• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Hello everyone, its been years since I've been here so i'm hoping i'm not violating any rules.

I just bought my son (9yrs old) an AR-7. This is a very special gift as we will be revealing to him that he's going to be a big brother. This is a gift that he can share with his sibling.

What aftermarket parts would you suggest? Scope, Sling, Extra mag?, Laser sight, BiPod, etc.

This will be his 1st 22lr rifle so we're trying to make it special since he's reaching double-digits. I want to continue to teach him gun etiquette, and maybe he can also use our time as father and son and teach his brother/sister in the future.

thx!

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I don't see many aftermarket goods out there for the AR7s. Most that are out there are homemade. For sure pick up an extra magazine or two.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    they made a bunch of stuff in the 80's.. i remember a book, the ar-7 exotic weapons system, one of those cheezy books sold in the back of soldier of fortune or at gun shows..lol.
    lots of screw on accessories like barrel shrouds, sliding wire stocks, scope mounts, etc. The Israelis even made a ar-7 based pilots survival rifle. The original ar-7 from armalite was first produced in 1959, so there's been plenty of time to produce just about everything for one..lol.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Those are neat guns! The wrist of the gun might be slightly big for a kid, as I remember mine, I thought is was for me. I agree with HK, extended mags...Is this the newer one from Henry, those have 2 mags that fit in the stock, IIRC the original only came with one..good luck, and great job getting a young 'un started shooting, and congrats for the new baby!

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Once you start accessorizing one, aren't you kind of defeating the purpose (being a "self-storing" rifle)? I'm thinking if you're going to be scoping one and whatnot, maybe something like a 10/22 (maybe a takedown model) would be more practical.

This is what makes sense to me. If you want a fun .22 that can be customized, get a 10/22.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Just adding my agreement, stock is generally best with these. I do like how the newer Henry guns allow three mags total in the stock. As a lefty rifle shooter, the offset of the receiver to the stock works in my favor. Mine is surprisingly accurate with 60 gr Aguila SSS rounds.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of an AR-7 that it's an easily stowed away survival gun? I'm thinking if you wanted "tacticool" maybe something more along the lines of an M&P 22, or even a 10/22 would fit the bill better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of an AR-7 that it's an easily stowed away survival gun? I'm thinking if you wanted "tacticool" maybe something more along the lines of an M&P 22, or even a 10/22 would fit the bill better.

Exactly. And it's pretty much waterproof when stowed away in its stock. I specifically got mine so I could throw it under one of the seats in my pontoon boat when I go camping and not be overly concerned if it got a little water in there. Allegedly they will even float, but I won't be trying that out (at least on purpose - I mean that would kinda defeat the purpose of "boating accident" ;)).

Top Bottom