• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    wow. I thought about picking one up for the upcoming camping season but I am beginning to rethink my position. Thought it would make a great canoe gun. Surely, this is an uncommon event?

You could always get a Glock, if that would make you feel better. But then I'd just post some of the plentiful pictures out there of Glocks that have blown up :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wait, they aren't supposed to do that?

Yeah, it's their patented break top ejection system.

You could always get a Glock, if that would make you feel better. But then I'd just post some of the plentiful pictures out there of Glocks that have blown up :D

Do you think that the Glock KB issues could be due to the fact
    that people do believe that they are indestructible and treat them as such?
    Cramming any and all types of ammo through? reloads?
    I know there are reams of info on this but I'm lazy I guess.

I've considered a trip to the darkside as well in .45 (famous last words)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nice, the Desert Eagle slide modification.

deagle7-44-2.jpg

IMGA02581.jpg

baddog12773

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    have you ever????

have you ever seen this kind of damage on a hi-point before?I was thinking of getting one.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    What would you need first

When that happened what did the guy shooting need first a new gun or new underwear?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Look at the gas porosity in the casting! HOLY ****!

IMGA02751.jpg

It is common on relatively cheap (er than wrought) cast parts to allow porosity such as this. They probably do a radiography inspection, but it may be on a sampling plan (ex: 1 check per 10 slides, etc.)

There are aerospace specs out there that essentially say "If you can't see through it, it's fine" regarding levels of porosity. Seems a little scary, but that's what you get when you try to go cheap (er than wrought). I would imagine firearm specifications would be more lenient than aerospace.

It's hard to tell if all of the dimples that look like porosity in the picture actually are porosity or not. Cast fractures appear very coarse like that one when they fail during overload (which this one obv. did). The one thing I do see is the darkened area close to the camera along the left edge of the slide. That internal darkening suggests that that section of the crack has been open to air for some time as the material has likely oxidized. It is even possible that it has been open since it was made, although it would take more testing to verify.

You can't blame the metallurgist. By the way...I'm not defending Hi-Point. I'm a Glock guy. I'm just saying that it's easy to get one bad apple.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I used to think Hi-Points were a feasible option for someone who needed a way to protect themselves and don't have much money.

However a while back I saw pictures of one taken apart and that changed my mind. It looked like someone made it by hand with nothing but a hammer and a screwdriver.

While they might work, you can pick up a used Taurus for not much more and at least they look like they were made in a real gun factory and not something a guy made with pieces of the bed in his prison cell.

I think my brother-in-law picked up his used PT-140 for $200

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    Their metallurgist should be fired...

...or better yet, he should be made TO FIRE about 100 rounds through select pistols.

I still have a feeling somebody did something "wrong" here. I'm no expert on Hi-Points but I'm guessing there was something wrong besides poor manufacturing...

Besides, all he has to do is send it back and they'll fix it! (Assuming, of course, you can did the parts out of your forhead.)

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Someone got an A in metal class :):

It is common on relatively cheap (er than wrought) cast parts to allow porosity such as this. They probably do a radiography inspection, but it may be on a sampling plan (ex: 1 check per 10 slides, etc.)

There are aerospace specs out there that essentially say "If you can't see through it, it's fine" regarding levels of porosity. Seems a little scary, but that's what you get when you try to go cheap (er than wrought). I would imagine firearm specifications would be more lenient than aerospace.

It's hard to tell if all of the dimples that look like porosity in the picture actually are porosity or not. Cast fractures appear very coarse like that one when they fail during overload (which this one obv. did). The one thing I do see is the darkened area close to the camera along the left edge of the slide. That internal darkening suggests that that section of the crack has been open to air for some time as the material has likely oxidized. It is even possible that it has been open since it was made, although it would take more testing to verify.

You can't blame the metallurgist. By the way...I'm not defending Hi-Point. I'm a Glock guy. I'm just saying that it's easy to get one bad apple.

Top Bottom