• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    I purchased a used Winchester 9422M a while ago and decided to do a thorough cleaning. I was surprised to see someone had drilled holes in the end of the buttstock and they were populated with .22 Mag cartridges! I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve as the butt plate has to be removed in order to access the extra cartridges. Any thoughts? IMG-7641.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it a metal plate, Id be worried that dropping the rifle in that case could have been rather... adventuresome.

But even with a plastic or rubber one, I dunno.. weird.
    By the time you got enough pressure to detonate it, the rifle stock would be destroyed. We are talking dropping from a plane, fatal car crash, etc. level of energy.

Those shells rely on a small section of the rim to be impacted.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    In the Mojave I kept a scorpion in the cleaning kit compartment in the butt stock of my M16. It was my pet. On post it was kept in my helmet with the liner pulled out.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have a couple of the Savage 24 Campers that have storage in the buttstock but has a swivel access door .
    Also , it holds 10 shells , but all in one deep hole vs several . Always liked the idea .

I`m surprised that they didn`t use some kind of cushioned pouch and put a lot more in the large stock mount hole ?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As others have noted, that isn't an uncommon practice. Some folks keep waterproof matches in buttstocks, extra ammo and other emergency items. If the user hunts in remote areas or keeps the gun in a vehicle for emergency survival, it isn't a bad idea.

Top Bottom