• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    anyone ever owned or shot one? i heard that they are very accurate from 100 yards in. they aren't pretty , but for the price can you go wrong?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Welcome to INGO. HiPoint is a pretty heated topic on here. The guys that like em, love em, and the guys that don't like em, wouldn't take one if you gave it to them. I had one and really didn't like it. Felt clunky and cheap. For around the same price, you could have a kel-tec sub 2000 carbine. IMO, much better feel and finish, plus it uses glock mags, including the ones for the 18.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Eeyup what he said. They are clunky and toy like. Mine went bang every time I oulled the trigger, Low mag capacity and plastic sights had mine sold after a couple years.
    Wouldn't wanna tote one into combat!

Last edited:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have one I got in a trade. Originally planed on selling it but after I shot it a few times I decided to keep iti was suprised how accurate it is, even out to 100 yards. Thought it was to ugly though and put it an an ATI stock. Now it feels and handles better, just wish it had larger capacity mags. To me it is a plinker and it is fun to take out to shoot. Not sure if I would use it for anything else

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have one and love to shoot it. It is available in 9, 40 and soon 45.

fgLG.gif

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I had one and put it in an AIT stock with an inexpensive red dot scope. I was amazed at how accurate and reliable it was at 50 yards and in. I could not get past the cheap looking and feeling trigger so I gave it to my son who shoots the x out of the ten ring at the nearby indoor range. I would probably not buy another unless they clean up the cheap looks a bit.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Have a 995 TS Got it from a fellow INGO member. :ingo: So far - I rather like it. Hoping to put a few downrange this weekend with it, and really put it through its' paces. And as the picture EPRobertson put up shows - the styling has come a LONG way from the old "Planet of the Apes" gun.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The mags are the real drawback...for that reason alone I wouldn't want one. Now if you now a good welder...and I mean very good...who is also a good gunsmith then a Suomi mag could be converted...would give you 72 rounds...that might be interesting.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Not sure how big of mags you are referring to , 451D. ?? I have the stock 10 rounders + the new 15 rd ones. and yes they work like a champ. Not sure how that's a "problem"??

Not necessarily disagreeing - just curious if it was the capacity that was the problem you are referring to, or there's something else that I haven't heard of?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My 9mm carbines hold a minimum of 33 rounds, and go up to 72 rounds using factory magazines that are 100% reliable. I believe the only 15 round mags for the High Point are made by Pro Mag, a company I have not have any luck with...if yours work then good enough.

The High Points are inexpensive...that is their best redeeming feature. I would just prefer to spend a bit more and have a gun that will last for a very long time. Depending on how often and how much you shoot the High Point will last many a lifetime, however I know guys who have shot them to pieces in a couple years. Any blowback gun of inexpensive design using large amounts of stamped steel and plastic will eventually beat itself to death...nature of the beast.

Again...nothing wrong with a blowback gun...the Astra's were great firearms but look how heavily they had to be built to last.

slinkus25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    I don't like them, however with that said...
    My friend's shot every time I pulled the trigger, but I just couldn't get over the clunkiness.
    In my mind guns should be smooth like butter.

On another note going with "for the money" argument, a few years ago I inherited a cheap 25mm pistol. I shot half a box of ammo out of it, then gave it to my friend to shoot. Once his 3rd shot the slide fractured in half and jettisoned downrange. Fortunately nobody was hurt but it just goes to show you get what you pay for. I really did enjoy shooting that little pocket pistol, but many of those are just accidents waiting to happen.

Just remember it's cheaper to save up a little more money for that better gun than to pay hospital bills.

Last edited:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I was at the range one day and a fellow INGO'er (didn't know it at the time) had one. He was having some difficulty getting it sighted in with the optics he had on it (problem was more his eyesight than the gun/optics fault). I did a little spotting work for him also sent 2-3 mags downrange. I was impressed for a HP. I've never owned one nor shot one up to this point. I have say that it dialed right in a placed really nice groups at 25yrds but we didn't shoot any further than that. Now, by saying that I was impressed, doesn't mean that I'm running out to buy one, just happy with the accuracy. I still felt that it was a little less than I want in a gun. I did end up shooting his HP pistol as well, I felt that it was much more clunky than I would accept in a handgun though he seemed to like it.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have the carbine and I can say that it eats any kind of ammo, even stuff that my 9mm pistols won't even feed.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't like them, however with that said...
    My friend's shot every time I pulled the trigger, but I just couldn't get over the clunkiness.
    In my mind guns should be smooth like butter.

On another note going with "for the money" argument, a few years ago I inherited a cheap 25mm pistol. I shot half a box of ammo out of it, then gave it to my friend to shoot. Once his 3rd shot the slide fractured in half and jettisoned downrange. Fortunately nobody was hurt but it just goes to show you get what you pay for. I really did enjoy shooting that little pocket pistol, but many of those are just accidents waiting to happen.

Just remember it's cheaper to save up a little more money for that better gun than to pay hospital bills.

Generally true, but you're not talking about Hi Points. They are a quality weapon for a cheap price, which is the mission of the company. Utterly reliable and the best warranty in the gun business. I think they're ugly, but I've had two, and they are reliable and accurate.

Margoblixxen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    I have one and love to shoot it. It is available in 9, 40 and soon 45.

fgLG.gif

This exact model I own, a couple of 15 round mags is ore than enough, in any case since everyone wants to shoot the tool when we go shooting, we limit ourselves to 5 rounds per turn so we can move along faster:draw:.

I even compared it side by side with the rugger in question, well the difference is the rugger is more refined to the touch, plastic all the same.
    But the rugger's owner had to admit to is reliability and accuracy.

The cheek rest on the hipoint carbine had to be smmothed out because it seems to bite your cheek after some rounds.

Plastic sights? I don't see that at all , all iron, real easy to adjust too, I personally decided to remove the iron sights altogether, to use a red dot, which was working perfectly, but everyone else seems to prefer the iron sights, so iron sights it is, here with glow-on.com phosphorescent stuff:
    P1010063.JPG

P1010070.JPG

And of course is futile to argue about personal preferences:" Mine is better, no mine is better, no mi..." however let me tell you the price of this carbine doesn't reflect at all on its accuracy.
    Even though it uses a pistol caliber round, the length of the barrel efficiently uses that round pressure to deliver it at a mayor distance than a pistol.
    So say in comparison with a 4" gun barrel, this barrel will deliver at longer distances and of course at a short distance it makes it lethal.

Think the difference between spiting out a orange seed out of your mouth vs. blowing the same orange seed with a plastic straw.

Top Bottom