• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    Touchy subject here for my first thread maybe, but does anyone own an HP ?
    If so, your thoughts and opinions?
    I have a recently purchased C9, "inherited" an older JH when I met my wife (recently rebuilt by the factory and appears in as new working condition), and a flawlessly reliable and accurate S&W Highway Patrolman (soft spot for .357 wheels).
    Years ago I had a Baretta 92F, a Dan Wesson .357, scoped Ruger Redhawk in 9 1/2 stainless, various rifles and shotguns, etc. but all those went by the wayside for different reasons.
    Just returning to the hobby/sport brings lots of new models to light, but the affordable cost of the HP's, the included warranty, and (so far) reliability, seems to make financial sense to me.
    Cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot.
    Anyone ?

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    i would stay away!!!!!! i have seen some bad stuff happen with the handguns. Friend of mine had his go off when he released the slide and ended up with a round going in to his lower leg. This is not the only time i know of this happening to people with hi points. spend a little extra money and get something better for another 200 or so you can get a much better gun.
    (he got rid of it thankfully)

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I would definately stay away from this gun! These are not reliable firearms from what I know. I must admit I have never owned one so my prejudice is not first hand. However, just like Sanzo87 said for another 200-300 you could get something much more reliable. Plus if you are ever considering resale or trading you will be better with pretty much anything else. So unless you are looking for a good paper wieght or boat anchor I would get something different.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I wouldn't ever buy a high point firearm.

I've heard some really bad things about them also.

I certainly wouldn't rely on them in a life and death situation.. just my two cents.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I have to agree and say stay away from Hi Points. Shop around for pistols from manufacturers that have better reputations for quality and reliability. You could easily get a very good pistol in $400-$500 range, which isn't much more to pay considering you'd be getting a well made pistol that will last you much longer.:twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've never owned a Hi Point. Never even shot one. I've looked at one and it's got to be the ugliest handgun I've even seen.

That said, the folks I've spoken with who do own them, tout them as reliable. Ugly but reliable.

I would certainly go out of my way to buy something else. Heck, even a KelTec P11 for $200-300 and function test it for a few hundred rounds. Ruger autos tend to be pretty inexpensive used - also, heavy - but still can be found between $200-300 all day long.

I would take a HiPoint before a Lorcin/Jennings.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I would suggest you look for a police trade Glock. They will usually show lots of finish wear from carry, but are still very functional and would certainly carry a much better trade value if you decide to do that. Bradis on the west side of Indy usually has several of these at fair prices and you will also see several pop up on this site as well.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Touchy subject here for my first thread maybe, but does anyone own an HP ?
    If so, your thoughts and opinions?
    I have a recently purchased C9, "inherited" an older JH when I met my wife (recently rebuilt by the factory and appears in as new working condition), and a flawlessly reliable and accurate S&W Highway Patrolman (soft spot for .357 wheels).
    Years ago I had a Baretta 92F, a Dan Wesson .357, scoped Ruger Redhawk in 9 1/2 stainless, various rifles and shotguns, etc. but all those went by the wayside for different reasons.
    Just returning to the hobby/sport brings lots of new models to light, but the affordable cost of the HP's, the included warranty, and (so far) reliability, seems to make financial sense to me.
    Cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot.
    Anyone ?

Heheheh.... what a load of uninformed gun snobbery!!! :rolleyes:

I own two. Usually when you hear the above dribble it comes from people who have never owned or even shot one.

True... they are ugly, clunky, and weird looking. But so are Glocks!!!! ;)

These guns are generally reliable and accurate. They go bang when you pull the trigger and are surprisingly accurate. The worst thing about the High Points (other than the baseless bias you'll run into) is the triggers which are rather crude. No cruder than a S&W Sigma though.

As far as customer service/satisfaction, you'll get no better from ANY firearm manufacturer in the world!!! 100% Lifetime warranty no matter what. Send your gun in and H/P will refurbish it, bring it up to current standards, add a free magazine or two, and send it back to you with their apologies. Heck... they even tell you to send your gun in from time to time just for a full break-down cleaning and lube... all for free!!!

For some unbiased and reality-based information check here: http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

Send me a PM or email if you need anything!!!

Oh.... and all of the above comes from a guy who is fortunate enough to own a variety of guns from "cheap" High Points to to guns that cost ten times as much!! :patriot:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    True... they are ugly, clunky, and weird looking. But so are Glocks!!!! ;)

I've got to disagree on that, which looks better?
    Ugly.jpg

Or.......
    Beauty.jpg

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    that's like having to choose the big girl or an ugly girl. not too proud about either, but they both have the same intended pourpose.

and having personally used both i will honestly say i don't think the posts in this thread are a matter of bias. that thing was a hunk of poo. my friend got it for next to nothing(probably a murder weapon) and i could see why

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have owned a HP .380, a HP .45, the HP 9mm, and the HiPoint 9mm carnibe rifle.
    They are nice, well built handguns. They are simple machines, let me reword, very very simple machines. I have shot all the calibers that I have owned, and never had any problems with misfires or jamming. I was pleased with the mechanics of the HiPoints. They would make great sofa guns, kitchen cabinets guns, or even a backup in the living room. But as far as a carry gun.... you are going to throw out a hip/ They are very heavy.
    So as a previous owner and shooter of a high-point, keep it as a back up stuffed under the cushions, or under a table. I am not a judge of firearms simply based on the price tag or the name. I consider the mechanics, and reliability.
    It would be interesting to see a HP 9mm (or any caliber HP) take the same beating as a Glock 9mm, and to see which takes the beating with ease. I think the HP might walk away as a winner... could be wrong.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I have owned a HP .380, a HP .45, the HP 9mm, and the HiPoint 9mm carnibe rifle.
    They are nice, well built handguns. They are simple machines, let me reword, very very simple machines. I have shot all the calibers that I have owned, and never had any problems with misfires or jamming. I was pleased with the mechanics of the HiPoints. They would make great sofa guns, kitchen cabinets guns, or even a backup in the living room. But as far as a carry gun.... you are going to throw out a hip/ They are very heavy.
    So as a previous owner and shooter of a high-point, keep it as a back up stuffed under the cushions, or under a table. I am not a judge of firearms simply based on the price tag or the name. I consider the mechanics, and reliability.
    It would be interesting to see a HP 9mm (or any caliber HP) take the same beating as a Glock 9mm, and to see which takes the beating with ease. I think the HP might walk away as a winner... could be wrong.

Well stated!!!! :yesway:
    :cheers:

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I've shot both the Hi-Point and the Glock in 9MM. They felt about the same to me but I did shoot better with the Hi-Point. I wouldn't have one as a primary carry gun, but if I was working in a dirty place and was allowed to carry, I would consider one then.

IMO, the Glock is too expensive for what it is.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I sold a HiPoint C-9 to a guy at work... I wasn't using it, he wanted an inexpensive pistol, I needed the cash.....

I liked mine, it never failed me and I ran a bunch of rounds through it.
    Are they pretty... nope! Do they work? Mine sure did. I may buy another one when I'm in the position to.

Great service support should you need it. I never did.

I also own the 995 carbine. Great little carbine.

Top Bottom