• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've never used a 6 cavity mold so I cannot help you there but because you usually have to pause before opening the mold so the lead can harden, I often run two, two cavity molds at the same time like .357 and .45 or .44 and 10mm or what ever I happen to need that way there is no wasted time waiting and believe me they pile up fast.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I like 4-cavity molds.
    Any Lee aluminum mold will require a hotter alloy temperature and casting at a higher speed as the aluminum cools quickly.
    If you are running iron molds, you can often cast two molds during the same session. With aluminum molds, I found that I was best just casting with that one mold so I bought 6-cavity molds.
    Be sure you are using a bottom pour pot and that the mold will fit under it.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    6 cavity all day. I cast alot of 40s and quite a few 9mm with lee 6 cavity molds. and I use a laddle. I have an older lyman bottom pour and the lees will not work with it. And I am never waiting. after you do it for awhile you will get a feel for the speed you can go.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Oh yeah 6 cavity is the only way to go, I'm using Lees in 9mm, 38, 45 and love them. Preheat them and you are casting good bullets from the first drop. When you are done with them put them away, no oiling or having to clean them up before using them again.

I use an old Lyman bottom pour and works great for me.

I do have several 2 cavity and a couple of old single cavity that keep for small lots of special stuff.

To the OP, you can't go wrong either way, 6 cavity is speed more than anything. I can rip through 1000 rounds of 9mm on a weekend so I need to be able to cast up enough to keep up, my 357 on the other hand I may shoot 100 rounds a year so the two cavity works fine for what I use in it.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I LOVE my Lee 6 cavity molds. You might get a stinker now and then, but Lee will replace/repair them at no charge. Over at the cast boolit forums, there are stickies on "lee-menting" funky molds.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've ran two cavity molds and a 10 pound pot for a couple years now. It's worked, but I am ready to "upgrade" to a 20 pound bottom pour and six cavity molds. If I had to do it again, I would have done this from the beginning.

I have one Lee HP 158 gr, .358 single cavity mold- SLOOOWWW- it hardly ever gets used.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    single cavity Thompson Contender mold for my muzzleloader

double cavity for my .38spl since I don't shoot alot of those

double cavity round ball for black powder pistols

six cavity for 9mm, .40 and .45 since those get more rounds down range

I've experimented with tumble lube/alox and JP wax vs lube groove molds and much prefer the lube grooves. I used to pan lube these but finally purchased a Lyman 450 lubrasizer with a Lyman heater and use Carnuba Red lube. Smoke and leading is nearly non existent.

White Label Lube

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Depends on the intention. I only cast for my revolvers, and for them, I use two sets of handles, each with a single cavity mold, filled by ladle. I am also very picky about my casts... Especially when it comes to the bubble. I have found with the ladle and single cavity QC and production of a fine bullet are at their best. I also cast 100-200 twice a week so I always have them on hand.

Jarel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I use lots of Lee 6 cavity molds. Love them. They weigh less than a iron 2 cavity. As to getting too hot I have a shallow pan next to my furnace with a old sponge in it and not the foam kind. fill the pan with water and let the sponge soak it up. Then every 5 or 6 throws of the mold I set the bottom of the mold for a few seconds on the sponge. It will steam and hiss but has never hurt any of my molds. By doing this I can cast as fast as I can with 1-6 cavity. I also drop all my bullets from the mold in a 5 gal. bucket with a couple gallons of water in it. This is a cheap way to get another BHN number in hardness.

Top Bottom