• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I was thinking about picking up a Henry AR-7 at the 1500 this weekend if I could find one, I didn't know if any of you guys have shot these rifles before and how the compared to Ruger 10/22. I know they are not the same as far as tactical ability is concerned but is the accuracy and craftsmanship similar.

Just looking for some opinions on the rifle.

Thanks,

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I had one by ArmaLite and one by Charter Arms. Both were junk. Terrible trigger, cheap flaky finish, not super accurate and uncomfortable to shoot (loooong length of pull buttstock and no fore end). And both were jam-o-matics.

I handled the Henry version and it was basically the same thing but with a better finish.
    The 10/22 has way better quality and reliability.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    My old Charter Arms one worked fine for years until a firing pin broke, a new firing pin and it still works fine. Some of the new versions have plastic over a steel liner for barrels and have seen hit and miss reliability. Would be a gun to strongly consider picking up from someone that would stand behind what they sell (if you can find anyone for items in this price range).

Have to agree with Treetop that the 10/22 is a better option for a shooter.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    FWIW, i've never seen anything good about these rifles, I remember reading somewhere, somebody had a problem with theirs and called henry, got to talk to the owner, and even he said they arent very good

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I owned an AR-7 for a while (I think it was a Henry, but it has been a few years). It was finicky about ammunition and liked to be clean/well oiled. Accuracy wasn't great compared to other .22 semi's - not sure if it was because of the rough sights, the heavy trigger, the light-weight whippy barrel or something else altogether.

The AR-7 has some practical benefits. It's cheap, breaks down to store in the stock, and floats. If you need a gun that fits those requirements get it. If you want a reliable, accurate gun that will serve you for decades, I'd look elsewhere.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I saw a Henry AR7 at my local shop last week. It was so cheezy it looked like a toy (not to insult toys) orange plastic front sight and all. It is not even in the same league as a 10/22 or any other 22 rifle that I have ever seen.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I saw a Henry AR7 at my local shop last week. It was so cheezy it looked like a toy (not to insult toys) orange plastic front sight and all. It is not even in the same league as a 10/22 or any other 22 rifle that I have ever seen.

All things that are very true.

It's not intended to be an every day shooter. It's a breakdown SURVIVAL rifle. There's absolutely no comparison to a semi-automatic rimfire rifle of average construction. On the other hand, there aren't too many rimfire rifles that tear down and fit into the buttstock for SHTF storage.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a Charter and like it - but definitely consider that it's not built with the same goals as the 10/22.

Downsides: It's picky on ammo, bolt doesn't lock open, difficult to fully strip for cleaning, not super rugged construction.

Upsides: It's light/compact/easy to have with you, inexpensive, quick to assemble/disassemble, accurate (or at least mine is), fun and easy to shoot (like any .22).

If you're looking to spend more money on a nicer take-down, maybe consider the Marlin Papoose. It doesn't all store in the stock like the AR-7, but it's more comparable to a 10/22.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Like the idea but hate the firearm

I like the ideal behind the AR-7 but have never heard anything good about them. I spent the money and built a 10/22 into a pack rifle. A little expensive but I know it will function reliably and I can use 25 rd magazines.Not trying to Hi jack but I have posted pics in another thread of what I have built. The stock folded up and reciever ar about 11 inches long and the barrel is about 16 1/2 inches long.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had the original AR-7 and have one of the current models by Henry. Except for the barrel, they're pretty much the same. No, it's not a 10/22 or even a Remington Nylon 66, but it fulfills its purpose: a compact .22 rifle that can be stored in a daypack or BOB.

Top Bottom