• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leb1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I own a Hi Point 9mm and I've yet to have a problem with it, it makes a good weapon to keep in the house because for me its real heavy as a ccw but other than that she fires fine.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    For all the HP haters: I'm willing to give you $75 for you HP.

Just doing a public service to get that junk off the streets. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I'm planning on buying a few hi-points in the near future.

When SHTF I figure I could trade a hi-point and a box or 2 of ammo for a tank of gas and food from a convince store/gas station.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would have no problem with buying one, just haven't got around to it yet. I wouldn't use it as a primary defense weapon, as I have several I can count on already, but would certainly buy one if the situation arises.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I might as well post here... I have two a 4095 carbine in 40S&W and a JCP in 40 S&W. Yes very heavy, but that also helps with the recoil. I have had zero issues with both of mine. As far as holsters I got a Fobus holster with adjustable retention, less then 30 bucks, love it! I can't wait for the TS stock to come out for my 4095 they look so much better!

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have never shot or owned one. I am thinking of buying one from my cousin here soon. He needs the money and I figure why not its only a little over $100. I have heard alot of good things about despite their cheap looks and low price.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    After 2500 rounds, the firing pin on my glock looks new. :dunno:

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    He probably didn't, but why not save some extra cash and buy something better? I am all about being frugal, but I always buy quality.

I mean, it shouldn't take that much longer to save for something better. $169 ----> $500 for something better. That is a delta of $331 which is roughly $41 a week for 8 weeks.

If you can't wait 8 weeks then maybe there is an immediate gratification problem. Further, if the $41 a week can’t be had then maybe motivation or lack of creativity is an issue (hustle and pick up some extra work).
    If you want a beater gun, fine, but if it's all you can afford - then maybe the lack of a gun isn't your problem.

So what about pride of ownership, would you be proud to own a hi-point? Maybe so, but might you have a greater appreciation for another gun (tool)? Might you rather leave your son a different gun? I am not a glock guy, but interestingly enough, damn near every owner is _proud_ to own one! Why? Quality, dependability, and resale value.

Just something to think about, but probably too deep for a gun forum. : )

Notice I am not knocking hi-point as an item, but rather questioning the merit of the decision as it relates to other options (vs time and money to have a different result).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    $41 a week... That's not that much less than our food budget. For example, the son of a friend of mine and his wife just had a baby. Young kids, just getting started, one works days, one works nights, both earn minimum. $510 a week, between the two of them. It would be the height of irresponsibility for him, with wife, kid, diapers, rent, utilities, gas for the car so they can get to work, to take food from the mouths of his family, or to rob his child of time with her father, just to satisfy the elitist feelings of fanboys who sneer at anything "beneath" their dignity. His Hi-point protects his family just fine. It would be sheer stupidity at this point in his life to go drop $500 on a Glock just to be cool.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    So are you calling a Glock or those who own a Glock "Elitist?" Or were you implying my post had "elitist feelings?" I was merely discussing a method of decision making. I don't own a glock.

If $41 is an issue, then use another divisor --- so more than 8 weeks. It was an arbitrary number used to illustrate a point.

Setting emotion aside, why not let him borrow a gun to "protect his family" while he saves for something better?

If it's height of irresponsibility for him to spend $41 extra, then why spend the first $169?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So are you calling a Glock or those who own a Glock "Elitist?" Or were you implying my post had "elitist feelings?" I was merely discussing a method of decision making. I don't own a glock.

If $41 is an issue, then use another divisor --- so more than 8 weeks. It was an arbitrary number used to illustrate a point.

Setting emotion aside, why not let him borrow a gun to "protect his family" while he saves for something better?

If it's height of irresponsibility for him to spend $41 extra, then why spend the first $169?

So... you think that since he's poor, he should abandon his duty to protect his family? For how long... until he gets a gun that meets your approval, or until he earns enough that you think his family is worth saving?

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Again, you miss my point. If you think he needs protection, why don't you lend him a gun? Do you not think he is worth saving?

I am simply talking about a method of making a decision. You want to get emotional at .... Math. Does math frustrate you?

So... you think that since he's poor, he should abandon his duty to protect his family? For how long... until he gets a gun that meets your approval, or until he earns enough that you think his family is worth saving?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I shot one just once at the range another member let me try it.
    I'm kind of indifferent towards them. It shot very well, I have heard they are very reliable. But they are bulky not something you could carry. Would be OK for a truck gun.

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009

I have to say I love the melodramatic approach, Joe.

"He's just doing it for the children!"

You definitely missed the point brother... there's yet another question of value. If you buy a Yugo for $2000 and it lasts a year, you just spent $5.48 per day just to own the car and ended up with $0 in assets. If you spent $20k on something with reasonable quality that lasts 10 years, you spent $5.74 a day and you still have an asset at the end of it. Not to mention total cost of ownership in repairs, fuel economy in newer cars, etc.

This is aside from the fact that someone who is making no money probably has nothing to protect his family from anyway. Get a wooden stick from the brush pile out back, I doubt any heavily armed gangs are going to roll deep into theoretical poor guy's house to steal his food stamps.

Once again, before you miss the point again... I don't even care about what brand you buy. Just don't wonder where the saying: "Rich men buy once, poor men buy twice" comes from. Make smart purchasing decisions... even on a limited budget it's possible. Just takes some creativity, self-discipline, and a modicum of intelligence.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I have to say I love the melodramatic approach, Joe.

"He's just doing it for the children!"

You definitely missed the point brother... there's yet another question of value. If you buy a Yugo for $2000 and it lasts a year, you just spent $5.48 per day just to own the car and ended up with $0 in assets. If you spent $20k on something with reasonable quality that lasts 10 years, you spent $5.74 a day and you still have an asset at the end of it. Not to mention total cost of ownership in repairs, fuel economy in newer cars, etc.

This is aside from the fact that someone who is making no money probably has nothing to protect his family from anyway. Get a wooden stick from the brush pile out back, I doubt any heavily armed gangs are going to roll deep into theoretical poor guy's house to steal his food stamps.[/COLOR]

Once again, before you miss the point again... I don't even care about what brand you buy. Just don't wonder where the saying: "Rich men buy once, poor men buy twice" comes from. Make smart purchasing decisions... even on a limited budget it's possible. Just takes some creativity, self-discipline, and a modicum of intelligence.

So the lives of you and your family are NOT worth defending if you're poor? Ever hear of thugs raping and killing JUST for the thrill of it? Who cares what weapon one choose? Crime is bad in poor areas BECAUSE there are few alarm systems, lighting,etc. Maybe heavily armed gangs won't try to seal his food, but some perv might like to try to rape his wife or kid!

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    So the lives of you and your family are NOT worth defending if you're poor? Ever hear of thugs raping and killing JUST for the thrill of it? Who cares what weapon one choose? Crime is bad in poor areas BECAUSE there are few alarm systems, lighting,etc. Maybe heavily armed gangs won't try to seal his food, but some perv might like to try to rape his wife or kid!

Another point being missed in 3....2....1.... it's a go.

Top Bottom