• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    HB1265 allowing licensing of high fence facilities has been introduced and has passed the House Natural Resources committee this afternoon by a vote of 8-4.

Introduced Version, House Bill 1265

House Natural Resources committee..

Chairman Representative Eberhart - h57@in.gov
    Vice Chair Representative Dodge - h51@in.gov
    Representative Bacon - h75@in.gov
    Representative Cherry - h53@in.gov
    Representative Heaton - h46@in.gov
    Representative Karickhoff - h30@in.gov
    Representative Saunders - h54@in.gov
    Representative Ubelhor - h62@in.gov
    Representative Cheatham - h69@in.gov
    Representative Battles - h64@in.gov
    Representative Dembowski - h17@in.gov
    Representative Grubb - h42@in.gov
    Representative Pflum - h56@in.gov

Please contact YOUR legislator to comment on the upcoming House vote on this bill. If your don't know your legislator you can look them up at::

IGA District Lookup Service

If this passes the House it will move on to the Senate.

More than likely it will be then assigned to the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.

That committee is made up of..

• Ryan Mishler Chair
    • John Waterman Ranking Member
    • Brent Steele
    • Carlin Yoder
    • Dennis Kruse
    • Jim Banks
    • Jim Tomes
    • Richard Young Ranking Minority Member
    • Lindel Hume
    • Timothy Skinner

It would not hurt to contact these members of the Senate committee ahead of time as they oft times work hand in hand with their house counterparts.

Thanks,

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I'm not a big fan of caged hunting. Unless there is some type of disability that makes sense.

Next they will have internet hunting. I have seen it done. No sport at all.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Score one for freedom.

If one guy contracts with another to kill his pet deer, I'm not sure what business it could be of the State or me or anyone not party to the contract.

It has no appeal to me, but neither does riding an ATV to the base of a ladder stand climbing up and waiting for a dink deer to walk past. Some people even buy meat that someone else killed, at the store, if you can believe that.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I agree with Yeah to a degree. If someone want to pay money to shoot a pen raised deer, I don't care.
    What I do care about is the spread of CWD and from what I have read, deer farms are big problem areas for the spreading of CWD.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    It is not a sport, and how could somebody get satisfaction out of shooting a caged animal anyways. I suppose if you are lazy it might work out okay for you. Disabilities: There are free range outfits that put you on free range deer in the case of disabilities. You can Google them. They do some fantastic stuff to help people hunt that wouldn't otherwise be able to hunt.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I agree with Yeah to a degree. If someone want to pay money to shoot a pen raised deer, I don't care.
    What I do care about is the spread of CWD and from what I have read, deer farms are big problem areas for the spreading of CWD.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. And I will add.....
    Canned hunt operators should be help financially responsible by posting a bond sufficient enough to cover any cost with eradication of penned and escaped deer.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I believe that even if this passes no hog hunting is allowed for fear of accidental release. went on a hog hunt in MO high fenced. we were hand feeding deer to be sold for a couple grand. the hogs were the only wild thing out there.

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I could care less about the hunting, this is a major public health and natural resource risk. Here in MI, a captive heard was found with CWD and Wild hogs are taking over the state. Simply not worth the risk.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Technically we've come full circle here. This is the type of hunting that common people were not allowed to do in the Old World. We now have the freedom to decide. Sure there will be some tame/slob operations but you can't consider them the standard.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    If you read the bill it doesn't state DEER it calls them "cervidae" that is not only white-tailed deer but it also includes, elk, moose, red deer, reindeer, fallow deer, roe deer and chital. I just wonder how many of these non-native breeds will be brought into the state, & what will be the damage done the our native breeds when an accidental release occurs? I have not read any thing that covers what will happen if this occurs.:dunno:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Canned hunt operators should be help financially responsible by posting a bond sufficient enough to cover any cost with eradication of penned and escaped deer.

There is no amount of money that can fix a CWD problem. CWD can wipe out deer herds for generations so how could you place a bond value on the loss of native deer and deer hunting opertunities for possibly a lifetime.
    The answer is to contact everyone involved and tell them "NO", and don't wait to do it. I don't know how far down this is on the list but bills can pass in just a day.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There is no amount of money that can fix a CWD problem. CWD can wipe out deer herds for generations so how could you place a bond value on the loss of native deer and deer hunting opertunities for possibly a lifetime.
    The answer is to contact everyone involved and tell them "NO", and don't wait to do it. I don't know how far down this is on the list but bills can pass in just a day.

Just look at the extreme expense Wisconsin has went to..

Look at the Bovine TB that cropped up in indiana and where it cropped up at..

Look at how much the taxpayers paid to depopulate the Indiana deer farms due to Bovine TB..

It ain't pretty guys....

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011

well said

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Is there going to be a minimum on the amount of land that can be fence in. I believe if someone wants to fence in a very large area, the deer are still basically free range. Say 1000 acres or so? Just curious, because if someone wants to make a business or their own with their 1000 acres, who I am to tell them no? I feel that it is your land and you should be able to do with it what you please short of disposing of poisonous waste and such.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Is there going to be a minimum on the amount of land that can be fence in. I believe if someone wants to fence in a very large area, the deer are still basically free range. Say 1000 acres or so? Just curious, because if someone wants to make a business or their own with their 1000 acres, who I am to tell them no? I feel that it is your land and you should be able to do with it what you please short of disposing of poisonous waste and such.

Uh, no....

That is why they have zoning laws...

Would you want a pig farm or a brooder house start up on ground upwind from your home?

Top Bottom