• ...and so much more!
  • Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I would go .22 or 44 mag. .22 wouldn’t be good for deer, but it’s fun for squirrels or rabbit. And 44 mag would be good for deer. They are both fun to shoot, but if it goes bang, it’s usually fun to shoot

The squirrels around here that raid my bird feeders would beg to differ. They do not find my Golden Boy to be fun at all :lmfao:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't own a Henry right now. Kind of interested in the .308 Long Ranger for... reasons. Hell Yeah, that's it. Reasons! (I have several levers in pistol cal, .22, 45/70 and 30/40 Krag already.)

If you are interested in it from a "history" kind of perspective, consider the 44LC, I guess. Can't go wrong with any of the pistol cal recs, though.

Were I getting a Henry, outside of the one I mentioned above, I'd be looking at the brass-look models.

YMMV

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got the big boy in .45 colt mostly because I had a Blackhawk in the same caliber.
    It is a nice caliber for reloading.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've got an old school Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Rossi M92 in 357 Magnum.

This will be my next lever gun, in 44 Magnum. Not a big "optics" guy on a lever gun, but this one may call for a micro red dot.

[video=youtube;eD2NTvrgS4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2NTvrgS4A[/video]

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    :+1: for the pistol calibers. The 357 gives you some flexibility with ammo (pretty important, right now). It is a hoot to fire and will be pleasant for just about any shooter. The 44 is a great option too! God bless Santa!
    Good reasons here^

Leverboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Indianapolis
    My vote for a Henry always goes to 45-70 because it's such a pleasure to shoot. I believe you would have to find an older model H010B for the octagonal barrel.

2ndamendlover1

Shooter
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Lets say Santa may want to get someone a Henry rifle for Christmas. This person has always wanted a Henry. To be honest, more for the looks and the history than any other valid reason. This is a WANT, not a need. The Golden Boy series is high on the list, so is an octagonal barrel. Again, for no reason other than its sorta cool. He would likely use it for deer hunting in Indiana. It would not be JUST for looks to hang on a wall. Not looking at any of the commemorative issues. What caliber should Santa be looking at? Why? All helpful input appreciated. Thanks.
    44 magnum a
    Is great caliber to look at especially for deer hunting its legal on both public and private!

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    OK, Santa came late... With the 45-70 Gov't, lever action. (See below. Not a pro photog. I/m sure it could have been framed and posed better.) I want to thank all of you for your input and your experiences. New problem... buying 45-70 ammo. Yes, some of you mentioned this concern during the selection process. I did not ignore your input, I understand this is not the best time to find a new caliber. In looking online, I see 45-70 ammo and 45-70 Gov't. Is there a difference or is this just how different sellers market this product? Can I shoot either? Both? Just 45-70 Gov't? And once that is answered, do you have any suggestions for brand or type? And the big one... anyone know where I can buy some? (w/o needing a second mortgage).

Attachments

• 20210308_051346.jpg
      20210308_051346.jpg
      7.5 MB · Views: 5

Leverboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Just different names for the same round. Where to get it, that I don't know. I happened to find 3 or 4 boxes laying around over the last year at gun ranges and grabbed them. If I see any, I'll let you know. Nice looking rifle!

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Just different names for the same round. Where to get it, that I don't know. I happened to find 3 or 4 boxes laying around over the last year at gun ranges and grabbed them. If I see any, I'll let you know. Nice looking rifle!
    Thanks for the info and for the "look-out". It is a nice gun and thank god for Cabela's points.

Top Bottom