• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Kinda got the bug to do some hunting with a handgun. The only "hangun" I currently have is a Ruger 22 Charger. What do you all use? I would also shoot it recreationally as well. Really not wanting to get a semi auto right now so I guess I am going to look for a revolver or single shot.

Anybody have any experience with the Rossi Single Shot pistols? What about Contender or Encore pistols?

For a revolver, I would probably be stuck on a .357 in a Ruger......maybe a Taurus.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Charger, Single Sixes in 22 and 17HMR for squirrels and rabbits, 357 and 44 Blackhawks for deer and coyotes, BFR's for hogs, black bears, rabid chipmunks, etc.

Lots of good models out there, try them all!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    One contender and many barels is all you realy need to handgun hunt. It is more like a mini rifle than a handgun. I call it the handcannon.

A .223 barrel for woodchucks coyotes, a 7-30 waters for deer, a 22 rimrife for fun and practice. I single good pistol scope like a burris 2-7x28 or a 4 power fixed and a quick release rings will help spread the scope love accross the barrels.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I use a S&W 657 which is a 41 magnum with a 2x scope and S&W 686 which is a 357 mag. I also like the Ruger single six with the 22lr and 22 mag cylinder for a rimfire.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ive hunted my whole life, but ive never heard of pistol season. How does one go about doing this legally?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If you're talking about deer hunting you can use a pistol in several calibers with at least a 4" barrel length or a rifle that shoots one of the approved pistol calibers. Some popular calibers are: 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Long Colt, 454 causul? And you can use these during firearm season(shotgun season).

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    so im guessing 9mm .40 and .45 are not on that list of approved calibers?

2010-2011 Regulation:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet
    of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a
    minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
    have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches
    are legal to use only during the deer firearm​
    season.

They have partial list of what meets the regulations and what does not on page 8 :

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

I have not seen the final regulations for the 2011-2012 season.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Unclear on the concept

2010-2011 Regulation:

They have partial list of what meets the regulations and what does not on page 8 :

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

I have not seen the final regulations for the 2011-2012 season.

I thought the discussion was about pistol hunting, not pistol calibers that are legal in rifles.

I use a Contender in .35 Remington for deer. I also have a 14" bbl in .22 Hornet and .22LR for varmints and squirrels. And a 15" custom .223 from MGM, threaded for flash hider. All scoped.
    The several Ruger MKs I have get utilized on occasion as well as the S&W model 41. Pistols are a challenge. A rest is a big plus.
    For deer the IN regs have a min caliber restriction that excludes 9MM, .40 S&W, .45 ACP. .357 mag is about minimum IIRC.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    How does your 35 rem do on deer? Is the recoil managable? What range would it be effective to on deer? Would a 35 rem be good for hogs too or would it be best to go with a 44 mag? Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 35 rem in a 14 inch contender is fine for deer. I can hit a milk jug at 160 yards with most of my ammo and hardly ever get to shoot at deer that far out. That is something most people can't do with a 44 mag contender.

I have found that the 150 grain bullets are the best at carrying the full range of the cartridge with the least drop at distance. The 180 SSP (single shot pistol bullet ) works well for being a higher weight, the 200 grainers would work well on PIGS or bear a little closer. The recoil is not brutal but it is not for someone who has not seasoned themselves up to muzzle blast and noise. It can cause flinching. The fireball at dusk and dawn is substantial.

I have found the 7-30 waters. It is a 30-30 necked down to 7mm. It is now my preference in the contender for deer. Better wider selection of bullets, a little higher velocity and very good accuracy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The contender in 35 rem was my go to setup for deer for years. I switched over to a pistol about when the rules changed to allow them in deer season. I went from a smooth bore slug gun to a handcannon. I years later ended up with a 12 guage hasting fully rifled barrel for a slug gun,

My range with a smoothbore was about 3 inches at 60 yards. then the handgun I went to 3 inchs at 160 yards. the sluggun with hornady SST's will do 4 inches at 200.
    I was chasing distance all that time. I have been deer hunting since 1976 and the farthest I have killed a deer was just over 100 yards with a 44 mag rifle.

DSC00243.jpg

This one or the second get the call on nice fall afternoons scouting for deer in tree rat season.

DSCN0504.jpg

DSC03077.jpg

I now shoot the 7-30 waters round in a 14 inch contender (I still have the 35 rem also) It is a 30-30 necked down to 7mm. I get a flatter shot, better selection of ammo, and i see no real life difference in knock down power.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .44 Mag if you don't reload. I'd fancy a scoped Ruger Redhawk Hunter. Or a Blackhawk if you prefer single action. .41 Mag pretty much does the same thing.

I like the .45 Colt so my deer hunting handgun is a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

.45 Colt will work just as well as the .44 Mag, and a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley Blackhawk would fit the bill.

I'd take the .45 Colt over the .357 Magnum.

In a single shot you can have about whatever you want, but for me it would be a 7-30 Waters or .35 Remington. Both are proven deer calibers. I've shot a few rounds through my buddy's 14" .35 Rem and recoil-wise it feels a lot like the .454 Casull

I don't see much advantage to the .460 S&W Mag over the .454 unless you are using the pointy Barnes bullets. Yes, the 300gr XTP in a .454 out does the 200gr FTX in the .460 IMHO. And the .454 is already "overkill" on deer.

You can go even higher, to the .475 and .500 caliber, but for whitetail it's just not needed.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I thought the discussion was about pistol hunting, not pistol calibers that are legal in rifles.

I use a Contender in .35 Remington for deer. I also have a 14" bbl in .22 Hornet and .22LR for varmints and squirrels. And a 15" custom .223 from MGM, threaded for flash hider. All scoped.
    The several Ruger MKs I have get utilized on occasion as well as the S&W model 41. Pistols are a challenge. A rest is a big plus.
    For deer the IN regs have a min caliber restriction that excludes 9MM, .40 S&W, .45 ACP. .357 mag is about minimum IIRC.

Yes I put the wrong quote in. Should be:

Handguns for deer hunting:
    Handguns,
    other than muzzle loading, must have a
    barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire
    a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The
    handgun cartridge case, without the bullet,
    must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full

With a partial list still on page 8 as my previous link.

Top Bottom