• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    How is fence hunting any different than "feeder" hunting? I've seen way to many "hunt" videos from guys in a hide about 100yds from a timed feeder. The corn lets down, the deer come running, and the "hunter" gets his prize. When it comes to food, animals are much like people, we'll go where it is cheap and easy.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Is there going to be a minimum on the amount of land that can be fence in. I believe if someone wants to fence in a very large area, the deer are still basically free range. Say 1000 acres or so? Just curious, because if someone wants to make a business or their own with their 1000 acres, who I am to tell them no? I feel that it is your land and you should be able to do with it what you please short of disposing of poisonous waste and such.

If the deer were almost free roaming there most likely wouldn't be an issue. In the past many of these pen hunting outfits had pens of just a few acres or less. When you have an animal worth tens of thousands of dollars they are kept under a watchful eye. I don't remember all the details but I thought some of the high-fence hunts were going for $30,000 to $50,000 for a "trophy" animal. (Keep in mind that most, if not all, record keeping organizations only recognize deer taken by free-chase.) I remember some country/western stars getting into hot water over a penned hunt like that.
    Do a search on CWD and you will see why we are against it.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Just got an email from the ISR. The canned hunting bill appears to have been defeated.

"We received some very good news yesterday in that Senate President Long has buried HB1265 (Shooting Preserves bill) which should effectively kill it for this session. Thanks to those who took the time to write and call your legislators, write your letters to the Editor, etc. All of your efforts were of great value in this effort.

HOWEVER, we should not let our guard down yet. We must keep the letters and calls to your Senators and Representatives going just in case there is any move to bring this back to life in some other form. We cannot let our guard down until the session is actually over at the end of February.

We also want these legislators to know how seriously this issue is opposed by Hoosier sportsmen so that they don't want to bring it back in next year's session.

Lastly, I want everyone to know that it Governor Daniels deserves a HUGE thank you from us for coming out with such a strong statement against Canned Hunting two days ago. Within 24 hours of his statement of opposition, the bill was dead. The Governor stood strong with us on this one, and I will soon be sending him a letter of appreciation from the ISR."

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Just got an email from the ISR. The canned hunting bill appears to have been defeated.

"We received some very good news yesterday in that Senate President Long has buried HB1265 (Shooting Preserves bill) which should effectively kill it for this session. Thanks to those who took the time to write and call your legislators, write your letters to the Editor, etc. All of your efforts were of great value in this effort.

HOWEVER, we should not let our guard down yet. We must keep the letters and calls to your Senators and Representatives going just in case there is any move to bring this back to life in some other form. We cannot let our guard down until the session is actually over at the end of February.

We also want these legislators to know how seriously this issue is opposed by Hoosier sportsmen so that they don't want to bring it back in next year's session.

Lastly, I want everyone to know that it Governor Daniels deserves a HUGE thank you from us for coming out with such a strong statement against Canned Hunting two days ago. Within 24 hours of his statement of opposition, the bill was dead. The Governor stood strong with us on this one, and I will soon be sending him a letter of appreciation from the ISR."

The deer pen $hooter$ are "true believers" and they will be back again and again...

Besides Mitch will be replaced soon.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    To me this high fence hunting is no different than the farmer in Indiana I read about in the newspaper that is selling goats to people from the middle east. One middle-easterner stopped one day and asked the farmer if he could buy his goat for big $$, farmer said, "Sure can!"...Then the buyer said, "I need to kill it by our countrys' custom..can I kill it here under my religious traditions?"..farmer said..'You betcha!"..Now the farmer has a big sideline selling goats to muslims and allowing them to kill and skin them the way they want to on his property. The USDA even checks on the butchering operations.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    To me this high fence hunting is no different than the farmer in Indiana I read about in the newspaper that is selling goats to people from the middle east. One middle-easterner stopped one day and asked the farmer if he could buy his goat for big $$, farmer said, "Sure can!"...Then the buyer said, "I need to kill it by our countrys' custom..can I kill it here under my religious traditions?"..farmer said..'You betcha!"..Now the farmer has a big sideline selling goats to muslims and allowing them to kill and skin them the way they want to on his property. The USDA even checks on the butchering operations.

aside from the prayers, all they do is slit the throat and bleed it out..
    I have no problem with that.. you don't need to shoot farm raised critters..

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I have seen farmers shoot hogs between the eyes with a .22 rifle...The point is, it is a business providing a service for people to 'hunt' . The farmer owns these animals, that he bought like any other livestock. People get emotional over this fenced 'hunting' but it is strictly a business. I saw on TV last night one of these operations with 1,800 acres under fence in Missouri provide 2 hunts to terminally ill kids. They both killed huge bucks and were absolute thrilled. it was a very nice thing to do for these two boys. These two kids were not physically capable of hardcore hunting. I have killed more deer than many guys, all fair chase, never been to a "High Fence"..but I think they have their place for certain people. This is America..remember our "Freedoms"...if you don"t want to go to a HIgh Fence...don't. Some people do not want us to hunt..period.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Ive seen similar "terminally ill kids" hunts shows and they are not all on shooting preserves.

I've also read posts on the deer farmers forums where they did some of that to garner good will among the decision makers.

The Mafia used to be a major supporter of the Catholic churches in Chicago. Doing few good things doesn't make everything one does OK.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I agree. The government should definitely tell us which animals we can kill in fences and without. I for one wouldn't feel safe without the assurance that the DNR was looking out for my best interests. I have been hoping that we could get more regulation.

Along these lines lets also write the elected folks to get rid of veal, non-free range chickens etc. I hate to think that my filet didn't have a sporting chance.

Also I think guns make hunting too easy. Deer can't shoot at us so shooting at them seems unethical. Knives and recurve bows only. Anything else is hardly sporting.

I just hope the government keeps helping us understand the free market and personal liberty through increasing regulations so we don't lose track of how much more ethical they are than the common hunter or business man. I don't know if it is too late to get our morality made into law this session but I hope not. I can't wait to enforce my will on everyone!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Public Health issue. Hunting, ethics, etc aside. Environmental and public health issue.

This is so true. Public health should always come first. That is why so many hunters associations have advocated mandatory immunizations for humans. The common good is always so much more important than the individual. How is it that people don't dedicate themselves to the common good?

It's so lucky we have a legislature that can mitigate our weakness and tell us what we should do. Or you know, face the wrath of the law.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville

As stated before, the reason I have to be against high-fence hunting is thespread of CWD. In my book it is nothing against anyone's right to hunt. If youwant to hunt penned deer, I don't care; it doesn't impact me in the least,provided the deer don't infect the native population. Wiping out populations ofdeer for generations does affect me and my family. It's very much like afactory making a product for a profit. That's fine and I support it. More powerto them. But when the factory starts dumping toxins into my favorite river andkilling all the fish, I don't support it.

Fact: CWD is spread by transporting infected deer. Fact: Deer farms are hotspots for CWD. Fact: Deer escape from high-fence farms.

Do a Google search on CWD and you will see how serious this is.

CWD= Chronic Wasting Disease

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    As stated before, the reason I have to be against high-fence hunting is thespread of CWD. In my book it is nothing against anyone's right to hunt. If youwant to hunt penned deer, I don't care; it doesn't impact me in the least,provided the deer don't infect the native population. Wiping out populations ofdeer for generations does affect me and my family. It's very much like afactory making a product for a profit. That's fine and I support it. More powerto them. But when the factory starts dumping toxins into my favorite river andkilling all the fish, I don't support it.

Fact: CWD is spread by transporting infected deer. Fact: Deer farms are hotspots for CWD. Fact: Deer escape from high-fence farms.

Agreed...when, not if, CWD comews to Indiana it will be in the back of a truck or livestock trailer

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

I concur with your premise: All hotspots for disease should be eliminated.

Fact: Hospitals are one of the most common purveyors of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.
    Fact: health care related infections are usually more deadly than community acquired.

Google it :nosocomial infections, iatrogenic infections

I find it encouraging that someone else is finally recognizing the seriousness of these type of situations and we will be able to enact regulations and legislate against hospitals! If we are able to eliminate hospitals we can decrease infection rates everywhere. Pretty soon we will have the government we need to save us from every form of disease!

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Why does everyone immediately aim the cross hairs at Deer. i would like to have a nearby opportunity to harvest wild boar, but not at the risk of a farmer's livelyhood. Game fences for exotic animals have proved wildly successful in other states: Tennessee for example. Both Ted Moody's Clarke Range and Wilderness Outfitters have high fenced game ranches that exceed 1,000acres. Now call me crazy, but 1,000 acres is a lot of ground to cover and does not sound like a gimme!

I still prefer free range hunting to fenced, but why shouldn't everyone have the choice. If I own 1,000acres and I want to fence it and run an outfitter operation on that land, why shouldn't i be able to? Would denying a land owner that priviledge be an infringement upon his rights??? Not a statement, merely a question.

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    If you make this about hunting, no one will win, including hunters. There are just too many risks. Here in MI we have a huge feral hog issue due to a game farm. One of the facilties had a CWD + deer. too much risk.

Top Bottom