• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Has anyone had any experience with these scopes? I was in a local gun shop and they had a used Hi-Lux 7-30x50 for $250. I was looking for a 30mm scope to put on my .308 Remington 700 and it was the only one they had. The glass seemed really clear, and it didn't feel cheap. I know its way more powerful than I need around where I live. I have access to a range that's about 700 yards and I plan on shooting that far and hopefully hitting the target. I've tried researching the scope, but I really didn't find anything useful. I know everyone here is going to tell me to hit up AA optics and get a Vortex, and I was planning on doing that but this scope had me interested and its kinda already mounted on my gun. I'm curious if I made a mistake and should try to sell it.

Thanks

Oh, here's some proof

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wouldn't bother selling it, but its not going to do 700 yards by any stretch of the imagination. First off it has plastic gears so there is no point in trying to dial range with it. Second Leatherwood doesn't even list internal travel that I can find. A educated guess would be that scope has about 30 MOA internal travel, so it wont reach much past 400 yds anyways. If you try and sell it you will be doing well to get 150 bucks out of it, so you mise well keep going with it since you mounted it.

A rule of thumb in optics is there is no such thing as a good spur of the moment decision, and if it sounds to good to be try it is.

Why did you want a 30mm tube? Normally the answer to that question is more internal travel, buying a 7-30 scope is going to kill more internal travel than tube diameter, so I was just curious.

Another thing to consider here is if you have issues with that scope you have absolutely no warranty. Leatherwood only warranties the original owner.

Last edited:

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    That's what I figured... Oh well. I could of sworn I read somewhere the internal adjustment was 60 moa. The reason I wanted a 30mm scope, is because my Seekins rings are 30mm and the other scopes I was looking at/ planning on getting were 30mm. I really wanted a 30mm Vortex Viper but its out of my price range.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    And that's a 30mm tube? I didn't think the 30mm Vipers were that cheap. My 1 inch 4-12x44 Viper PA I bought off of you cost me a little over $400

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    And that's a 30mm tube? I didn't think the 30mm Vipers were that cheap. My 1 inch 4-12x44 Viper PA I bought off of you cost me a little over $400

Yes sir 30mm. They use to be 429, but vortex discontinued them about 4 months ago and I got a great deal buying all remaining inventory so I'm passing it along.

The 4-12 is still 399.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Ok, I hate to do this but I may try to return the scope tomorrow since they were wrong about the internal adjustments and it won't work with my base. If I can return it, you will be getting an email from me tomorrow. How well would that Viper work with a Seekins 20 moa base? I think I read anything above 60 moa internal adjustment it'll work fine.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok, I hate to do this but I may try to return the scope tomorrow since they were wrong about the internal adjustments and it won't work with my base. If I can return it, you will be getting an email from me tomorrow. How well would that Viper work with a Seekins 20 moa base? I think I read anything above 60 moa internal adjustment it'll work fine.

keep in mind I'm guessing on that travel. High zoom scopes like that get very expensive to make with much travel. I'm guessing hi lux does not go to that expense. Vortex is a higher end company and they don't go to that expense. That's why the viper tops out at 20x. It's all kind of a mute point with the plastic internals. They almost never track and you fall back to the no warranty.

The viper will work fine with a 20 moa base and get you to roughly 1100 yds with it through a 308.

Top Bottom