• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, if you are extremely low on cash, I could see the appeal of a 9mm. A .380? Not so much. I put around 100 rounds through a 9mm highpoint last summer. The guy had purchased it that day. Not one malfunction, but it was rather ugly.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Not a Hi-Point fan, but I actually have a use for this rifle, not as a boat anchor either. We have a wooden cat house on the front porch with a flat slanted roof. The cats lay on it and there is a food pan up there too. At one time we had over a dozen barn cats that lived on the farm. Opossums would get up there and eat the food, sometimes beside the cats. Sometimes it went okay, other times there would be a fight. The opossums get dispatched whenever they are caught up there. My go to gun for this is a 10/22 with stingers and a red dot sighted in for 10 yards. I can go out the back door and come around the side and stay in the dark for the shot. Get all set on target then make a noise to get the opossum to look up and wait for the flash. Problem is there are usually cats in the mix and sometimes behind the opossum. The 22 doesn't kill the opossum fast enough and they usually flop around and get violent with anything in reach. Anything more powerful can go through the opossum to easily.

At one time I posted a thread here about this and asked about 'cat sneeze' loads for a 38/357 lever action. Since those guns are usually upward of $500 I scrapped the idea. Over penetration was an issue as well. I can't justify that price on a 10 yard gun. I'll keep an eye open for one of these to show up on the used market then try it out. I'm thinking hydra-shocks sound good.

I'm glad Hi-Point read my other thread and made this gun just for my needs.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    For your possum problem, the Liberty 50gr hollow points might be the best choice. They are about the same price as hydra-shocks, but fragment much more violently and penetrate less. I would not recommend them for self-defense, but for varmint eradication, they seem darn near perfect.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    For your possum problem, the Liberty 50gr hollow points might be the best choice. They are about the same price as hydra-shocks, but fragment much more violently and penetrate less. I would not recommend them for self-defense, but for varmint eradication, they seem darn near perfect.

May have to try those if I go that route. The 22 will get the job done, eventually. Problem is even with a head shot they are thrashing and snapping at everything within biting distance for a few minutes, bad for nearby cats. After the first shot I always follow up with a couple more. I won't let them lay there and suffer needlessly. Something a bit heavier but still not overwhelming would work better.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only real benefit I see to this is that if you reload .380, it's about as cheap of a center fire plinker as you could find. With quality .22lr running around $10 per 100 for CCI Mini-mags, this would be cheaper to shoot than a 10/22. I reload .380 for under $5 per fifty and could probably drive the cost lower if I cast bullets.

So, there you go. Hi-Point saw the .22lr ammo market and decided to build a cheap plinking rifle for ammo that can be reloaded.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    If them design and project engineers over at Hi-pito had half a brain, they should introduce carbines in 38 super, 9mm largo or 30 carbine. Why not in 357 max? Come on now. How about making a plastic lever action! What about a plastic 1911 pattern handgun! But if Hi-point wanted to actually make some money, a handgun or carbine in 22 short, long and long rifle will be the way.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Great! A gun that I don't want, in a caliber that I have no interest in. But for under $300... I think someone needs to buy one and put it through a durability test. Not really to prove durability, but just to have fun destroying the ugly thing.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If them design and project engineers over at Hi-pito had half a brain, they should introduce carbines in 38 super, 9mm largo or 30 carbine. Why not in 357 max? Come on now. How about making a plastic lever action! What about a plastic 1911 pattern handgun! But if Hi-point wanted to actually make some money, a handgun or carbine in 22 short, long and long rifle will be the way.

You jest, but a PCC in .38 Super would sell VERY well if it took 1911 mags.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Another answer to an unasked question. I've had my 9mm for years now, $130, and it is still a lot of fun. And yes, I do get a few requests to bring it along.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Made in the USA - What an embarrassment. :xmad:

Really. Ever shot one? They are a great value and having actually owned a 9mm version and shot the .40 version, I can say they are reliable and reasonably accurate. Made in the USA AND a great value, with good customer service.
    Now if the .380 part is the embarrassment, well yes I am with you! Thinking of getting one of the .45's though.

Top Bottom