shoot one yet... here is the link to where i found out about the gun and his reviehttp://www.geocities.com/xavierbreath2/helwan.htmlw on it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are you trying to accomplish with this gun? Defensive carry? Plinking? Tinkering? House gun?

To be perfectly honest it seems like a cheapie knockoff with an oddly placed magazine release. Tinkering with it could be fun, if you're into that sort of thing.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I haven ever got a chance to handle one up close. although i have always wanted one for the collection just to have. Where did you get it at if you don't mind me asking? and for how much?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    i got a good deal on it... i was going to just shoot some rounds though it and sell it to make a lil money off it... but over the past couple weeks i have tinkered around with it so i think i might keep it... it is my first handgun that is why i was asking i dont know very much about these things...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    i got it from a guy i work with he was getting rid of all his guns so i bought that 9mm and also a .25 that i flipped and sold for 250... i gave 200 for both guns and some ammo

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If its your first handgun, and you've already made your money back by flipping the other one, I'd keep it just for sentimentality's sake.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Had one for years. It's a clone of the 1952 beretta. Very heavy piece, only held 8 rounds and safety in weird spot. Mine would only feed fmj ball, no hollow points. It also was prone to having the hammer and trigger lock up. Got rid of it years ago, don't miss it at all. Hope you have better luck with yours.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    That's cool. if you decide you don't want it. I might be interested in buying it from you. As i love beretta style handguns.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have one, not by choice, it is the biggest piece of crap in the world!!! No I am not joking. My mother-in-law got it passed down to her and gave it to me. I field stripped it and put fresh ammo in it. I couldn't hit a target if it was 1ft in front of me. I will shoot 2-3 rounds off then lock the slide back for no reason. The grips are cheapo plastic and I dropped the gun once and cracked\broke them, new ones cost what the gun is worth! I have to use a screw driver to drop the mag out. I could go on for days about this gun. I hate bad mouthing other peoples things, but I have to call it like I see it. On a flip note I had a High point 9mm and it was a great gun, can't say enough good things about it, and its the same cost. Please don't trust your life or loved ones with this gun, it's not worth it! If its just a plinking gun then so be it. Sorry for the rant.

I re-read others post and seen where someone said it wouldn't feed hollow points, I sold my carry gun and had to wait a couple weeks for my new gun to get in, I bought some Speer gold dots and ran all the extra ammo in the box through it so I would just have enough for the mag and chamber and it all fed just fine, although as usual it locked the slide back for no reason.

Last edited:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I had one and loved it. Got to handle one the other day and it was an early Eygeptian marked one. The early ones were better made. If I could find an original Beretta 51 I would snap it up. Very flat and Fun to shoot.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Owned on about 10 Yrs back. Had to return it for repair right away, a setscrew in the frame was hitting something it shouldnt, bent the screw, gun quit working.. After repair, it seemed "OK", but nothing impressive. Didn' keep it long.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Don't think I would count on it to save my life. if it came down to that. but would be a fun little gun to mess around with. I personally would probably get a different piece for personal protection. just my 1.5 cents

Top Bottom