• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a box of those on my desk at home, I'll post a pic when I get there. I don't know if they'll go through body armor or not, the original purpose was to reduce fouling and airborne lead. Federal reintroduced their nyclads in .38 special a few years ago, but no other chamberings if I remember correctly. S&W offered .38 special, .357 magnum and 9mm nyclads.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    That is not that old a round. You want old, post something old...LOL

Old guys come in different levels depending on your age....LOL

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have a box of those on my desk at home, I'll post a pic when I get there. I don't know if they'll go through body armor or not, the original purpose was to reduce fouling and airborne lead. Federal reintroduced their nyclads in .38 special a few years ago, but no other chamberings if I remember correctly. S&W offered .38 special, .357 magnum and 9mm nyclads.

I think I have a few round of that in .38 in my misc. ammo box. I'll look tonight. I might have shot it up last winter, can't remember. :dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like my Federal Nyclads, only they're .357's. And, as stated they won't go through a vest because of the coating. Wish they'd get back to mass producing them, they made cleaning a lot easier. I'd take some .38's, too. If I can find some.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    It's a Nyclad. I believe they were designed for indoor shooting. The nylon coating was to reduce lead emissions. Last time I shot some of those in .357 mag. was in the early 80's.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Nyclad, I still have some S&W .38 Spl. Nyclads for my J-Frames. Yep, the Brady Bunch made the ridiculous claim about body armor and DuPont got cold feet and refused to sell any of its plastics (Teflon and Nylon) for use in bullet coatings.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry guys, but it is not a nyclad. The Federal nyclad coating over the lead bullet is almost black, it is a very dark blue. I still have several boxes of 9mm 147 nyclads issued to me when I was a member of the local PD.

The cartridge pictured by the insolent young man is a pure plastic bullet used for training. I think that it is primer powered and used for Force on Force live fire training.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Sorry guys, but it is not a nyclad. The Federal nyclad coating over the lead bullet is almost black, it is a very dark blue. I still have several boxes of 9mm 147 nyclads issued to me when I was a member of the local PD.

The cartridge pictured by the insolent young man is a pure plastic bullet used for training. I think that it is primer powered and used for F on F training.

Sorry, youngun, the S&W Nyclads I have are the same color blue and came in a blue S&W box.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Federal made the full power nyclads in 38 Special and 9mm. The S&W blue box stuff is the primer powered blue plastic bullet that the insolent young man is asking about.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Federal made the full power nyclads in 38 Special and 9mm. The S&W blue box stuff is the primer powered blue plastic bullet that the insolent young man is asking about.

Sorry to disagree. I have blue NyClads made by S&W (S&W sold the rights to Federal when they went out of the ammo business). It is NOT powdered plastic. They're +P headstamped, they're blue Nylon over lead. Mid-1980's vintage.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

I have some doubts about that. The cartridges I have look identical to the one the OP has. The box says nothing whatsoever about training. The markings on the back warn against using +p loads in certain firearms. If they were training ammo, they would be boldly labeled as such.
    p8050002u.jpg
    p8050001.jpg
    p8050004.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    S&W Nyclads, later sold by Federal. I've shot both versions... liked 'em in .38, didn't like 'em in 9mm.

And they aren't that old, whippersnapper!!

Top Bottom