• ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Yep those were the words I heard after "do you have a permit for that?"

So there I was in Speedway on West st downtown, getting a hotdog and Monster Mean Bean(yum) when in walks IMPD(won't bash the officer) comes up and asks quietly if I have my permit to which I said yes and showed it to him. He starts to tell me that we have a conceal carry policy in Indiana to which I promptly told him "no we don't IC is silent on the matter" I showed him the License to Carry Handgun on the top and informed him that I had a couple copies of the code in my car if he wanted one to look through. He politely said no and then went into the same tired argument about how people are gonna be afraid, and we get MWAG calls and the same old argument we have here,( at this point i asked another customer if my firearm bothered them, to which the answer was no) I told the officer "that isn't my concern as I am not doing anything illegal, am I being detained?" "No" he says, so I shook his hand said thanks for the conversation and started to leave , but apparently he wanted to have more conversation about "what if" so I informed him about INGO and the OC/CC argument that can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html(just in case the officer decided to join us.)

Anyways I was not happy about being told we are a CC state so I will be dropping a letter in the inbox of IMPD to inform them that they are incorrect on the policy, so -1 for that but the officer was very polite and even said that "I stand corrected" on the CC issue about half way through our conversation, so +1/2 for that.

*I don't care if you prefer CC for this reason the link is above if you wanna argue about it*

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wwwweeeellll, before SB292 he would have been correct in Speedway.:D

Hey, an IMPD run in where you did not get a gun waved in your face, sounds like a win to me!:yesway:

Anyways I was not happy about being told we are a CC state

Heckler's veto.

It would be interesting to know if this is an internal policy, or something they push at roll call or whatever, or just an internal meme.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Yep those were the words I heard after "do you have a permit for that?"

So there I was in Speedway on West st downtown, getting a hotdog and Monster Mean Bean(yum) when in walks IMPD(won't bash the officer) comes up and asks quietly if I have my permit to which I said yes and showed it to him. He starts to tell me that we have a conceal carry policy in Indiana to which I promptly told him "no we don't IC is silent on the matter" I showed him the License to Carry Handgun on the top and informed him that I had a couple copies of the code in my car if he wanted one to look through. He politely said no and then went into the same tired argument about how people are gonna be afraid, and we get MWAG calls and the same old argument we have here,( at this point i asked another customer if my firearm bothered them, to which the answer was no) I told the officer "that isn't my concern as I am not doing anything illegal, am I being detained?" "No" he says, so I shook his hand said thanks for the conversation and started to leave , but apparently he wanted to have more conversation about "what if" so I informed him about INGO and the OC/CC argument that can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html(just in case the officer decided to join us.)

Anyways I was not happy about being told we are a CC state so I will be dropping a letter in the inbox of IMPD to inform them that they are incorrect on the policy, so -1 for that but the officer was very polite and even said that "I stand corrected" on the CC issue about half way through our conversation, so +1/2 for that.

*I don't care if you prefer CC for this reason the link is above if you wanna argue about it*

It's funny, when I read that all I felt was jealously on the great lunch you had. Does that make me strange? :dunno: :D

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The problem isn't from the rank and file cops, as much as it is with the department's leadership that spew, or allow the misinformation to be continued.

A few years ago, Beech Grove P.D.'s departmental attorney informed its officers that a LTCH didn't mean that a round could be carried in a chamber.

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wwwweeeellll, before SB292 he would have been correct in Speedway.:D

Hey, an IMPD run in where you did not get a gun waved in your face, sounds like a win to me!:yesway:

Heckler's veto.

It would be interesting to know if this is an internal policy, or something they push at roll call or whatever, or just an internal meme.

Actually the Speedway law said you had to open carry.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I understand there are training bulletins coming to the department to address this issue.

GOOD...it seems they are religious about harrassing law abiding citizens from what I and those I know have observed

Had I not been 18-19 at the time, I would have filed a lawsuit several years ago when I was OC'ing and harrassed by 7 of them had I been smart enough to obtain identification from all of them. Of course there were Speedway, IPD, and Clermont all in the mix. Since, I have heard from various people including several department employees that this area (northwest district) is particularly ignorant and "harsh" in these matters.

Top Bottom