Hendricks county firearms ordinance questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Talked to a cop friend of mine today and he said as long as we arnt in town, and the area is safe to shoot then we are fine. He said even if we get a complaint all we have to do is stop for the day, and continue the next :)

RugerAvenue9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2019
    Avon
    In the absence of law to the contrary prior to 1994 (when pre-emption was passed), firing a firearm on your own property is not unlawful, therefore the b**** across the street can call all she wants. When the sheriff arrives, you might suggest that if she knowingly keeps calling on you, knowing you're not violating any laws, perhaps the deputy might speak with her on the fact that while shooting on your own property is lawful, false informing is not.

As for something in print, the burden is upon her to provide that. There is no law that says you can't wear a bright red shirt to a funeral on Sunday, either.

On the other hand, has said b**** ever fired a firearm before? Her complaints may be about the noise, or they may be about her fear of scary guns. You might consider inviting her over to shoot sometime and teaching her about firearm safety while showing her the precautions you take to ensure the only things hit by your flying lead are paper targets, aluminum cans, or those "watermelon tangos". The b**** might just become a convert and give you another range to shoot on-hers!

Blessings,
    B

Excellent response and my view as well.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Talked to a cop friend of mine today and he said as long as we arnt in town, and the area is safe to shoot then we are fine. He said even if we get a complaint all we have to do is stop for the day, and continue the next :)

So every time you start shooting your (presumed) neighbor calls law enforcement and they come out and tell you to stop shooting - and you do. Yeah, that sure seems like a great solution. NOT !

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks for all the input guys,

Part of the problem is we live in a development with a Brownsburg address and some seem to think that we follow the Burgs ordinances. We have had the sheriff/FD called for our fire pit, in the Burg you need a permit for burning, but not in Hendricks county.

Brownsburg 'proper' has this on the books-

I don't live within the town limits so this is not a problem until the idiots annex us.

As far as inviting her, I would love to, with any other person. This thing isn't human:n00b:

Does that eliminate use of a firearm for self defense ?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It took me 11 yrs to catch up with this tread. Well technically 10 yrs. I didn’t join until ‘09.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Are we even sure the same ordinance is still in effect?

This thread pre-dates the 2011 preemption.

976294d1427459062-old-thread-resurrection-sjpfklb.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom