• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just ran across this on Facebook. Seems bogus to me. Any of you medical types know of any HIPPA regs that would actually prevent the parent, who I think is required to be present because the minor cant make decisions, from being allowed back?

And WTF would OSHA have to do with a medical exam?

10603789_720302071352772_5821755243088029498_n.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sorry, I'm a lateral professional, you need to talk to my partner who specialized in the medial side.

On a serious note... was this a pediatric dentist's office? I suspect so. Having non-patients and non-employees in a procedure room may be an issue for OSHA, but I don't know.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Last edited:

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    It's a perversion of the law. The part they are trying to comply with doesn't require the parents to be absent so that the child's privacy is protected. It's to protect the privacy of other patients who might be within hearing/sight of the parents. I just received an email on this. Let me see if I can dig it up.

When the Sign Says "No Parents Allowed" - Parentalrights.org - Protecting Children by Empowering Parents 

It's absolute nonsense. If that is their explanation ( to protect the privacy of the patient in the next bay) then each patient is invading the privacy of each other patient.

We encountered this policy at a pediatric dentist's office once. Among other reasons, it turns out they didn't want parents to see how they physically restrained the kids to keep them still to work on. That was our last trip to that office. That wasn't the last we heard about her though. Our regular dentist told us she repeatedly encouraged him to raise his rates so that they could drive up the local usual and customary rates honored by the insurance company. His rates stayed the same.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Most parents give anxiety to their kids at the dentist and do NOT make their kids easier to do procedures on. Sign should say "I'm a professional, you make your kid worse, wait outside"

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's a perversion of the law. The part they are trying to comply with doesn't require the parents to be absent so that the child's privacy is protected. It's to protect the privacy of other patients who might be within hearing/sight of the parents. I just received an email on this. Let me see if I can dig it up.

When the Sign Says "No Parents Allowed" - Parentalrights.org - Protecting Children by Empowering Parents*

Maybe when the HSLDA is done battling gay marriage they can take up HIPPA. :laugh:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've not received any new in-servicing or notifications of the HIPAA laws. I know OSHA regs have changed to meet NATO standards as far as MSDS's are concerned, but no. I call it a twisting of the arm to keep kids and parents from giving each other anxiety. Thankfully our kids dentist is my dentist. He knows if they try this BS I will go elsewhere.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You guys don't get it. Try doing dental work on kids with parents present. The parents make it much, much more difficult. The best thing for the majority of kiddos is to not have parents there.
    I'd fire you immediately. Instead of kicking the parents out, why doesn't the medical professional help the parent help the child.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've seen a smiliar sign before, but I was told that its purpose was to give the child a chance to speak without the parents in case he/she had private issues like birth control or abuse to talk about.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'd fire you immediately. Instead of kicking the parents out, why doesn't the medical professional help the parent help the child.

You wouldn't get the chance to fire me, I wouldn't work on your kid (if I were a pediatric dentist). You can't "help" fear and terror instilled in them by their parents' anxiety and fears. But you can stop it from starting by disallowing the parents to be present.

OP hasn't stated which type of facility this was at, but I'm betting on pediatric dentist. The one my kids go to has the same policy, but they just say "no parents". It works fine. My kids do fine. They bring us back afterwards to review things and answer any questions we have, after the cleanings are done. If a cavity is found or other work needed, that's discussed in a consultation room and then you go back to the waiting room.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You can't "help" fear and terror.
    So much for all the "Take 'em to the range" suggestions.

Sorry, doc. Your argument may be an accurate representation of reality, but your solution sucks. Even if that's the only way to deal with that particular child/parent, it's unacceptable to make it a universal policy for all parents.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's not "my solution", I'm just an observer here. I always allow parents to be present when I do procedures on their kids, but a few times we kick them out if they are nuts and making their kid nuts.
    I hear the backtracking beeps. And contradictions ah-oogas. It's not your solution, but you do it? Okay. Not sure how that works. Face it, you defended the universal application of the rule based on the existence of a few.

Does anyone take their kids to a pediatric dentist who parents to be chairside?
    I do (did, see below). Our pediatric dentist is great and shows me areas where attention is needed when I am there with them. And my presence was critical for keeping the boys calm during their first visits. We've been going for several years now and I no longer go back with them unless the boys ask for me to. They rarely do. I haven't accompanied them the last 2 or 3 times they've gone back. But if they wanted me to, I would. And if I were denied that right, I would leave immediately.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not backtracking, I'm not a dentist. I am discussing dentistry disallowing parent presence. I stated in my own practice I don't have a problem with it but I can still defend the practice others chose to do.

Again: I was responding as if I was a pediatric dentist. I'm not. I do however have a keen insight into what it's like when the parent is in the room for most kids during dental procedures.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You wouldn't get the chance to fire me, I wouldn't work on your kid (if I were a pediatric dentist). You can't "help" fear and terror instilled in them by their parents' anxiety and fears. But you can stop it from starting by disallowing the parents to be present.

OP hasn't stated which type of facility this was at, but I'm betting on pediatric dentist. The one my kids go to has the same policy, but they just say "no parents". It works fine. My kids do fine. They bring us back afterwards to review things and answer any questions we have, after the cleanings are done. If a cavity is found or other work needed, that's discussed in a consultation room and then you go back to the waiting room.
    You edited your reply.

What a childish response. "You can't fire me because I quit."

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You edited your reply.

What a childish response. "You can't fire me because I quit."

I edited before I saw your response.

"childish"? It's not as you put it. It's "I'm the dentist, if you don't like it here you are free to leave". How do you fire someone before they do anything? My comment reflected a lack of engagement because you have said you wouldn't go to a dentist with that policy.

I am so confused. Also didn't plan to argue worthless points with internet people today.

Top Bottom