• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Folks have been saying it for years and there have been more than a few studies on it, but now it's looking like HFCS is being linked to the global epidemic of diabetes. Countries with high HFCS usage are experiencing heightened levels of type 2 diabetes. The time to ditch this overused sweetener is long past. Sugar and other natural sweeteners worked just fine for ages, and would again if allowed to. While it's nice to see that many food manufacturers in the US are ditching HFCS, too many in the drinks world are still pushing it. Hopefully, they'll catch on and change their formulas back to what they once were.

Researchers find high fructose corn syrup-global prevalence of diabetes link

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Quick, pass some more restrictive laws. Think about the children!!!
    Not sure we need more laws where HFCS is concerned. Getting rid of the subsidies to companies like ADM and the like would go a long way. So would ending the sugar subsidies and protectionism that's been going on for decades. Many manufacturers are slowly coming around to the fact that consumers don't want HFCS in their food and drink. The bread company I buy my bread from now proudly displays badges on their products that tout their freedom from HFCS. This after years of their delivery people defending HFCS. The market can correct itself and get rid of bad products, it just takes informing enough people.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It will take an informed people to correct the market.

HFCS is a VERY economical way to sweeten a product.

We do our level best to avoid it whenever possible.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" is responsible for millions of deaths by Malaria of poor people in third world countries.

I wonder how many deaths by starvation (CONFORM you corn syrup eating redneck Cretins!!!!! I SAID CONFORM!!!! IT's for your own good!!!) this latest Health Nazi fad will cause?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" is responsible for millions of deaths by Malaria of poor people in third world countries.

I wonder how many deaths by starvation (CONFORM you corn syrup eating redneck Cretins!!!!! I SAID CONFORM!!!! IT's for your own good!!!) this latest Health Nazi fad will cause?

I don't understand the correlation.

HFCS has no nutrition value. Even the calories in it can be properly metabolized without first being converted to fat in the liver.

All it does is give you an insulin overdose, followed by a crash, that long term becomes insulin resistance leading to diabetes.

It's bad ju-ju.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Lets here it for lobbyists!

Like the NRA? Lobbying isn't evil, corrupt elected officials are.

Yeah, I've never been much on conspiracy theories, but I think if I wanted to intentionally kill our nation I couldn't do a much better job than the people who have designed our current food supply system. Being poor and eating healthy requires a lot more effort than it should.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Like the NRA? Lobbying isn't evil, corrupt elected officials are.

Yeah, I've never been much on conspiracy theories, but I think if I wanted to intentionally kill our nation I couldn't do a much better job than the people who have designed our current food supply system. Being poor and eating healthy requires a lot more effort than it should.

:dunno: If you just stick to fruits, veggies, and meat, (from the counter, not the can) it really isn't that hard, or expensive.

Add in some rice and beans, and you're good to go.

Bananas are $.54/lb
    Apples are 3/$1
    Chicken quarters are $1/lb or less
    5 lbs of rice is only a couple of bucks, as is the same bag of beans.
    Potatoes are cheap too.

Cans of veggies and beans in just water are .79/can or less.

It's really not that hard until you start getting into breads, tortillas, sausages, lunch meats, canned fruit in syrup, etc. Then you're paying big money for the organic or clean version.

I was doing Paleo before it was cool to be paleo. We just called it farming.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    HFCS has no nutrition value. Even the calories in it can be properly metabolized without first being converted to fat in the liver.

HFCS is at least 30% glucose, which not only has nutritional value, it has the same nutritional value that glucose from honey or sugar has.

I am not a fan of HFCS myself, but let's keep it factual here. Even if you pretend that the fructose itself has no nutritional value (itself a claim that I think is seriously questionable, every cell in your body can use glucose for energy--it's basically self-evident that glucose has nutritional value.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    HFCS is at least 30% glucose, which not only has nutritional value, it has the same nutritional value that glucose from honey or sugar has.

I am not a fan of HFCS myself, but let's keep it factual here. Even if you pretend that the fructose itself has no nutritional value (itself a claim that I think is seriously questionable, every cell in your body can use glucose for energy--it's basically self-evident that glucose has nutritional value.

True, there is some glucose in HFCS.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't buy into this magic food nonsense.

Tell these children to take their insulin like the CDC tells them.

When will we have the diabeetus vaccine, anyways?

2uh16wqx3h.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    True, there is some glucose in HFCS.

It's supposed to be 40% glucose--which I would call more than "some," but even that is questionable because there's incentive for them to up the fructose in order to make it taste even sweeter.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Merely anecdotal, but I was a heavy consumer of HFCS, mostly in soft drinks, and *ping* insulin resistance, blood sugar in the 200-300 range, bad stuff. Quit that nonsense mostly (still have one once in a while), and my insulin seems to be working now, even with plenty of actual sugar. Been off the meds for months, still check it once in a while, but no problem. Correlation? Causation? Dunno, but I'm doing ok.

Top Bottom