• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Ive been to palominos one time and ill never go back. The food was terrible, I said something to the waiter about my steak being ICE cold in the center and he told me he would take it to the kitchen and get it warmed up only if I promised to be out of his restaurant by the end of the hour because he had reserved the table for another couple. The manager was informed, we left, paid for nothing and never went back.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    just baiting Kirk Freeman a bit here; it's one of his favorite subjects to pontificate on

There is no need to bait the wolverine. He is here, already stirred up.

Indy, I recommend Saffron. Away from the crowds (over on Fort Wayne) and wonderful new food experiences. Women dig new stuff like that, or you have to keep them confused and off balance.:D

Plus, FRIDAY NIGHT IS LUTE NIGHT!!! We sooooo need an INGO night here.

Welcome to Saffron Cafe! Located in downtown Indianapolis

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I guess I should have read all the previous posts before submitting a reply. I have never been to Cerulian's but my co-worker who is sitting next to me went just last saturday, he says the food was very good and it was a very different experience. He had the monkfish and it was delicious. Not much for a romantic evening though, he says the place is very contemporary.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    When is the anniversary? Let me know and i'll get you some nice parking and/or a nice hotel room. Keep in mind the Expo starts this week but hits its high point later on. I'd also avoid saturdays due to the gang problem.

The Eagle's Nest is kinda neat as it rotates in a circle allowing you to see the whole city.

The Saffron Cafe is awesome, but you have to make a reservation. its located on Ftwayne Ave.

Capitol grill is expensive and stupid.

Harry and Izzy's is part owned by Carl Brizzy (he's the izzy) so NO.

Acapulco Joes is only good for breakfast, however immediately afterwards you'll need a young priest an old priest and a plumber.

Saim square (thai) is really good, not dress uppy good but good f'n food. It's located on virginia ave.

Milano Inn is good italian but prepare to get panhandled as it's a block up from the davidson street home-challenged chateau.

Irias is good but not as good as Milano...however it's a couple of blocks up so you won't get panhandled.

Afterwards, if its open, go the "the best chocolate in town" at 880 mass ave or Yogulate just a little south.

Sorry about the paragraph structure...just sort of thinking out loud and typing.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    There is no need to bait the wolverine. He is here, already stirred up.

Indy, I recommend Saffron. Away from the crowds (over on Fort Wayne) and wonderful new food experiences. Women dig new stuff like that, or you have to keep them confused and off balance.:D

Plus, FRIDAY NIGHT IS LUTE NIGHT!!! We sooooo need an INGO night here.

Welcome to Saffron Cafe! Located in downtown Indianapolis

Again saffron is awesome.

following Kirks idea i suggest you show up to the date without pants and wearing a duck for a hat. Then open palm slap her in the left ear.

The food will be new, and she'll be confused and off balance. You'll be a champion.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you live south of downtown check out La Trattoria off Madison Ave. They honestly have the best steak I've ever had on the southside. I know you mentioned no where in broad ripple but Momma Carollas is mine and my wife's favorite place. It is off 54th street and not to far of a drive. Or you could always take her to Dicks Last Resort :):

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I know you mentioned no where in broad ripple but Momma Carollas is mine and my wife's favorite place. It is off 54th street and not to far of a drive. Or you could always take her to Dicks Last Resort :):

Momma's is easily our favorite place too. It's too bad OP isn't able to make it up there. Have a drink at the bar while you people watch and wait for your table, then sit outside in the courtyard and enjoy a great meal.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Recess in Broad Ripple is by far the best food I have had in over 20 years in the Indianapolis area. Atmosphere is OK, and the food is amazing. Don't think large portions though. There were several courses and we definitely did Not leave hungry, but you had very memorable dishes. I hate Salmon, always have, but I had the best salmon I have ever had there. The server encouraged me to try it, and said she would bring me something else for that course if I didn't like it - it was awesome. Loved it.

anyway, I highly recommend Recess. Great food.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    +1
    Ate there on my anivarsery with the ex fiance. She wanted to go there so I went, food wasn't all that great (for the price). (I may be a little against the place because of the way the night went when she talked to someone else the whole night)
    It didn't strike me as a higher end place either. Sulivans by Keystone at the Crossing was much more impressive.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that about your ex-fiance. Glad she's an ex, though.;)

OP, I've always enjoyed St. Elmo's. I've also heard The Palamino isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lots of great option, but I strongly recommend the Oceanaire if you like seafood. The mussels are fantastic and the baked Alaska are great for dessert. Tell them it's a special occasion when you make your reservation and they'll treat you well.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    For romantic you can always try the Buzzard's Roost (Eagle's Nest), the revolving restaurant on top of the Hyatt, but the food is just so-so. Rock Bottom is just another brew pub and is starting to show some wear and tear. The Claddagh is pretty good. I wasn't impressed with Palamino.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Man...

In general, I'm a sufferer of analysis paralysis....

And this is no exception. *sigh*

One thing that we just realized last night: IBE's ending-weekend is this coming weekend. Our anniversary is this Friday. Friday evening is when we'd thought about heading downtown. In all honesty and sincerity, if there were ANY large event going on, that'd probably turn us off on going. But the history of extra-curricular activities surrounding closing weekend of IBE have probably for sure made it a no-go downtown. :-(

Also - more research on Capital Grille: Probably just a BIT above the price range we were looking at. I was OK with St. Elmo's a few years ago. I guess that's what I was thinking we'd spend.

Lots of "ethnic" food mentioned: while I'd be OK with that, my wife just isn't a fan of "different". *sigh*. So, I do think Saffron Cafe would be a neat place to visit, I don't think SHE would enjoy it. Strangely, she also doesn't like Italian food. It seems that her having spent a month in Italy has ruined her on Italian food here in the US.

Curmudgeonly old man: Don't want anything in Broad Ripple. Too crowded as it is, in general. Finding parking on any of the normal busy weekend nights can be an absolute bear.

Also had a suggestion for La Trattoria: While we've never been there - it's almost "too close" to home. Yes, that's probably a silly reason.

Some of my wife's perusing of the reviews of Sullivan's have made it seem that the service is generally quite good, but the food is kind of "meh". Peterson's in Fishers may also be a contender. But with the both of those, there isn't much nearby "to do". We'd hoped to go for a nice walk along the canal after dinner...

Maybe we'll just go down to Indgo Duck in Franklin. We can walk around down there!

-J-

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Man...

One thing that we just realized last night: IBE's ending-weekend is this coming weekend. Our anniversary is this Friday. Friday evening is when we'd thought about heading downtown. In all honesty and sincerity, if there were ANY large event going on, that'd probably turn us off on going. But the history of extra-curricular activities surrounding closing weekend of IBE have probably for sure made it a no-go downtown. :-(

Also - more research on Capital Grille: Probably just a BIT above the price range we were looking at. I was OK with St. Elmo's a few years ago. I guess that's what I was thinking we'd spend.

Lots of "ethnic" food mentioned: while I'd be OK with that, my wife just isn't a fan of "different". *sigh*. So, I do think Saffron Cafe would be a neat place to visit, I don't think SHE would enjoy it. Strangely, she also doesn't like Italian food. It seems that her having spent a month in Italy has ruined her on Italian food here in the US.

Curmudgeonly old man: Don't want anything in Broad Ripple. Too crowded as it is, in general. Finding parking on any of the normal busy weekend nights can be an absolute bear.

Also had a suggestion for La Trattoria: While we've never been there - it's almost "too close" to home. Yes, that's probably a silly reason.

Some of my wife's perusing of the reviews of Sullivan's have made it seem that the service is generally quite good, but the food is kind of "meh". Peterson's in Fishers may also be a contender. But with the both of those, there isn't much nearby "to do". We'd hoped to go for a nice walk along the canal after dinner...

Maybe we'll just go down to Indgo Duck in Franklin. We can walk around down there!

-J-

With all due respect, could it be that you are over thinking this? I say this because I am guilty of the same thing for such occasions. What ends up happening to me is that I set up this perfect setting and than any deviation feels like a big let down. Pick one that sounds good and enjoy the time with your beautiful wife!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Man...

-J-

I'd look at The Meridian, its up around the Meridian/Kessler area so far enough from downtown on that night. The wife and I went for our anniversary and it was excellent. I had a bone-in ribeye that I found to be better than Ruth's Chris.

Also, I know the chef at the Indigo Duck recently passed away so I'm not sure what its status is.

Best,

Joe

Top Bottom