• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    There is a back road that will take you right to it, don't know the road number but it will be easy to find it on a map and go right to it.

Careful, lots of stupid people there shooting, don't know about signing in, guessing you still have to go into the park entrance to sign in then drive all the way around to shoot.

Also keep in mind the range is closed on Sundays unless you are LEO.

TSL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I know you can go in the back way from Brownstown Rd, but it's closed too. I was hoping there might be another way. I figure if there is not many people know about it so shouldn't be much of a crowd.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Continue past brownstown rd on 31N till you enter Underwood. Make a left onto county line rd. Stay on county line rd till you come to a T. Make left onto boatman rd and continue till you come to a 4-way. There's a little country church on the corner. Make a left at that 4-way, backroad to gun range is ~2 miles on the right.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I'm going to tag on another question. At one time I thought someone posted they were now charging a fee. Is there a fee that needs to be paid to use the range? I got a new gun that I want to go shoot.

TSL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I'm going to tag on another question. At one time I thought someone posted they were now charging a fee. Is there a fee that needs to be paid to use the range? I got a new gun that I want to go shoot.
    I don't believe they are, but haven't had a chance to get out there lately.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I went Thursday. Right now you have to get a permit from the office but its free till the first of the year. After January 1 you have to pay $5 per day or you can buy a year pass for $25.

TSL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Which way did you go in? Are they done with construction now? Unless they have a range officer on duty, I wonder how they will enforce the fee. I really don't mind the fee if it keeps it open, but what stops people from shooting without paying?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Which way did you go in? Are they done with construction now? Unless they have a range officer on duty, I wonder how they will enforce the fee. I really don't mind the fee if it keeps it open, but what stops people from shooting without paying?

I see there is a new bridge but I don't think it is finished/open yet so I am pretty sure you are going to have to take the long back road, don't forget to get in the main entrance first though and sign in.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I took 31 north to Underwood and crossed over I-65 then took the first left that brought me back down to Brownsboro and came into the range off Pounds lane. The lady at the office also gave me a detour route where they had opened a small connector road off 160 that took you up past the fire tower and back to the range.

The Hebron Church bridge was reopened Thursday afternoon. Brownstown road will be closed for several more months as they build new bridges on I-65 over Brownstown.

I don't know their plans for enforcement, but at $25 a year I don't plan to find out. Not sure what happens if your their shooting and an officer does show up the check for permits. Not sure if they can fine you and if so how much. With going to permits I do wish they would put a sign in/sign out box at the range. Not sure why it needs to be at the office, especially if it not during their normal office hours.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Sign into range at the Forest Office, go back out onto US31 south, right turn onto Highway 160 West for a couple miles, right turn on Casey Rd, immediate right into Beech Rd, follow the signs to the range. Drive slowly as Beech Rd is basically one and a half lanes wide.

I wish they would allow permitted people to go to the range directly without signing in at the forest office...but I'll be honest, I've seen quite enough unsafe stupidity there that I'm glad they are making at least some effort to know who is going there. I'm happy to pay $25/yr as it may discourage some of the morons from going there and provide a little revenue to make needed improvements.

Many times there is a CO parked there who will ask you if you have signed in (at least there was pre-permit), and if not, he has the discretion to make you go back and sign in or even fine you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was just thinking about maybe making a trip out there one of these mornings, but I haven't been out that way in several months. Is the construction pretty much done? Any recent rule changes that would be good to know? I assume the fee is in place now.

Top Bottom