• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Anyone use a synthetic 2 stroke oil??? Wanting to go that way, but don't want to go extremely expensive. I usually buy non synthetic by the qt for about $5. I mix my fuel by the 5 gallon can. I have a lot of 2 strokes. So I burn through a lot. I always wondered if there was a difference with Marine 2 stroke oil. I guess there is. Marine oil is for liquid cooled. All my stuff is air cooled. Ideas???

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Anyone use a synthetic 2 stroke oil??? Wanting to go that way, but don't want to go extremely expensive. I usually buy non synthetic by the qt for about $5. I mix my fuel by the 5 gallon can. I have a lot of 2 strokes. So I burn through a lot. I always wondered if there was a difference with Marine 2 stroke oil. I guess there is. Marine oil is for liquid cooled. All my stuff is air cooled. Ideas???

I run 93 octane fuel and stihl silver bottle oil. It's synthetic, for air cooled, and contains fuel stabilizers.

Never had an oil related failure yet.

Fwiw, this question is essentially ford v chevy v dodge...you are gonna get all sorts of opinions.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Are you talking lawn and garden or Dirt bikes? Seems like everyone assumes you were talking lawn and garden.

In my experience as a powersports mechanic for the last 10 years dirt bikes don't care. In fact most two-strokes don't give two craps about what oil is in the gas as long as the oil is in the gas. Yes some burn cleaner and some smell better and some smoke less. But two stroke is two stroke is two stroke. It will burn what ever you give it as long as it is mixed properly. Synthetic oil does burn cleaner, but as easy and as often as you have to rebuild a two stroke engine anyway, your gains will in the long run be minimal if not even negligible.

I use Castor927 oil. Because it smells amazing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you talking lawn and garden or Dirt bikes? Seems like everyone assumes you were talking lawn and garden.

In my experience as a powersports mechanic for the last 10 years dirt bikes don't care. In fact most two-strokes don't give two craps about what oil is in the gas as long as the oil is in the gas. Yes some burn cleaner and some smell better and some smoke less. But two stroke is two stroke is two stroke. It will burn what ever you give it as long as it is mixed properly. Synthetic oil does burn cleaner, but as easy and as often as you have to rebuild a two stroke engine anyway, your gains will in the long run be minimal if not even negligible.

We ran Castor based oil in our street KZ's years ago. It is wonderful to ride behind. Mix that with racing fuel and it is an aphrodisiac......:)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I run valvoline or havoline conventional 2 -cycle oil in my stuff. Never had an issue. I never could justify the extra $$$ for synthetic.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I run 93 octane fuel and stihl silver bottle oil. It's synthetic, for air cooled, and contains fuel stabilizers.

Never had an oil related failure yet.

Fwiw, this question is essentially ford v chevy v dodge...you are gonna get all sorts of opinions.

I have been running (last 5 or 10 years) Quaker state 2 stroke oil. $3.97 a qt at Menards.

I have finally broke down and bought a Stihl chainsaw. When you buy a Stihl now, If you buy a six pack of the Stihl silver synthetic they will double your warranty.

I usually mix my 2 stroke fuel 5 gallons at a time and use it in everything. I have been doing that for about 30 years. That way the fuel does not get old.

Basically a mix. I have 3 Honda 250s, a Yamaha, a couple weed whips, now 3 chainsaws. Probably a few other things.
    All this time I have never had an oil related failure either. I mix the fuel/oil myself. Most of the time I see problems is when guys are mixing it or thinking they did.
    I run valvoline or havoline conventional 2 -cycle oil in my stuff. Never had an issue. I never could justify the extra $$$ for synthetic.

That is what I am thinking. $4 a qt for regular I hate to pay 3-4 times that for little benefit. I have heard people bring up Royal purple before. Just not sure of tossing 5 $2.50? (think that was about what they were) bottles of Stihl oil in a gas can.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Fan of Spectro oils in my built 2 strokes. Had two soft seize with other oils, haven't had an issue with Spectra. Maybe coincidentally, but not gonna experiment unless I have more problems someday. In lawn equipment, I just run Stihl oil

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    For all your lawn and garden equipment you will not find a better Oil that Amsoil Saber stoker oil. Mix it at 100:1 as suggested and you will not have oil related failures.

Some will call BS on the 100:1 but I have ran this at the company I work for and we do not have failures. ZERO. And we have approx 60 power heads in the field.
    AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    For all your lawn and garden equipment you will not find a better Oil that Amsoil Saber stoker oil. Mix it at 100:1 as suggested and you will not have oil related failures.

Some will call BS on the 100:1 but I have ran this at the company I work for and we do not have failures. ZERO. And we have approx 60 power heads in the field.
    AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil

Wow 100 to 1... I would think you could do it, but just makes me nervous thinking about it. I have an old saw around here asking for 16 to 1.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Wow 100 to 1... I would think you could do it, but just makes me nervous thinking about it. I have an old saw around here asking for 16 to 1.

Been running it for 4 or 5 years now. The saw mechanic hate the stuff, we cut his bill 75% from what we was spending on jugs and burnt pistons. Now when we give it to him for an issue, there is nothing left to rebuild. And your looking at service life of 3 to 4 years on saws run every day.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Been running it for 4 or 5 years now. The saw mechanic hate the stuff, we cut his bill 75% from what we was spending on jugs and burnt pistons. Now when we give it to him for an issue, there is nothing left to rebuild. And your looking at service life of 3 to 4 years on saws run every day.

Looks like this stuff is better for the bikes. Mostly that is where the premix goes. AMSOIL DOMINATOR® Synthetic 2-Stroke Racing Oil

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My leaf blower is a Stihl that has what they call a 4 mix engine. Its a 4 stroke that requires oil in the gas. When I was researching the purchase I found that a lot of people were having problems with conventional 2 stroke oil at the recommended 50 to 1 but were having great success with The Amsoil Saber at 100 to 1. Ive been using the Amsoil since new at about 75 to 1 for about 4 years. I use that leaf blower almost year round as it works great on powdery snow.

Top Bottom