• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    OK so I was looking for a leave in the car rifle of sorts, thought about a hi point or kel tec carbine in 40 and then I remembered this little gem i used to swoon after all the time. So I know at least 5 or 6 of you have one and 2 or 3 of you have shot it enough to offer an educated opinion. Maybe even one of you wants to let one go. So tell me everything I absolutely need to know.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll start by saying that I don't own one and I've never shot one. But everything I've ever heard about them is that they are either hit or miss, mostly miss. You are much better off to get something else. I think the Marlin papoose ends up popping up into a lot of "survival rifle" discussions. The only thing that the papoose doesn't have is the barrel doesn't store away into the stock. IMHO I would much rather have a reliable functioning rifle than one that isn't reliable but looks cool when the barrel hides in the stock.

ETA, you can really open up the doors a lot if it doesn't have to break down. For a non-breakdown rifle that is still fairly compact look at a CZ452 Scout.

For lots of reading on survival .22 rifles look here:Looking to buy a survival .22 rifle - AR15.COM

ETAII, For the non-breakdown rifles you can still get folding stocks for some of the more popular models like the 10/22 etc and that will keep the OAL when folded very short yet.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I inquired about this rifle on another board and I hesitated after hearing they can't take tons or rounds and the barrels weren't too heavy duty. Idk if this is totally true. The barrels are super thin and actually coated with plastic on the outside. I realize this rifle is by design a "survival" rifle, and maybe shouldn't be expected to take thousands of rounds down the tube, but I would feel better knowing it could. Hopefully someone can chime in who has more experience with the rifle!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I understand it is carbon fibre with a steel insert, not like were talking a 50bmg here. I also noticed that henry has gotten very proud of their little rifle based on its price I can get a lever action 18.5 inch barrel with an 18 round capacity for cheaper.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    My son and I both own one. My son has had no trouble with his, though mine has way more use than his. With that said, mine has been sent back to the factory twice for repair. First time right after I bought it, Would jam almost on every shot. Second time gun would go full auto and then not fire at all. The last trip Henry repaired it they also replaced the butt stock cover (which was cracked) for free and gun shoots great. Only time and rounds fired will tell if it keeps working or not.

With all that said, customer service is great. Turn around time for repairs was only about 10 days.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK so I was looking for a leave in the car rifle of sorts, thought about a hi point or kel tec carbine in 40 and then I remembered this little gem i used to swoon after all the time. So I know at least 5 or 6 of you have one and 2 or 3 of you have shot it enough to offer an educated opinion. Maybe even one of you wants to let one go. So tell me everything I absolutely need to know.

I picked one up this spring and put about 100 rounds through it without any problems. I was shooting indoors at 50 feet and I had one ragged hole, dead center on the target. It is broken down and packed in my BOB along with 500 rounds of ammo. I don't have any problems with the design or materials. I didn't buy it for target shooting. I bought it for an emergecy weapon to be stored until needed.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I had one years ago, I don't think it ever worked well. It rarely was able to go through a full magazine with out it jamming atleat once. But that was a while back so maybe they have improved since then, but it looks tha same.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought one at a good price at the 1500. I took it to the range with a couple of different types of ammo.

It works best with high velocity 22s. It works best lubricated liberally. For bulk ammo, Remington golden bullet works well along with Thunderbolt. Check to make sure the barrel nut is tightened as that can come loose once it warms up. Federal 22 sucked. It had very uneven loading and would FTE once in awhile.

I have had not trouble with mine once I found ammo that was consistent. What a cool gun that fits in my backpack.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't own and have never shot one. About a year ago the cheif of police in town wanted one for coon hunting. I saw him two weeks ago when I renewed my LTCH, he told me he finally bought one and sold it because he couldn't hit the side of a barn with it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Its a survival rifle, not a high volume plinker. I have one with a steel barrel from AR-7 and it really helps the accuracy, well worth the cash if you want to shoot the gun more than a mag at a time. But remember its a survival rifle, and not ment to be shot on the same level as a 10/22 or such.....

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    A guy at a gun shop, also a Henry dealer, said that some of the old AR 7's had issues with the stocks swelling or something, making loading the rifle parts into the stock difficult? Any truth to this?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    A guy at a gun shop, also a Henry dealer, said that some of the old AR 7's had issues with the stocks swelling or something, making loading the rifle parts into the stock difficult? Any truth to this?
    I have a couple of them. One is a year or two old the other is quite a bit older. (Not sure how old I bought it used.) The older one is a tight fit getting the parts back in the stock.
    I like mine shoots just fine. As others have said it's not meant to be a high volume gun. I found it can be finicky on what type of ammo it shoots. I had a problem with one of the mags. I called customer service told them I thought it was a bad mag. The lady told me no problem and shipped me two mags for my one bad mag. Told me to pitch the bad mag they didn't care to get it back. I was very pleased with the customer service.
    Knowing what the gun was designed for and using it within those limits should make for a happy customer.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I had one (Henry survival rifle) until about a week or 2 ago. I loved it! i just didn't shoot it that much and needed the money more than I needed another rifle in the safe. Once I figured out what ammo it liked to eat it was flawless. I could keep a can hopping at 40 yards with it. The newer Henry survival rifles have what looks like a rail on the top to make mounting a scope easier. Do a Google image search for ar7 along with after market modifications. There are some pretty cool ways to make this rifle look.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I had one (Henry survival rifle) until about a week or 2 ago. I loved it! i just didn't shoot it that much and needed the money more than I needed another rifle in the safe. Once I figured out what ammo it liked to eat it was flawless. I could keep a can hopping at 40 yards with it. The newer Henry survival rifles have what looks like a rail on the top to make mounting a scope easier. Do a Google image search for ar7 along with after market modifications. There are some pretty cool ways to make this rifle look.

gee wish i would have posted this before christmas :(

with the price most of these recommendations are going for I may end up just getting the kel tec or high point anyway.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    It has come to my attention that my current project gun almost completely suits my needs although it is only a single shot.. HERE SHE IS BOYS AND GALS
    5412431867_50979738c4_b.jpg

Stevens Arms & Tool Company lever action single shot 22 LR

Top Bottom