• ...and so much more!
  • Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Hello everyone!!

I'm very green at all this and would like to know what the differences in the Hi Point handguns are.

Example; 9MM, Carbine, 45 ACP, etc....What does it all means?

I'm planning on buying a handgun for home protection, I'm on a fixed income so the price is right. I'm not asking about opinions on how good/bad they are, I already know opinions vary greatly.

I appreciate your input/help :)

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Hello everyone!!

I'm very green at all this and would like to know what the differences in the Hi Point handguns are.

Example; 9MM, Carbine, 45 ACP, etc....What does it all means?

I'm planning on buying a handgun for home protection, I'm on a fixed income so the price is right. I'm not asking about opinions on how good/bad they are, I already know opinions vary greatly.

I appreciate your input/help :)

I think before you purchase anything you should do some reading and maybe find a friend with some experience. If you are seriously asking what those things mean you aren't ready IMO.:dunno:

9mm, .45ACP are cartridge identification... i.e what size "bullet" the weapon will shoot.
    Carbine is a short rifle.

I am in no way trying to belittle you I just want to see a future Gunowner get started on the right foot.:ingo:

Oh by the way :welcome:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks mike for the response!

I'm a 40 Yr old man and believe it or not, I don't know anybody who own guns. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm doing lots of reading on this site and figure peeps will send me in the right direction as far as where to find my answers a lot quicker than reading the entire site.

I appreciate your response and thank you for the welcome!

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thanks mikea for the response!

I'm a 40 Yr old man and believe it or not, I don't know anybody who owns guns. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm doing lots of reading on this site and figure peeps will send me in the right direction as far as where to find my answers a lot quicker than reading the entire site.

I appreciate your response and thank you for the welcome!

Mike is right,

HiPoint sells 2 carbines, one in 9MM and one in .40 cal. and they sell handguns in 4 calibers (.380, 9MM, .40 cal., & .45 ACP.) the .380 and the 9MM are built on the same frame, so unless you can't handle the recoil of 9MM there's no real reason to even consider the .380 due to the un-availability of the ammo. Likewise, the .40 and the .45 are on the same frame, but there is difference in both the weight, cost, and recoil in those two rounds.

Feel free to click on the links in my sig. line for more info. on H/P firearms. I'm sure there'll be other along to give you their opinions as well.

BTW - :welcome: TO :ingo:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Ahhh...Thank you so much for posting Crystalship, I had seen your sig before but hadn't found it since.

I appreciate your input. What would be your pick for a first gun owner as far as the Hi Point lineup?

Thans for the welcome as well!! BTW: Where are all the gun owners from NW Indiana? It seems that most owners are from Central and South Indiana :dunno::D

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Ahhh...Thank you so much for posting Crystalship, I had seen your sig before but hadn't found it since.

I appreciate your input. What would be your pick for a first gun owner as far as the Hi Point lineup?

Thans for the welcome as well!! BTW: Where are all the gun owners from NW Indiana? It seems that most owners are from Central and South Indiana :dunno::D

Well.... that depends. I'd say it depends on the size of your hands, the kind of recoil you find comfortable to deal with and if you would prefer a hand gun or a carbine. I'd say the 9MM handgun or carbine would be good choices right now based on ammo cost and availability, followed by either the .40 handgun or carbine. :dunno:

As far as areas of gun owners I wouldn't even venture a guess on that one!!! ;)

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    What would be your pick for a first gun owner as far as the Hi Point lineup?

I would recommend the 9MM. Seems to be the most reliable, plus 9MM is more readily available and a little cheaper than .380. I also hear the 9MM is quite accurate.

Most of the stories I hear about people not liking hi-points are about the .40 and .45. Plus, the 9MM is a reasonable size, the .40 and .45 are way to big and bulky.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hi-Point handgun:
    HiPointPic.jpg

Hi-Point carbine:
    hipointcarbine.JPG

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Here we are

NWI gunowners are scattered around ...Here and There.:rockwoot:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Well.... that depends. I'd say it depends on the size of your hands, the kind of recoil you find comfortable to deal with and if you would prefer a hand gun or a carbine. I'd say the 9MM handgun or carbine would be good choices right now based on ammo cost and availability, followed by either the .40 handgun or carbine. :dunno:

As far as areas of gun owners I wouldn't even venture a guess on that one!!! ;)

I guess it would be great if I was able to try them out since I have never fired a gun in my life. I need to find a place to maybe take a few classes and fire a gun or two.

Thanks again :)

I would recommend the 9MM. Seems to be the most reliable, plus 9MM is more readily available and a little cheaper than .380. I also hear the 9MM is quite accurate.

Most of the stories I hear about people not liking hi-points are about the .40 and .45. Plus, the 9MM is a reasonable size, the .40 and .45 are way to big and bulky.

Thanks for that!! I'm going to go read a LOT more about them. I feel like an infant when it comes to guns but I guess is never too late to start :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I feel like an infant when it comes to guns but I guess is never too late to start :yesway:

Just remember that no matter how much someone seems to know about guns, we were ALL at the very same point you are now, at some time in our lives.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Wow! Thanks guys for the links and the pics!!

That handgun doesn't look ugly to me, I don't know what other peeps are talking about...lol.

And 2cool......thank God there are some here and there!!

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    There are quite a few of us in NW IN around here. Not as many as down state but I try to spread to word everywhere I go.

I can't help you with the Hi-Point issue as I don't have one.

Look in the group section there is a NW IN group.

Here you go INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana just click on that.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    mikea46996, Thanks for that info....It's great to know I'm not alone in NW Indiana.....I will join that group and hopefully join some of you guys on the next outy.

public servant, Funny you post that....I was just looking at some website where they showed blown up weapons that included many of the most liked and "superior" handguns around. I guess it could happen to the best of them....:dunno:

Last edited:

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    South bend not too far from ya! My buddy had a hi-point .45, an unnecesarily big and ugly weapon if i do say so. However I think a Taurus would be right up your alley and they can be had for not much more than the hi points and much more quality IMO. However, if you are set on a hi point I would recommend the 9mm. Less recoil but still plenty of buck for your home defense. Welcome!!

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    There is nothing superior about a BLOCK!!!

In order of superiority
    XD
    Hi-point
    Block
    :D

You already know I'm new.....That reply went completely over my head :dunno::D

South bend not too far from ya! My buddy had a hi-point .45, an unnecesarily big and ugly weapon if i do say so. However I think a Taurus would be right up your alley and they can be had for not much more than the hi points and much more quality IMO. However, if you are set on a hi point I would recommend the 9mm. Less recoil but still plenty of buck for your home defense. Welcome!!

I'm not 100% set on anything. It's just that I'm on a fixed income and the HI Points fit my budget. I will look for more info on the Taurus you mention, is there a specific model I should be searching for?

For what is worth, I think the picture of the Hi Point handgun posted on this thread doesn't look ugly to me at all....I kinda like it! But then again, some people may find me ugly yet my wife thinks I'm gorgeous :D:D

Top Bottom